It is currently 17 Aug 2017, 12:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is age a factor??

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 148

Schools: HEC Montreal '21
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V37
GPA: 3
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User
Is age a factor?? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2017, 11:53
I am 36 yrs electrical engineer aiming for admission in fall 2018. So by the time i graduate from whichever b school i get into i would b around 40.i am working in a state government power company in north india for past 13 years and that way by fall 2018 i would have around 14 years work experience. I aim to get into a Canadian b school but i am not sure about the age factor....hope 2 get help from this forum[WHITE SMILING FACE]

Sent from my MI MAX using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 31

Re: Is age a factor?? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2017, 02:36
saurabhsavant wrote:
I am 36 yrs electrical engineer aiming for admission in fall 2018. So by the time i graduate from whichever b school i get into i would b around 40.i am working in a state government power company in north india for past 13 years and that way by fall 2018 i would have around 14 years work experience. I aim to get into a Canadian b school but i am not sure about the age factor....hope 2 get help from this forum[WHITE SMILING FACE]

Hi Sourabh,
Age is never a factor when it comes to pursuing higher studies. And trust me there are many students like you than you may think. I graduated from Ivey Business School and my class had 40 year old students (with family) pursuing MBA. There are however financial realities you need to face. If you can manage to stay out of the labour market for 2 years and manage the cost of an MBA, then hey you shoud definitely pursue an MBA. And let me tell you! your choice of pursuing it from Canada is also very good. I would highly recommend Ivey but Rotman, Mcgill, Schulich, Queens and Sauder are also excellent schools (depending on your post MBA goals). Do get in touch with me if you wish to discuss it further.
Good Luck !

Deep A.
Chief Counselling Officer
http://www.EduSimplified.com

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 31

Manager
Manager
S

Schools: HEC Montreal '21
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V37
GPA: 3
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Is age a factor?? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2017, 10:50
Thanx for for responding. I am truly grateful. I am done with regular 9-5 job and hope to pursue carreer in acadmics. Although i am an engineer but pursuing an MS in engineering may not b feasible at this stage as my job never waranteed up dating or even maintaining my engineering knowledge. So a generic kind if course such as an MBA may help in pursuing my tilt towards academics. I am open for phd as well but not sure how long it would take. So my questions are(1) is mba a good choice to help in a carreer in academics? (2) is there any other specilised field such as staistics, market research, supply chain n logistics mgmt etc which can help me to get into academics? (3)is phd in any of the said options in ootion 2 the best option for acafemics..i have nil publications and so not sure if my application will b considered??...(4) if not academics which sector -power, consumer goods, research firms, etc should i consider for a post mba job?
Hope u undstnd my confusion and fear as i shall b moving out my country ...sorry for burdening u with sooo many questions. Thnx again.

Expert Post
Stratus Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 30

Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge
Is age a factor?? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2017, 11:51
saurabhsavant wrote:

I do think for top programs that there is a middle band of age- between 25-31 that is probably the ideal age but definitely there are always a few on either side of the bell curve. So it it impossible? No? Is it a positive? not necessarily! But if you can counter with your strong work experience and hopefully strong GMAT you may still rise to the top. I think that for Canadian B schools there may be less rigidity here- so I think it is worth doing your research and asking questions. The schools mentioned above all good - I have clients who were very impressed with Schulich and Rotman during their application process. We have some excellent counselors that can help you turn your advanced age into a positive and who also have experience with Canadian B schools. Here is an article we wrote about older MBA candidates: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... tive-mbas/
To learn more about how we can help you, go here for a link to a free consult: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 30

Is age a factor??   [#permalink] 05 Apr 2017, 11:51