It is currently 24 Feb 2018, 00:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Interestingly, a ripe yellow banana appears to glow blue under

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
S
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Interestingly, a ripe yellow banana appears to glow blue under [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2016, 09:27
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

65% (00:48) correct 35% (00:51) wrong based on 322 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Interestingly, a ripe yellow banana appears to glow blue under ultraviolet light, which is likely due to the chlorophyll breakdown that occurs in the peel as the fruit ripens.

A. which is likely due to the chlorophyll breakdown that occurs
B. a phenomenon likely due to the chlorophyll breakdown that occurs
C. because of the chlorophyll breakdown
D. which is likely due to chlorophyll breakdown occurring
E. a phenomenon that is likely because of the chlorophyll breakdown occurs

I request someone to throe light on the usage of due to here in option. According to theory, Due to only refers to nouns and not actions.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, International Business
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Re: Interestingly, a ripe yellow banana appears to glow blue under [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2016, 09:51
Interestingly, a ripe yellow banana appears to glow blue under ultraviolet light, which is likely due to the chlorophyll breakdown that occurs in the peel as the fruit ripens.

A. which is likely due to the chlorophyll breakdown that occurs - Which refers to ultraviolet light - not correct
B. a phenomenon likely due to the chlorophyll breakdown that occurs - Correct
C. because of the chlorophyll breakdown - Changes meaning of the sentence - not correct
D. which is likely due to chlorophyll breakdown occurring -Which refers to ultraviolet light - not correct
E. a phenomenon that is likely because of the chlorophyll breakdown occurs - Where does the breakdown occurs ? it should be that occurs - not correct
Top Contributor
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2016, 15:47
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
IMO: I feel C would be a better choice.
‘Due to’ is classified as adjectival while ‘because of’ is termed as adverbial. This means that ‘due to’ has to modify a noun such as “appearance of the yellow banana”… This is not what we have in the topic.
On the contrary, “because of” modifies a verb such as “appears to glow blue”, which is what we have in the stimulus.

Secondly, in B, the appositive modifier – a phenomenon- is supposed to stand for another noun appearing prior to that. Here the only noun that is available is the yellow banana and we can’t call yellow banana a phenomenon.
However, my stronger intuition is that GMAT may like to stay clear of such controversies where scholarship is deeply divided, unless somebody says that this is an official question. Of course, we can reject A and D for their foul of the touch rule of ‘which’ and we can dump E for the ungrammatical follow up of a clause after the compound preposition ‘because of’.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2016, 23:14
daagh wrote:
IMO: I feel C would be a better choice.
‘Due to’ is classified as adjectival while ‘because of’ is termed as adverbial. This means that ‘due to’ has to modify a noun such as “appearance of the yellow banana”… This is not what we have in the topic.
On the contrary, “because of” modifies a verb such as “appears to glow blue”, which is what we have in the stimulus.

Secondly, in B, the appositive modifier – a phenomenon- is supposed to stand for another noun appearing prior to that. Here the only noun that is available is the yellow banana and we can’t call yellow banana a phenomenon.
However, my stronger intuition is that GMAT may like to stay clear of such controversies where scholarship is deeply divided, unless somebody says that this is an official question. Of course, we can reject A and D for their foul of the touch rule of ‘which’ and we can dump E for the ungrammatical follow up of a clause after the compound preposition ‘because of’.

Sir, don't you think here a phenomenon refers to the glowing blue under UV radiations?

Also, I believe due to is correctly used with "chlorophyll breakdown" here.

As far as C is concerned,

Interestingly, a ripe yellow banana appears to glow blue under ultraviolet light, because of the chlorophyll breakdown occurs in the peel as the fruit ripens.

This sentence seems awkward to me. Also, there seems some issue with the dependent and independent clauses here.

Please help me understand if I am missing anything.

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

How to use this forum in THE BEST way?

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2016, 14:55
Top Contributor
Abhi
Does C have the verb "occurs' ; As far as I see, the verb occurs is not part of choice C. So what follows in the second part is not a clause but a phrase,So the issue about dependent and independent clause is not there in C.
In effect C is :Interestingly, a ripe yellow banana appears to glow blue under ultraviolet light, because of the chlorophyll breakdown in the peel as the fruit ripens.
This is a simple sentence with a modifier attached to it and not a complex sentence as you may have perhaps thought. But how you set aside C aside the awkwardness?

For the 'phenomenon' standing for the process of glowing blue under UV light, I felt that a singular noun should refer to another noun rather than a process. However, your stand would not be wrong either.

Only thing is that ‘due to’ is mostly preceded by a form of the verb ‘to be’, which is absent in B. I would feel, ‘a phenomenon that is likely due to the chlorophyll breakdown that occurs’ would have been more grammatical

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: 314 Q167 V147

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2016, 23:28
Hi,
I prefer B to C because C somehow gives the sense of certainty by obviating "likely".
Additionally,appositive modifier could modify either the specific noun or the entire clause;hence,it is correct as is.

Please correct me if I misunderstand something
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2016, 05:23
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

This question should be solved in 20 seconds in the EXAM. B and E have appositive modifiers and hence a preferred construction. Answer has to be between B and E.
E is wrong because of the wrong usage of BECAUSE OF. Hence mark B and move ahead

Now detailed explanation

a: COMMA + WHICH wrongly modifying UV light. Hence WRONG. Also, usage of DUE TO is wrong here. HOW TO CHECK THIS - If you can replace DUE TO with CAUSED BY and the sentence still make sense then usage of DUE TO is correct. Try to replace DUE TO here with CAUSED BY. Sentence would be non nonsensical. D is not correct for the same reason

b. CORRECT. Lets hold it for now

c. Slight change in the meaning as LIKELY is removed. The original sentence and all other option have LIKELY which is a possibility but C makes it CERTAIN. Hence wrong

d. SAME AS A

E We can not have a clause after BECAUSE OF. We must have a Noun after Because OF. Please remember that a clause can follow BECAUSE and a Noun can follow BECAUSE OF.
RULE: 'Because of X' is an incorrect idiom when X is a clause. E.g. : Retailers reported moderate gains in their November sales, as much because of their sales of a year earlier being so bad as that shoppers were getting a head start on buying their holiday gifts.

Because:

By itself, the word “because” is a subordinate conjunction. What does that mean? It means that this word introduces a subordinate clause. A subordinate clause, like any clause, must have a complete [noun] + [verb] structure within it

Because of:

The words “because of” are a compound preposition. Prepositions are designed to be followed by only a noun —- “because of the rain“, “because of the parade“, “because of the child’s temper tantrum“, etc. The object of this or any preposition can be a gerund or gerund phrase —- “because of waiting for the senator“, “because of limited parking“,

Hope it helps :-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Affiliations: NA
GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2017, 06:16
Nevernevergiveup wrote:

I request someone to throe light on the usage of due to here in option. According to theory, Due to only refers to nouns and not actions.

Difference between due to vs because of is well discussed here https://e-gmat.com/blogs/due-to-vs-because-of/

#If you like my post , please encourage me by giving Kudos :)

Re: Interestingly, a ripe yellow banana appears to glow blue under   [#permalink] 10 Apr 2017, 06:16

Interestingly, a ripe yellow banana appears to glow blue under

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap