Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:02 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi,
I wrote the test two weeks back and I found it tougher.
The verbal was the of the same standard as of ETS. But the quant was definitely tougher. More inequalities, geometry, number properties.

I thought i screwed the quant, must have answered many wrong. But i got a 50 in quants.
I think i reached the tougher questions very early.
But better prepare well for quants.

Mohighmin
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thank You
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
The word on the street is that the Pearson Quant section is significantly more difficult. Apparently, too many test takers were scoring 50+ so they decided to "up the anty" even though this goes against the so called standardized nature of the exam.
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yeah thats funny notion thou..

How could you then compare the ppl who got X in the old GMAT to people who scored X in the new one when the standards are not the same?

The logic kind of beats me. Wonder whether GMAC has any published data!
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
BTW John, your website has to be one of the best I`ve ever seen. Outstanding work! Just one question though, why no mention of or plans to travel to Japan?

Matt 8-)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 992 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
GMATT73 wrote:
The word on the street is that the Pearson Quant section is significantly more difficult. Apparently, too many test takers were scoring 50+ so they decided to "up the anty" even though this goes against the so called standardized nature of the exam.

That's unfair :twisted:
People who wrote ETS GMAT would have higher Quant score, the comparison is not going to be fair :cry:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
fab. site. [#permalink]
hell yeah .. john, ur website is amazing man !! Whats more interesting is ur connection with Calcutta. Are you a "bong" ? :lol:

sorry for digressing.
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Guess what? Yeah!! I was in Calcutta for 16 years.... went to Xavier's!!

u?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
buddy boy .. [#permalink]
yeah am from st. patricks,asansol ... and then lawrence . :-D
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 198 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
vivek123 wrote:
GMATT73 wrote:

People who wrote ETS GMAT would have higher Quant score, the comparison is not going to be fair :cry:

Tougher test doesn't necessarily correlate to lower scores. It is quite reasonable to assume that the test might be tougher now but scoring is more lenient. Just do ur best out there and let the software do the rest of the work. If u panic by seeing a tough question, u mite end up making mistakes even on the easier ones.
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Agreed!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 992 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
banerjeea_98 wrote:
vivek123 wrote:
GMATT73 wrote:

Tougher test doesn't necessarily correlate to lower scores. It is quite reasonable to assume that the test might be tougher now but scoring is more lenient. Just do ur best out there and let the software do the rest of the work. If u panic by seeing a tough question, u mite end up making mistakes even on the easier ones.

Yes, that's true!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
correct me if i'm wrong, but if it is tougher as you say, then the percentiles will change. meaning, a 95th % might be 700 versus 710 as the 95% for the old test. just a thought. These do change over time I believe if more people are scoring higher, the percentages will migrate up (or down) accordingly. So the score is less relevant than the percentile. However, I would image they want to keep the percentiles and scores pretty consistent over time.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Pearsons Math is definitely harder - 710 [#permalink]
Hi guys, just did my GMAT for the first time yesterday and got 710. Turns out that the quant section was significantly harder than any ETS or OG stuff that I have been exposed to. The english section was not that hard but after doing the quant, it kind of rattled me a little that my performance in the verbal was not good at all hence the low score. Even though at the end of the day i got a 50 on the quant - i refrained from panicking in the section but during the break I let it get to me and hence it affected the verbal. I would say that the OG's mathematical questions are no longer revelant or even indicative of the types you will get on Pearsons. They are designed to trick you on almost every single question with multiple calculations required each. Finally no matter how badly you think you did in one section, just focus on the next section.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Re: Pearsons Math is definitely harder - 710 [#permalink]
sykofu wrote:
Hi guys, just did my GMAT for the first time yesterday and got 710. Turns out that the quant section was significantly harder than any ETS or OG stuff that I have been exposed to. The english section was not that hard but after doing the quant, it kind of rattled me a little that my performance in the verbal was not good at all hence the low score. Even though at the end of the day i got a 50 on the quant - i refrained from panicking in the section but during the break I let it get to me and hence it affected the verbal. I would say that the OG's mathematical questions are no longer revelant or even indicative of the types you will get on Pearsons. They are designed to trick you on almost every single question with multiple calculations required each. Finally no matter how badly you think you did in one section, just focus on the next section.

I can also confirm that a few coworkers of mine here in Japan have made it clear that their Quantitative scores have dropped significantly (Q44 ---> Q 35) due to a perceived higher level of difficulty. I guess only those who took the ETS version will be able to make an accurate comparison.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
This is quoted directly from Veritas, a leading developer of GMAT specific preparation materials:

"So the competition has become stiffer, but does that mean the test itself will get harder? Although the subcontractor responsible for writing the test remains tight-lipped, it is evident that it already has and there are reasons to think it will continue to become harder. Because more students are doing better with the math topics, the GMAT is less accurate at the highest score levels where one or two missed questions correspond to huge differences in percentile score. The writers have already tried to remedy this by focusing far more on the harder probability and combinatorics problems. As average scores continue to rise the test may change even more to relieve the clustering of high scores."

Sure, one may read this as a simple marketing gimmick, but there must be some truth to the issue because I keep hearing the same sort of claims from test-taker after test-taker...
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thnks guys!!! this is good info
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder