It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 23:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is Haas a regional school?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
B

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 30

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Booth '17 (M)
GPA: 3.75
Is Haas a regional school? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2014, 17:13
I'm thinking about applying to Haas, but am on the fence as I'm not sure if I'd stay out in SF post MBA. From looking on linkedin, it seems that the great majority of Haas alumni are in SF (53%) and a small amount in NYC (5%) - where I live now and will likely end up. Does it not make sense to apply to Haas unless I'm sure about staying in SF if I go there? I'm a bit concerned that the network could be super small in NYC given the low percentage and small class size. I run my own business currently and am looking to transition into early stage VC.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 3

Is Haas a regional school? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2014, 17:16
jaw4527 wrote:
I'm thinking about applying to Haas, but am on the fence as I'm not sure if I'd stay out in SF post MBA. From looking on linkedin, it seems that the great majority of Haas alumni are in SF (53%) and a small amount in NYC (5%) - where I live now and will likely end up. Does it not make sense to apply to Haas unless I'm sure about staying in SF if I go there? I'm a bit concerned that the network could be super small in NYC given the low percentage and small class size. I run my own business currently and am looking to transition into early stage VC.

Based on your career goals it sounds like Haas is actually a perfect fit to be honest. Also, I would double check those LinkedIn statistics - are you sure that doesn't include the Part Time and Executive MBA programs?

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 3

Current Student
B

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Booth '17 (M)
GPA: 3.75
Re: Is Haas a regional school? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2014, 18:51
its not broken out on linkedin so it likely includes PT, EMBA, and undergrads which will naturally boost the SF %. Having said that, 24,201 alumni on linkedin - 12,928 in SF and 1,097 in NYC

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V44
GPA: 3.24
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2014, 07:41
When I visited a couple months ago they shared statistics and the majority of alums are in fact in the Bay Area (unfortunately can't recall the exact percent), so it is regional in the sense that there is more of a concentration. That said, they do have alumni all over, and part of that visit included a presentation by Career Services - which was very impressive - and they spoke the concept of being able to "activate" pockets of alumni to assist those looking in other areas. Though NY probably still has a critical mass of alums so it would be less of an issue than someone like myself who may want to return to the Midwest (where there are less).

And as the previous poster mentioned, for your career goals from a purely functional perspective, Haas is very strong for entrepreneurship/VC and likely can get you where you want to go, so I personally wouldn't sweat it too much.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2014, 01:48
My two-cents. I believe Haas (Stanford is relatively similar) has more students stay "regional" than other schools by choice. The Bay Area is already one of the top locations for post-MBA jobs due to the number of new, exciting, and innovative companies in the area. When you add weather, topography, and the sheer amount of activities there are to do in Northern California, you end up with a lot of people that don't want to leave. This has pros and cons. One drawback may be that some recruiters from non-traditional locations choose not to recruit at Berkeley because they don't anticipate a solid yield. Haas has such a strong reputation that it is certainly not regional but it may take a bit more effort to get to under-the-radar locations. Many, many, many students do still leave: the most popular U.S. destinations tend to be NYC, Boston, Los Angeles, Texas, Seattle, and Chicago but the alumni network might be a bit smaller. Some alums also tend to leave the Bay Area a few years post-graduation.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Is Haas a regional school?   [#permalink] 05 Dec 2014, 01:48

Is Haas a regional school?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: OasisGC, BrushMyQuant, aerien

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap