Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:43 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Duke Fuqua
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2015
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [1]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Re: is it ok to leverage an offer with another school? [#permalink]
kingfalcon is bang on.

and it is definitely not unethical, just mention in your update why you still want Duke to happen for you, and you should be good.

congratulations on the admit btw.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Accounting, Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Send PM
I would recommend not pressuring them with an offer from another school. People might view it as an ultimatum and nobody really takes well to them. It would be better if you simply inform admissions that Duke is your top choice and that if you are admitted that you will definitely attend. Also, there are other strategic things that you can do to enhance your candidacy while on the WL, but you have to be strategic about how to handle this.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Call for a free candidacy evaluation!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
jontron wrote:
People leverage offers all the time for fellowship offers. I have never heard of using it to successfully get off the waitlist.

I am very curious as to how you do that without alienating anyone? I got into one of the H/S/W/B and one of Duke/Berkeley/Yale (with scholarship for the latter) but my first choice is McCombs. I got accepted to McCombs but without a scholarship. I will definitely go to McCombs if they give me a big scholarship (>60%) but I am afraid there is no way I don't go to H/S/W/B if McCombs is only marginally cheaper (tuition a bit lower and living expenses lower but not by too much I think).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Sure, why not? this is business... as long as you do it politely and tastefully.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
RR666 wrote:

I am very curious as to how you do that without alienating anyone? I got into one of the H/S/W/B and one of Duke/Berkeley/Yale (with scholarship for the latter) but my first choice is McCombs. I got accepted to McCombs but without a scholarship. I will definitely go to McCombs if they give me a big scholarship (>60%) but I am afraid there is no way I don't go to H/S/W/B if McCombs is only marginally cheaper (tuition a bit lower and living expenses lower but not by too much I think).

I would say to be honest with McCombs and tell them that they are your No.1 choice, but you have a scholarship offer from the Duke/Berkeley/Yale school and that cost is an important factor. They may match it.

However, I would not go with the strategy of saying "I got into H/S/W/B, so a school of your caliber should be offering me a scholarship." That's how you alienate people.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
RR666 wrote:
jontron wrote:
People leverage offers all the time for fellowship offers. I have never heard of using it to successfully get off the waitlist.

You do it very tactfully. Every situation is different. You can't just say, "Dear McComb's, Duke/Berkeley/Yale just ponied up $XXK for me. What are you bringing to the table?" I was able to do it last year, but I asked nicely, stressed how much I wanted to go to their school, and asked for a specific $$ amount. I was also able to make a case for why cost was an important criteria in my decision on where to attend school.

As for the OP's question, it might be a bit in bad taste to in so many words say, "School X wants so you better hurry up and take me off the waitlist." Sure you'd be more tactful than that, but that's still the general message and it may alienate Fuqua. Getting into one school is not a reason for another to let you in. Base your WL updates on improvements to your profile, a sincere desire to attend, and additional recommendations from Fuquans (I've heard that these can help). Good luck and wherever you end up I am sure you'll have a great experience.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
anonymousmang wrote:
I got into Michigan Ross, and I am wait-listed at Duke. Ross is very good as well but Duke is closer to home.

is it ok to inform Fuqua about my admission at Ross in order to gain admissions? I got two questions:

1. will this method work?
2. Is it "unethical" to do so? I am incredibly appreciative to receive an opportunity at Ross and I do not want to disrespect the school in anyway. Both schools are perfect for me, it really just comes down to geographical preference.

I appreciate any advices you have :!:

Something that really hasn't been mentioned yet is that while updating Duke with significant accomplishments and showing a desire to attend may in the end get you off the wait-list, don't expect it to happen soon. I'm not sure if Duke reviews WL candidates in subsequent rounds, but you may very well be in the position where you have to put a deposit down with Ross to avoid losing that seat and keep hoping Duke will come calling and be willing to eat that loss if the call comes.
GMAT Club Bot