It is currently 17 Nov 2017, 23:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is OG 2016 outdated?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Schools: Erasmus '20
Is OG 2016 outdated? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2017, 21:57
Hi everyone,

I want to start preparing for the GMAT, which I will take in 2 months. I was wondering if the OG 2016 is still relevant for my preparation, since I have the opportunity to buy the entire bundle second hand for a cheap price.

My goal for my first attempt is a score between 680-720, so any tips are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the responses.

Luigi

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 410

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Is OG 2016 outdated? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2017, 05:04
Luigi0928 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I want to start preparing for the GMAT, which I will take in 2 months. I was wondering if the OG 2016 is still relevant for my preparation, since I have the opportunity to buy the entire bundle second hand for a cheap price.

My goal for my first attempt is a score between 680-720, so any tips are much appreciated.

Luigi

It is not outdated and most of the content rolls over to the new releases. GMAC does not write the entire content all over again for the new year. You better read some of the OG 2017 reviews since some of them highlight the changes made to this year's release. This will probably help overcome the mental block. You will soon find all of the new questions in OG 2017 listed here on the forum anyway, though you may have to fish them out.

Please hit Kudos if this post helped you inch closer to your GMAT goal.
Procrastination is the termite constantly trying to eat your GMAT tree from the inside.
There is one fix to every problem, working harder!

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 410

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Kudos [?]: 224 [0], given: 97

Reviews Badge
Is OG 2016 outdated? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2017, 09:56
Luigi0928 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Luigi

You can finish OG 2016, and practice new questions from OG 2017:

Verbal:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/og-2017-foru ... 22326.html

Quant
https://gmatclub.com/forum/og-2017-foru ... 22199.html

+1 Kudos is the best way to say "Thank you!"

Kudos [?]: 224 [0], given: 97

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3502 [0], given: 173

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2017, 12:01
Hi Luigi,

To answer your initial question: NO - the GMAT2016 OG is not outdated. All of the material in that book is still great practice material. However, considering your score goal, you will almost certainly need more than just a few books to get to that level. A 700 is approximately the 90th percentile, meaning that 90% of Test Takers never score that high (regardless of how long they study or the number of times they take the GMAT). Thus, you're going to have to put in some significant effort to get to that level - and you'll need to learn the proper knowledge and Tactics. Many Test Takers also spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so you might need more study time than you've planned for.

Since it sounds like you're just beginning your studies, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can download 2 for free from www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2017, 23:04
Hi EMPOWERgmatRichC,

Thanks for your response! I just took my first full-length practice exam from the GMATPrep software, and I scored 510. In detail, I scored 38 on Quantitative, 22 on Verbal, and 8 on Integrated Reasoning. I guess I will have a lot of work to do to reach my desired score.

Regarding your other two questions, I plan on applying for a Master of Science in International Management by January 2018 (most deadlines fall on Jan. 15, 2018). At the moment, my schools list include Rotterdam School of Management (min. 600), Vienna University of Economics and Business (avg. 650), and Stockholm School of Economics (avg. 683).

Any tips will be appreciated, thanks!

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2017, 20:14
Hi Luigi,

To start, a 510 is a decent 'starting score' (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years). That having been said, to raise a 510 to a 680+, you will have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections - and all of that work will likely take at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study. Based on the Schools that you plan to apply to, you don't necessarily need a 680+ though. This is all meant to say that you'll likely need to either change your timeline or change your score goal. Considering the application deadlines you're dealing with, you certainly appear to have time to extend your studies.

1) Is there a specific reason why you're limiting your studies to just 2 months?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2017, 09:34
Hi Rich,

The main reason I set such an early deadline is because the Stockholm School of Economics has an early application deadline on November 15, 2017. Another reason is that if I don't get a satisfactory score on my first attempt, I will have time to try it a second time in December considering that all schools have application deadlines in January.

What do you mean when you say:
Quote:
Based on the Schools that you plan to apply to, you don't necessarily need a 680+ though.

I set a goal of 680+ mainly because of the SSE has an average of 683, and I don't know how to interpret the minimum score of RSM. I think that scoring above average will give me a competitive advantage over other applicants.

To answer your second question, I made a rough schedule for the next 7 schedules that consist of 2 hours per day on Tuesday and Thursday and 5 hours per day on both Saturday and Sunday. Do you think this will be sufficient to get at least close to 680?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Luigi

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2017, 14:00
Hi Luigi,

While the advice that "the higher the GMAT score, the better" is generally true, the GMAT Score is just one 'piece' of the application - and no GMAT Score will guarantee you anything (not even an 800). If you know how to calculate the average of a group of numbers, then you know that not everyone who got into SSE last year scored above 680 - in fact, LOTS of them would have scored under that average. This is meant to say that if you have a reasonably strong OVERALL profile, then you probably don't "need" a 680+. If you're convinced that you do need to score that high, then that brings us back to one of my prior points:

To raise a 510 to a 680+, you will have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections - and all of that work will likely take at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study. So I don't think that your current timeline/plan will be enough to get you to that goal score. To be fair, no one here knows what you're truly capable of, so perhaps you could improve that much in under 2 months. You would have a much greater chance though if you gave yourself the 3-4 months of study time that you actually have available.

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Top Contributor
SVP
SVP
S

Kudos [?]: 1636 [0], given: 8

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2017, 10:58
Top Contributor
I would agree that OG2016 is not outdated. For most people 2016 or 2017 will be just fine as most of the questions are the same anyway.

As you study OG - regardless of which edition, you may want to track your errors and perhaps view videos of how other expert test takers approach each question. GMAT Pill provides a tracker like this with video walk-throughs to accompany your journey here:

http://www.gmatpill.com/official-guide- ... ition=2016

You can learn more about GMAT Pill at http://www.gmatpill.com/testimonials

Kudos [?]: 1636 [0], given: 8

VP
VP
D

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 6

GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: 339 Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2017, 21:42
Luigi0928 wrote:
To answer your second question, I made a rough schedule for the next 7 schedules that consist of 2 hours per day on Tuesday and Thursday and 5 hours per day on both Saturday and Sunday. Do you think this will be sufficient to get at least close to 680?
It'll be hard for anyone to say whether that will be "sufficient". You should start, and then make any adjustments that may become necessary.

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 6

Re: Is OG 2016 outdated?   [#permalink] 09 Sep 2017, 21:42

Is OG 2016 outdated?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap