It is currently 19 Feb 2018, 19:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

is there improvement?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 May 2016
Posts: 6
is there improvement?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2017, 10:33
hi all, i have a question: is it generally possible to improve the gmat score? i understand the question sounds really strange, however, my younger brother studied full time for 3 months and he could not improve more than ten score points from 490. on the contrary, i got 690 ten years ago, and with no prep, i again got 690. and now someone tells me that 'gmat score rarely changes'. i hope you prove me wrong with real examples of improvement and changes in scores, please. thanks in advance.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 25 Nov 2016
Posts: 57
Location: Switzerland
GPA: 3
Premium Member
Re: is there improvement? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2017, 12:28
Hi you can definitely improve your score with a good study plan, just check the other thread in the forum. But I think it's the same for everything , some people perform better than the other..
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
D
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 11036
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: is there improvement? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2017, 22:00
Hi hoosni,

The GMAT is a consistent, predictable Test, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. The key word there is "train" - you have to learn the necessary content, train in the proper Tactics, hone your skills, eliminate the little mistakes from your work, learn how to properly handle the physical/mental/psychological aspects of the Test, etc. If you don't train properly, then your general score range will likely remain the same (and GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability, so if you take the GMAT twice and score within 0-30 points on both attempts then you are essentially performing the same).

Are you asking these questions for yourself or for your brother?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Feb 2017
Posts: 3
Re: is there improvement? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2017, 22:52
The GMAT or graduate management admission test is a standardized test that is used by many business school to assess your application for admission. The test measures your mathematical, verbal and analytical writing skills. If you can get high score, you can prepare very well. A good study plan will be prepare and also work very hard. Then you can score it high.
BSchool Thread Master
avatar
G
Joined: 23 Mar 2015
Posts: 159
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V28
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V28
GMAT 3: 680 Q49 V35
WE: Engineering (Real Estate)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: is there improvement? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2017, 23:54
hoosni wrote:
hi all, i have a question: is it generally possible to improve the gmat score? i understand the question sounds really strange, however, my younger brother studied full time for 3 months and he could not improve more than ten score points from 490. on the contrary, i got 690 ten years ago, and with no prep, i again got 690. and now someone tells me that 'gmat score rarely changes'. i hope you prove me wrong with real examples of improvement and changes in scores, please. thanks in advance.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app


Yes you can improve once you familiarize yourself with the tricks gmat question writers use. Practice is also an important issue so is working on one's weak topics/
_________________

Kindly click on the +1 Kudos if you found my post helpful. Thank you! :)

|
|
|
V

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 May 2016
Posts: 6
Re: is there improvement? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2017, 10:22
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi hoosni,

The GMAT is a consistent, predictable Test, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. The key word there is "train" - you have to learn the necessary content, train in the proper Tactics, hone your skills, eliminate the little mistakes from your work, learn how to properly handle the physical/mental/psychological aspects of the Test, etc. If you don't train properly, then your general score range will likely remain the same (and GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability, so if you take the GMAT twice and score within 0-30 points on both attempts then you are essentially performing the same).

Are you asking these questions for yourself or for your brother?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Hi Rich, thanks! I am actually asking this for my little bro. I am myself not much bothered about my score because 10 yrs ago I had 690, and without prep, still the same score. I was a bit bothered he spent a lot of time, but not much improvement. I hope learning is not linear, and he will increase his score despite uneven distribution of time spent.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
D
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 11036
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: is there improvement? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2017, 10:59
Hi hoosni,

If your brother studied consistently for 3 full months but didn't improve his score at all, then we should really try to examine how he was studying. By extension, if his goal is to score much higher than 490, then he should NOT continue to study in the same ways as before. To start, (if he has not yet done so), then he should set up an account here so that he can post his own questions and seek out advice. He can also feel free to contact me directly if he'd rather not post the details publicly.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Feb 2017
Posts: 5
Re: is there improvement? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2017, 22:16
Well, there may be problems with the study plan.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 May 2016
Posts: 6
Re: is there improvement? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2017, 05:35
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi hoosni,

If your brother studied consistently for 3 full months but didn't improve his score at all, then we should really try to examine how he was studying. By extension, if his goal is to score much higher than 490, then he should NOT continue to study in the same ways as before. To start, (if he has not yet done so), then he should set up an account here so that he can post his own questions and seek out advice. He can also feel free to contact me directly if he'd rather not post the details publicly.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Thanks, Rich. I also thought thought the prep method needs to be reviewed.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Re: is there improvement?   [#permalink] 27 Feb 2017, 05:35
Display posts from previous: Sort by

is there improvement?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR FEBRUARY
Math Revolution - $69/mo Type Coupon Code: HOTDEAL2
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL - $75 off all packages Valentine's special. Valid until Feb. 15
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.