GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Sep 2018, 08:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Is Anderson more regional than McCombs? Also, please vote

new topic post reply Update application status  

Which MBA to join? UCLA Anderson vs Texas McCombs

• 62% [5]
  • 37% [3]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 4: 740 Q50 V39
GRE 1: Q800 V630
GPA: 3.08
WE: Research (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Is Anderson more regional than McCombs? Also, please vote  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2018, 09:35
Hey guys! I am trying to decide between Anderson and McCombs. My post-MBA goal is to move to Tech. I am an international with nearly 7 years of experience in market research and consulting.

I have been researching on the Tech placement of these two schools and have realized that while both place regionally, McCombs is a more portable MBA. Seems like McCombs has a good presence in the Bay Area and Seattle. Anderson seems to be just California.

Is this true? Any insights would be appreciated. Also, last few questions:
1) As an international who is not location specific for work, which MBA works best?
2) Is Anderson a bigger brand than McCombs?

Sorry for the repeat poll on this but I guess the poll on my previous post ran only for 1 day.
Manager
Manager
B
Re: Is Anderson more regional than McCombs? Also, please vote  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2018, 11:28
I voted for UCLA because it's in California and in So Cal and in Los Angeles. But in all seriousness, you must think through where you would get the best education value and outcome.
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member CAT Tests
Is Anderson more regional than McCombs? Also, please vote  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2018, 12:16
BadgerNeeraj wrote:
Hey guys! I am trying to decide between Anderson and McCombs. My post-MBA goal is to move to Tech. I am an international with nearly 7 years of experience in market research and consulting.

I have been researching on the Tech placement of these two schools and have realized that while both place regionally, McCombs is a more portable MBA. Seems like McCombs has a good presence in the Bay Area and Seattle. Anderson seems to be just California.

1) As an international who is not location specific for work, which MBA works best?

Sorry for the repeat poll on this but I guess the poll on my previous post ran only for 1 day.

Hi BadgerNeeraj

Congrats on being accepted to both schools !

Anderson is better school, bigger brand and I would personally go there, before McCombs.

Lets see some rankings.

Here on GMAT Club, as per opinion of applicant Anderson is on 13. place, McCombs is 17.

As per esteemed Economist UCLA Anderson is on very high 6. place and McCombs is on 35. place.

That tells a story.

https://www.economist.com/whichmba/full ... ing?page=3

Also as per Economist Anderson beats Austin in every category.

You will find detailed comparison attached below.

As per Poets and Quants Tech Industry Hires 33.0% from Texas (McCombs) and 28.3% from UCLA (Anderson).

These figures can be misleading in terms of real value, for instance more people can be hired and start work in lesser known tech companies or start ups in Austin than in Silicon Valley.

Its easy to conclude which is more attractive.

Regarding that UCLA (Anderson) has higher Median Base Salary of $113,703 versus Texas (McCombs) $107,044.

https://poetsandquants.com/2017/04/03/t ... schools/2/

Anderson is home to the Easton Technology Management Center, an institute devoted to “developing leaders who shape the future of technology.”

Easton offers technology courses and field studies; hosts conferences, workshops and lectures and supports technology-related research.

Anderson students can also choose to pursue a specialization in technology leadership, taking electives that include technology management, intellectual property and new product development.

Outside of the classroom, the student-led High Tech Business Association organizes Tech Treks, a career night and a case competition, as well as multiple conferences and workshops.

Recent graduates have landed jobs in companies like Amazon, Intel, Cisco, Microsoft, VMware, Google, Ebay and Apple.

https://www.clearadmit.com/2016/02/tops ... hnology/3/

UCLA have partnership with Google in creating a new course called "Digital Marketing Strategy" in which Google executives are brought into the classroom to impart their knowledge and also involve students in certain company projects.

With McCombs you will have opportunity for classes in Dallas, Houston and even Mexico City, if that is appealing to you.

https://www.thestreet.com/story/1338730 ... anies.html

Financial Times places UCLA on 25. place, McCombs on 44. place in Global MBA Ranking 2018.

http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolra ... nking-2018

In Bloomberg list of World’s Best-Paid MBA Graduates UCLA is placed on 11. place, but there is no McCombs in top 20 !

Same rankings provide info that total compensation for UCLA graduates is $185 k.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -graduates

To conclude Anderson is bigger brand, better known worldwide and always better ranked school in various different rankings.

