GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Aug 2018, 13:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

International Exposure

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 16 May 2016
Posts: 130
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare
GPA: 3
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
CAT Tests
International Exposure  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2018, 22:33
Hi Mam,
I am planning to apply in R2 for INSEAD , working on my essays and GMAT. I have one quick question here: I don't have any International Exposure in case of work- however, I have worked with International client very closely from start of my career. To fill the gap, I am planning to have 1 week volunteering program internationally(I am keenly involved in child education and mentoring in my country-India) , but this is very tentative plan and it's post GMAT and in middle of application process. Do you suggest me taking this program? Also, I have experience of 31 months right now and while joining INSEAD it will be around 40 months.
_________________

Not Giving UP! Kudos if you like the question :)

VP
VP
User avatar
P
Status: MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Joined: 24 Mar 2015
Posts: 1384
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: International Exposure  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2018, 22:58
1
Cbirole wrote:
Hi Mam,
I am planning to apply in R2 for INSEAD , working on my essays and GMAT. I have one quick question here: I don't have any International Exposure in case of work- however, I have worked with International client very closely from start of my career. To fill the gap, I am planning to have 1 week volunteering program internationally(I am keenly involved in child education and mentoring in my country-India) , but this is very tentative plan and it's post GMAT and in middle of application process. Do you suggest me taking this program? Also, I have experience of 31 months right now and while joining INSEAD it will be around 40 months.
Cbirole

When you say you don't have any International exposure in case of work?
Do you mean to say that you have never worked in another country? Because that is a great way to demonstrate International orientation, however it is definitely not the only way.

If I were you I would focus on this International client, and I'm hoping that maybe you meant to say International clients plural, and articulate what you have gained from working from them in terms of your International Outlook and the diversity of your perspective.

Maybe talk about how it has helped you question certain assumptions or make you think bigger in certain ways. This is kind of the objective of an international program, that you have an even bigger view of the enterprise and opportunities because you see it with the cultural angle.

With regards to the one-week immersion thing, I would only do that if you really truly believe that you have the time to spare in terms of your applications. You don't want it to look like a last-ditch effort. One week is really just not long enough to really develop a trend.

I would honestly try to think about other ways to attack this, obviously your International clients but then maybe have you done some traveling?

what are some other things that you have done to show your interest in Multicultural perspective.

also, demonstrate how you need to attend an international MBA program to achieve your goals.

So looking backwards and looking forward are both good ideas but I think trying to sell a one-week trip would just seem a little bit sad.

http://MBAPrepCoach.com
_________________

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Experts' Global Representative
User avatar
G
Joined: 07 Jul 2017
Posts: 425
Re: International Exposure  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2018, 05:38
1
Cbirole wrote:
Hi Mam,
I am planning to apply in R2 for INSEAD , working on my essays and GMAT. I have one quick question here: I don't have any International Exposure in case of work- however, I have worked with International client very closely from start of my career. To fill the gap, I am planning to have 1 week volunteering program internationally(I am keenly involved in child education and mentoring in my country-India) , but this is very tentative plan and it's post GMAT and in middle of application process. Do you suggest me taking this program? Also, I have experience of 31 months right now and while joining INSEAD it will be around 40 months.


Hi Cbirole,

While you may not have experience working in different countries, your work with an international client too would count as international exposure. We recommend that you play up this dimension in your essays and focus on your learnings while working with the client, how you broadened your perspectives, and how all of this will help you contribute in a number of ways to the experience of your classmates.

Quite frankly, a one-week long volunteering program would not be much of an add-on. It is always better to show continued interest in an activity to showcase that you are truly passionate about the same. While there is no harm in signing up for the same, particularly if you have the bandwidth to, please do not accord it too much space in your essays.

Should you feel the need to discuss your candidature in greater detail, feel free to reach out to us.

Thanks.

All the best!
_________________

Akanksha Baldawa
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Preparation Online | 15 GMAT Practice Tests
MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 16 May 2016
Posts: 130
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare
GPA: 3
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
CAT Tests
Re: International Exposure  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2018, 23:25
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
Cbirole wrote:
Hi Mam,
I am planning to apply in R2 for INSEAD , working on my essays and GMAT. I have one quick question here: I don't have any International Exposure in case of work- however, I have worked with International client very closely from start of my career. To fill the gap, I am planning to have 1 week volunteering program internationally(I am keenly involved in child education and mentoring in my country-India) , but this is very tentative plan and it's post GMAT and in middle of application process. Do you suggest me taking this program? Also, I have experience of 31 months right now and while joining INSEAD it will be around 40 months.
Cbirole

When you say you don't have any International exposure in case of work?
Do you mean to say that you have never worked in another country? Because that is a great way to demonstrate International orientation, however it is definitely not the only way.

If I were you I would focus on this International client, and I'm hoping that maybe you meant to say International clients plural, and articulate what you have gained from working from them in terms of your International Outlook and the diversity of your perspective.

Maybe talk about how it has helped you question certain assumptions or make you think bigger in certain ways. This is kind of the objective of an international program, that you have an even bigger view of the enterprise and opportunities because you see it with the cultural angle.

With regards to the one-week immersion thing, I would only do that if you really truly believe that you have the time to spare in terms of your applications. You don't want it to look like a last-ditch effort. One week is really just not long enough to really develop a trend.

I would honestly try to think about other ways to attack this, obviously your International clients but then maybe have you done some traveling?

what are some other things that you have done to show your interest in Multicultural perspective.

also, demonstrate how you need to attend an international MBA program to achieve your goals.

So looking backwards and looking forward are both good ideas but I think trying to sell a one-week trip would just seem a little bit sad.

http://MBAPrepCoach.com



Yes I have not traveled for work in my 31 months work experience , however as you said I have worked with International clients(plural) very closely and showcased great achievements which eventually led to work closely with CEO for industry's flagship project. I can demonstrate this in a nicer way and also, I can show my international orientation from my short term and long term goals. Moreover, I am learning French and I believe this can also be considered as International orientation. Thanks for your help. It really solved dilemma of whether to take one week onshore program or not.
_________________

Not Giving UP! Kudos if you like the question :)

VP
VP
User avatar
P
Status: MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Joined: 24 Mar 2015
Posts: 1384
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: International Exposure  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2018, 23:28
1
Cbirole wrote:
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
Cbirole wrote:
Hi Mam,
I am planning to apply in R2 for INSEAD , working on my essays and GMAT. I have one quick question here: I don't have any International Exposure in case of work- however, I have worked with International client very closely from start of my career. To fill the gap, I am planning to have 1 week volunteering program internationally(I am keenly involved in child education and mentoring in my country-India) , but this is very tentative plan and it's post GMAT and in middle of application process. Do you suggest me taking this program? Also, I have experience of 31 months right now and while joining INSEAD it will be around 40 months.
Cbirole

When you say you don't have any International exposure in case of work?
Do you mean to say that you have never worked in another country? Because that is a great way to demonstrate International orientation, however it is definitely not the only way.

If I were you I would focus on this International client, and I'm hoping that maybe you meant to say International clients plural, and articulate what you have gained from working from them in terms of your International Outlook and the diversity of your perspective.

Maybe talk about how it has helped you question certain assumptions or make you think bigger in certain ways. This is kind of the objective of an international program, that you have an even bigger view of the enterprise and opportunities because you see it with the cultural angle.

With regards to the one-week immersion thing, I would only do that if you really truly believe that you have the time to spare in terms of your applications. You don't want it to look like a last-ditch effort. One week is really just not long enough to really develop a trend.

I would honestly try to think about other ways to attack this, obviously your International clients but then maybe have you done some traveling?

what are some other things that you have done to show your interest in Multicultural perspective.

also, demonstrate how you need to attend an international MBA program to achieve your goals.

So looking backwards and looking forward are both good ideas but I think trying to sell a one-week trip would just seem a little bit sad.

http://MBAPrepCoach.com



Yes I have not traveled for work in my 31 months work experience , however as you said I have worked with International clients(plural) very closely and showcased great achievements which eventually led to work closely with CEO for industry's flagship project. I can demonstrate this in a nicer way and also, I can show my international orientation from my short term and long term goals. Moreover, I am learning French and I believe this can also be considered as International orientation. Thanks for your help. It really solved dilemma of whether to take one week onshore program or not.
You're welcome! What you mentioned sounds great.

http://mbaprepcoach.com
_________________

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 11 Jul 2017
Posts: 29
Re: International Exposure  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2018, 23:45
Cbirole wrote:
Hi Mam,
I am planning to apply in R2 for INSEAD , working on my essays and GMAT. I have one quick question here: I don't have any International Exposure in case of work- however, I have worked with the International client very closely from start of my career. To fill the gap, I am planning to have 1 week volunteering program internationally(I am keenly involved in child education and mentoring in my country-India) , but this is very tentative plan and it's post GMAT and in middle of application process. Do you suggest me taking this program? Also, I have experience of 31 months right now and while joining INSEAD it will be around 40 months.


I was in the same boat as you in the sense that I had not worked outside my home county (India) ever. But that is not at all an issue while applying to INSEAD. INSEAD looks for International motivation and not the international exposure and most applicants mistake one for the other. While international exposure might demonstrate the presence of motivation, lack of it doesn't mean the lack of motivation. Bottom line is that INSEAD is a diverse community and wants to understand if you would be able to thrive in a multicultural community. If you can provide instances at your workplace, voluntary group, sports team- where you have worked with multi-cultural teams and have actually used the diversity to thrive, you have a strong case.
_________________

http://aidmit.com/

INSEAD CLASS OF 19J

Founder, Aidmit.com
We help you secure MBA Admit

Re: International Exposure &nbs [#permalink] 29 Jul 2018, 23:45
Display posts from previous: Sort by

International Exposure

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.