Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 13:02 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 13:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Schools: Duke '22 (M$)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.9
WE:Investment Banking (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
Vantage Point Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Is it a disadvantage to have an accountant title for MBA applications [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi heidiym, thanks for sharing your profile - you have a lot going for you! While I agree that a purely accounting background isn't the strongest feeder to top MBA programs, I am not that concerned about the impact of having this title on your resume. If showcased appropriately in the application, it sounds like you will gain fairly robust corporate finance experience in this role and have the potential to make a real impact / demonstrate leadership. If you are purely concerned about the title, is it possible they would rename the role for you? Another question I would have is what your alternative would be (i.e. wait for another PE opportunity to come along, apply to jobs with larger corporates) - I would compare this role and the experience you will gain with your next best alternative, knowing that it is a fairly challenging time to be job hunting as I'm sure you know. Hope this helps you think through it and good luck!

Katie

heidiym wrote:
Hi all, Thanks so much in advance for your advice!

I am currently looking for a new job as I got laid off by my current employer (a PE firm). I am planning to apply for MBA next year and currently there is a job opportunity in one of the portfolio companies and it is senior technical accountant. I can see a lot of responsibilities and opportunities to make changes in the company as they just went through a huge merger and so many things are piled up to be improved. The job is not going to be closing books, booking journal entries or counting invoices. It will be helping the CFO, the Controller and the Revenue Manager to identify and improve current problems and leading audit with the Controller. My biggest concern is that the job title is "accountant" which I heard is generally not looked highly upon by adcoms. I think I will get decent exposure to the corporate finance side at the same time but not sure about the broader view, like strategy or biz op. The company is a mid-size software company so the brand name is nowhere as strong as Facebook, Google, Apple, Amazon and etc. My post MBA goal is management/strategy consulting. My target schools are TOP10 programs.

Other information about me if helpful:
Work experience: Ex-Big 4er (2 years), worked for a TOP 15 PE firm (1.5 years). All finance and accounting related consulting positions.
Undergrad: pretty decent public school in the US (Top 30-40 based on US News).
Undergrad GPA: 3.79
Grad School: Masters in Accounting (from a top public school in the US) so I am a CPA
Ethnicity: Asian
GMAT: I have not taken it yet but based on my past practice exams, I think I should be able to land at least 700/720 and I have time to take multiple exams.

Thanks so much and appreciate your advice!!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Is it a disadvantage to have an accountant title for MBA applications [#permalink]