GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2018, 14:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Is teaching experience considered positively by ADCOM's for PhD?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D
Premium Member CAT Tests
Is teaching experience considered positively by ADCOM's for PhD?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2018, 12:25
Is teaching experience considered positively by ADCOM's for PhD admissions?

How should one explain this in SOP?

"Please hit :thumbup: +1 Kudos if you like this post" :student_man:

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me"

Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Is teaching experience considered positively by ADCOM's for PhD?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2018, 21:11
CAMANISHPARMAR wrote:

Hello CAMANISHPARMAR

Of course it is considered positively by admission committee.

During your future PhD studies, as you should know by now, you are expected to teach undergraduates, starting from second or third year.

When you say explain, it sounds like something negative, that someone needs to address in SOP :)

I don't see what is there to dwell about and what cannot be self evident from your CV, if you already put that info there, as you should, in teaching experience column.

You may mention in SOP, that you did teach subject X at university Y for Z period of time.

You may mention what you particularly enjoyed in teaching, what you possibly learned from the process and how you are prepared and eager to teach again at whatever subject they request, according to your credentials and their department needs.

You may put that you are particularly confident at some subjects and enjoy them the most, however you can cover whatever they assign to you.

Simple as that.

Good Luck with SOP and application ! ;)

Your kudos are much appreciated

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Is teaching experience considered positively by ADCOM's for PhD?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2018, 01:28
billionaire wrote:
Good Luck with SOP and application ! ;)

Thanks billionaire

I feel my teaching experience is a strong point in my CV. I just wanted feeback how best to capture it in my SOP by getting some valuable feedback.

You have made some nice points, thanks again!!

"Please hit :thumbup: +1 Kudos if you like this post" :student_man:

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me"

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2018, 14:46
CAMANISHPARMAR wrote:

Yeah, teaching experience is positive. Some schools will give more importance to that, some will give little importance, but generally positive anyway. At the very least, your teaching experience should be considered by many as a sign that you know the academic world and is committed to it.

The SOP is to explain purpose, motivation, not experience. So, if you include teaching experience in your SOP, it should be in a way that helps people to understand what role your teaching experience had in your motivations.

For example, it's hard for me to explain my motivation and research interests without mentioning my work experience. Because it was during my work experience that I started to ask questions about Marketing, and at that time I was not able to find answers to some important questions. So, the PhD is an opportunity to finally try to get answers to questions that I have been asking for a long time, questions that raised from my work experience.

My work experience was also important during the interview to explain why I preferred a school like the one I am now, since it makes sense to me to apply to school in a big city, with close ties to the corporate world in research projects. So, it was essential to answer one of the typical questions in interviews: why this school?

So, it's not like my work experience was a strength or important by itself, but the way I used that experience to make my arguments stronger. The same goes for your teaching experience: do not show only strength, show also relevance.

Then, for the SOP, the main thing is to show your motivation. If your teaching experience can help you to do that, great, and that's the way. Your teaching experience is a strength, but by itself it's hard to say if schools will care about it. But motivation is something they care about, so use your strength to improve something they care, if possible. If not, the teaching experience is already included somewhere else more related to evaluate your experience (CV, resume).

http://myphdtales.blogspot.com.br/

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Is teaching experience considered positively by ADCOM's for PhD? &nbs [#permalink] 21 Sep 2018, 14:46

Is teaching experience considered positively by ADCOM's for PhD?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: carcass, billionaire

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap