GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 07 Jul 2020, 20:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Is waiving courses worth it??

new topic post reply Update application status  
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Is waiving courses worth it??  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2019, 10:16
Hey all, I've been going back and forth on this, particularly if you've gone through the core programs at Haas I'd love to hear from you. I'm doing the EWMBA program and I can waive between 1 and 3 classes at Haas, but at first blush I decided not to.

My reasons for not waiving are 1. The cohort experience and associated networking are going to be negatively affected (if slightly), 2. I can audit elective classes I want to take anyway, 3. It's an easy A

I spoke to some current students, and they advised me to waive what I can. They mentioned that 1. The cohort experience and networking wouldn't be impacted that much, 2. It would allow me to dig into electives earlier.

Also, something I'm split on is whether it would be a waste of time sitting in a class I could waive, or the quality of a Haas class would be so high that I would not only be engaged but also learn new things in a core functionality that I still use often.
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V40
Re: Is waiving courses worth it??  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2019, 08:58
I'm a 2nd year EWMBA who has waived a few core courses so here is my take on it:

I wouldn't waive any course in your first Semester (Fall A) so you can establish your network within your cohort and socialize. After FallA (Leading People & Micro), I would definitely recommend to waive core courses if you can.

My reasoning was: I spend thousands of $$ on courses and might as well make it worth it. Not only will you expand your network with other years/cohorts by taking electives but you'll still be able to socialize with your own cohort because there are plenty of core course which are not eligible to waive.

Plus, there are lots of people who waive courses during core so you won't be the only one.

mbawootwoot wrote:
Hey all, I've been going back and forth on this, particularly if you've gone through the core programs at Haas I'd love to hear from you. I'm doing the EWMBA program and I can waive between 1 and 3 classes at Haas, but at first blush I decided not to.

My reasons for not waiving are 1. The cohort experience and associated networking are going to be negatively affected (if slightly), 2. I can audit elective classes I want to take anyway, 3. It's an easy A

I spoke to some current students, and they advised me to waive what I can. They mentioned that 1. The cohort experience and networking wouldn't be impacted that much, 2. It would allow me to dig into electives earlier.

Also, something I'm split on is whether it would be a waste of time sitting in a class I could waive, or the quality of a Haas class would be so high that I would not only be engaged but also learn new things in a core functionality that I still use often.
Intern
Intern
Re: Is waiving courses worth it??  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2019, 04:04
Thanks for the topic.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Is waiving courses worth it??   [#permalink] 02 Jul 2019, 04:04

Is waiving courses worth it??

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: variantguy