You will form better networking connections during your stay at L.A. (also an independent tech hub, Silicon Beach is the West side region of the Los Angeles metropolitan area that is home to over 500 tech startup companies ) due to proximity of Silicon Valley, than in Austin.

https://www.startupgrind.com/blog/los-a ... own-beast/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/afp/ar ... hines.html

https://www.bizjournals.com/losangeles/ ... h-hub.html

Having said that, you will not get wrong if choose Austin, McCombs has some allure for tech, both as city and school, just in my opinion of lesser value than UCLA.

Hope this will help you to decide !

Good luck and inform us of your final decision ;)
Attachments

anderson ucla vs. austin comparison.png
anderson ucla vs. austin comparison.png [ 86.13 KiB | Viewed 758 times ]

Your kudos are much appreciated

Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2018, 12:25
Didn’t we discuss this a few days ago?

I voted for McCombs. The on campus recruiting is better at MCCombs. There is not much at Anderson. Try to reach some of the international students at both schools.

Posted from my mobile device

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2018, 12:57
bb wrote:

I voted for McCombs. The on campus recruiting is better at MCCombs. There is not much at Anderson. Try to reach some of the international students at both schools.

Hey! Yes, we did discuss. However, here I have a different question. Which one is more regional. My research and talks with internationals suggest that Anderson is more regional than McCombs.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2018, 13:04
BadgerNeeraj wrote:
bb wrote:

Hey! Yes, we did discuss. However, here I have a different question. Which one is more regional. My research and talks with internationals suggest that Anderson is more regional than McCombs.

Both somewhat are. However, McCombs is in Austin with many Tech companies right there. Anderson is in LA with few tech companies right there.... part of regional aspect does not matter. Few people pick up from LA and move to Midwest or Texas but many people perceive moving from TX to East Coast or West Coast as a potential improvement to their location/job prospects and areas that are desirable to live in. It is not as black and white. Similarly, you can say that Haas and Stanford are very regional too! It is not that they don't place, just people don't want to move elsewhere.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2018, 13:07
bb wrote:
BadgerNeeraj wrote:
bb wrote:

Both somewhat are. However, McCombs is in Austin with many Tech companies right there. Anderson is in LA with few tech companies right there.... part of regional aspect does not matter. Few people pick up from LA and move to Midwest or Texas but many people perceive moving from TX to East Coast or West Coast as a potential improvement to their location/job prospects and areas that are desirable to live in. It is not as black and white. Similarly, you can say that Haas and Stanford are very regional too! It is not that they don't place, just people don't want to move elsewhere.

That's a great point! I somehow overlooked the movement factor. This changes the whole scenario. Thanks a lot for this insight!!
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2018, 13:15
bb wrote:
BadgerNeeraj wrote:
bb wrote:

Of course since all people, especially tech ones, want to work in Bay Area/Cali anyways.

I was wondering why would anybody (BadgerNeeraj ) protest about California (only) jobs prospective ?

Sure, Badger you can go to work in Seattle at Amazon, Microsoft or whatever company you want with UCLA.

Don't doubt that.

You can work at very same companies in Cali.

They all have their presence there, regardless of headquarters origin.

Real question should be , why there aren't so many people moving from UCLA MBA to Austin to work ?

:)

Your kudos are much appreciated

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2018, 13:38
billionaire
I ain't protesting, per se. Just a bit hesitant because of the cost involved with UCLA. The cost of attendance diff between McCombs and UCLA is nearly $35k and if both these schools are at par, then it doesn't make sense to spend $35k for the brand. Moreover, Texas' tech demand is met by McCombs. Probably that's why UCLA doesn't have a huge presence there (imo). Though I have been reading reports of people moving to Austin for better quality of life and lower taxes.
Admissionado
G
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2018, 13:49
In my opinion, McCombs is the best option if you want to work in tech post-MBA. McCombs has a great alumni network in the tech industry that extends to the west coast as you said. UCLA is a great school but I think of it more as a general mgmt/marketing school.

In terms of which is more regional, that's an interesting question. I think a lot of people who go to UCLA tend to stay in CA, but I also think people who live in CA tend to not want to leave so that may have more to do with CA than UCLA. :)

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

SVP
SVP
D
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2018, 08:46
BadgerNeeraj wrote:

Your question is pretty debatable and depends on where you will live and work. If you have target area outside the school geography, then look up the LinkedIn profiles.
Re: Is Anderson more regional than McCombs? Also, please vote &nbs [#permalink] 28 Jun 2018, 08:46

Is Anderson more regional than McCombs? Also, please vote

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap