GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2019, 06:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Is the integer 2b divisible by 6 ?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 21 Apr 2016
Posts: 163
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Is the integer 2b divisible by 6 ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2017, 19:20
Doesn't the question already say 2b is an integer? How can the answer be (C)?

From (1) 8b is divisible by 3. Therefore, b has to be divisible by 3. From the question stem 2b is an integer. Combining these two, b can be 3/2, 3, 6/2, 6, 9/2, 9, ... etc... for all these values of b, 2b is divisible by 6. Hence (A).
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 58333
Re: Is the integer 2b divisible by 6 ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2017, 22:05
manhasnoname wrote:
Doesn't the question already say 2b is an integer? How can the answer be (C)?

From (1) 8b is divisible by 3. Therefore, b has to be divisible by 3. From the question stem 2b is an integer. Combining these two, b can be 3/2, 3, 6/2, 6, 9/2, 9, ... etc... for all these values of b, 2b is divisible by 6. Hence (A).


Your doubt is addressed several times on previous page. For (1) consider b = 3/2 --> 8b = 12, so it's divisible by 3 but 2b = 3, so not divisible by 6.
_________________
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 19 Mar 2015
Posts: 15
Location: India
Re: Is the integer 2b divisible by 6 ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2017, 23:36
Is the integer 2b divisible by 6 ?

(1) 8b is divisible by 3.

(2) 9b is divisible by 12

its clearly asked whether the Integer 2b is divisible by 6.....so we can only to take the values to b which satisfies 2b as integer even 3/2 is possible but not 3/4

from statement 1----> 8b =>4*2b when divisible by 3 the possible values from given and statement 1 combined are 3/2,3,6......
conclusion:- statement 1 is enough to solve the question

statement 2 is clearly not enough to solve the equation.

So my answer would be A
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 58333
Re: Is the integer 2b divisible by 6 ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2017, 23:42
1
sreenu7464 wrote:
Is the integer 2b divisible by 6 ?

(1) 8b is divisible by 3.

(2) 9b is divisible by 12

its clearly asked whether the Integer 2b is divisible by 6.....so we can only to take the values to b which satisfies 2b as integer even 3/2 is possible but not 3/4

from statement 1----> 8b =>4*2b when divisible by 3 the possible values from given and statement 1 combined are 3/2,3,6......
conclusion:- statement 1 is enough to solve the question

statement 2 is clearly not enough to solve the equation.

So my answer would be A


The answer is NOT A it's C. It's explained several times on previous pages:

For a NO answer in (1) consider b = 3/2 --> 8b = 12, so it's divisible by 3 but 2b = 3, so not divisible by 6.
For an YES answer in (1) consider b = 3 --> 8b = 24, so it's divisible by 3 and 2b = 6, so divisible by 6.
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Mar 2018
Posts: 1
Re: Is the integer 2b divisible by 6 ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2018, 01:57
Option 1: 8b divisible for 3 ==> b divisible for 3 ==> From 1, do not have enough info for answer
Option 2: 9b divisible for 12 ==> b divisible for 2 ==> From 2, do not have enough info for answer

From 1 and 2==> b divisible for 6 => answer C

Please hit kudo if it helps! THanks.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 31 Aug 2016
Posts: 45
Re: Is the integer 2b divisible by 6 ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2018, 09:59
Bunuel wrote:
sreenu7464 wrote:
Is the integer 2b divisible by 6 ?

(1) 8b is divisible by 3.

(2) 9b is divisible by 12

its clearly asked whether the Integer 2b is divisible by 6.....so we can only to take the values to b which satisfies 2b as integer even 3/2 is possible but not 3/4

from statement 1----> 8b =>4*2b when divisible by 3 the possible values from given and statement 1 combined are 3/2,3,6......
conclusion:- statement 1 is enough to solve the question

statement 2 is clearly not enough to solve the equation.

So my answer would be A


The answer is NOT A it's C. It's explained several times on previous pages:

For a NO answer in (1) consider b = 3/2 --> 8b = 12, so it's divisible by 3 but 2b = 3, so not divisible by 6.
For an YES answer in (1) consider b = 3 --> 8b = 24, so it's divisible by 3 and 2b = 6, so divisible by 6.


Is it ok to make it from 2b/6 to b/3? Do we lose anything?
Retired Moderator
avatar
P
Joined: 22 Aug 2013
Posts: 1430
Location: India
Re: Is the integer 2b divisible by 6 ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2018, 23:40
The answer is NOT A it's C. It's explained several times on previous pages:

For a NO answer in (1) consider b = 3/2 --> 8b = 12, so it's divisible by 3 but 2b = 3, so not divisible by 6.
For an YES answer in (1) consider b = 3 --> 8b = 24, so it's divisible by 3 and 2b = 6, so divisible by 6.[/quote]

Is it ok to make it from 2b/6 to b/3? Do we lose anything?[/quote]

Hello

You are correct. Asking 'whether 2b is divisible by 6' is same as asking 'whether b is divisible by 3'.
In any case wherever 2b is divisible by 6, b has to be divisible by 3.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Is the integer 2b divisible by 6 ?   [#permalink] 13 May 2018, 23:40

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 27 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Is the integer 2b divisible by 6 ?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne