Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:59 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [1]
Given Kudos: 3439
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Re: . [#permalink]

Originally posted by username123 on 01 Feb 2010, 21:48.
Last edited by username123 on 20 Oct 2016, 10:59, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Originally posted by username123 on 02 Feb 2010, 17:01.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
I think that they only have an alumnus's general consent to be an alumni interviewer, but it's not specific to a candidate. It's the candidate who chooses from a list of potential, willing interviewers. Don't choose your boss.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
actually i have a similar fear about my current supervisor of approx 1.2 years. she is not a MBA but I am sure the recommendation will not be "Stellar". So, I was thinking of approaching my previous supervisors instead.

how do u explain to the b-school why you didnot choose ur current supervisor/boss? Is that fact held as a negative against you?

it would be great if someone can shed some light on this or give suggestions.

thanks all
Manager
Manager

Originally posted by username123 on 16 Jun 2010, 14:23.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
Send PM
username123 wrote:
pranrasvij wrote:
actually i have a similar fear about my current supervisor of approx 1.2 years. she is not a MBA but I am sure the recommendation will not be "Stellar". So, I was thinking of approaching my previous supervisors instead.

how do u explain to the b-school why you didnot choose ur current supervisor/boss? Is that fact held as a negative against you?

it would be great if someone can shed some light on this or give suggestions.

thanks all

Great question. I would like to know too!

Me too! Is it wise to have a short answer in the optional essay section saying You'd rather preserve job security, or make up another reason such as "former supervisors would be able to provide a more accurate blah blah" or something else?
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
nice question....I would like to know as well :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
I would love to hear insights/comments on similar experinces to these! Pretty much in the same situ. my self! Thanks!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Strategic Management, Finance, Managerial and Organizational Behavior
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2012
Send PM
Kudos
username123 wrote:
someone please tell me this doesn't happen...

I can't speak for the three you're talking about, but I know for a fact that Chicago takes steps to ensure that:
1) You are not interviewed by someone in your company, since it's an obvious conflict of interest. Additionally, they let you choose your interviewer, so as someone said, don't choose your boss
2) Your name and background information (employer/undergraduate univiersity/applying/admitted/denied/etc.) are not searchable by alumni or students until you matriculate

I would imagine other schools do the same.
Manager
Manager

Originally posted by username123 on 17 Jun 2010, 09:59.
Last edited by username123 on 20 Oct 2016, 11:00, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [1]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Corp Fin
Schools:Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
 Q44  V42 GMAT 2: 710  Q47  V40
GPA: 1.87
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP &amp; Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Send PM
Kudos
I agree with highhopes. Schools exercise discretion in the admissions process and as long as your recommender doesn't tell anyone, your supervisor is unlikely to find out (at least until the background verification stage). Unless you're admitted, you're not entered into any sort of database that alumni have access to.

Regarding your choice of recommender, I would pick someone who: 1) thinks highly of you and 2) can demonstrate that they have sufficient understanding of your skills and work ethic by providing specific examples. This person does not have to be your direct supervisor. You can ask someone at your work who has supervised you perhaps on a few projects, or even a client.

Depending on your recommender selection and the school you apply to, you might have to explain this briefly in the optional essay, but this is nothing you should worry about. Plenty of candidates do not approach their direct supervisor every year, so your case would not stick out. As long as you have a good reason (and I would strongly advise against volunteering info such as that your boss doesn't think highly of you), no adcom is going to question said recommendation. Job security is perhaps a good reason and one that many candidates use. As an aside, feel free to provide your recommender with a bullet point list of areas you'd like them to touch on in the rec, but do find a recommender who thinks enough of you to write your recommendation for you and not ask you to do it yourself.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
ariel wrote:
I agree with highhopes. Schools exercise discretion in the admissions process and as long as your recommender doesn't tell anyone, your supervisor is unlikely to find out (at least until the background verification stage). Unless you're admitted, you're not entered into any sort of database that alumni have access to.

Regarding your choice of recommender, I would pick someone who: 1) thinks highly of you and 2) can demonstrate that they have sufficient understanding of your skills and work ethic by providing specific examples. This person does not have to be your direct supervisor. You can ask someone at your work who has supervised you perhaps on a few projects, or even a client.

Depending on your recommender selection and the school you apply to, you might have to explain this briefly in the optional essay, but this is nothing you should worry about. Plenty of candidates do not approach their direct supervisor every year, so your case would not stick out. As long as you have a good reason (and I would strongly advise against volunteering info such as that your boss doesn't think highly of you), no adcom is going to question said recommendation. Job security is perhaps a good reason and one that many candidates use. As an aside, feel free to provide your recommender with a bullet point list of areas you'd like them to touch on in the rec, but do find a recommender who thinks enough of you to write your recommendation for you and not ask you to do it yourself.

thanks Ariel. Excellent advice.

I do know of a couple of coworkers/friends who were asked by their managers/supervisors to just write the recommendation themselves and they may make v few changes. Why do you so that it is not a good thing? Is there a possibility the schools will sniff it out due to "similarity of style" or language"?

I was thinking along the same lines... to ask my informal technical lead to give me teh recommendation instead (since we work more closely anyways!)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Corp Fin
Schools:Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
 Q44  V42 GMAT 2: 710  Q47  V40
GPA: 1.87
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP &amp; Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Send PM
pranrasvij wrote:

thanks Ariel. Excellent advice.

I do know of a couple of coworkers/friends who were asked by their managers/supervisors to just write the recommendation themselves and they may make v few changes. Why do you so that it is not a good thing? Is there a possibility the schools will sniff it out due to "similarity of style" or language"?

I was thinking along the same lines... to ask my informal technical lead to give me teh recommendation instead (since we work more closely anyways!)

They might or they might not, there's no guarantee either way. Even if they don't, in my mind there are other reasons not to do it, e.g.: you're not likely to provide the same level of depth and awareness of your career progression and potential as a more senior person would, you'll be too overwhelmed with your apps even without having that extra burden, it's just not the right thing to do, etc.
GMAT Club Bot