GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Aug 2018, 01:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Is Wharton worth it?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Is Wharton worth it?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2018, 10:56
I was accepted to Booth EMBA for 2018 with a small scholarship, Wharton waitlisted me and I ultimately got the rejection letter shortly before class start. I’ve gotten feedback from Wharton Adcom that they’d like a 700+ GMAT from me in order to reapply. I took the EA and scored 150-160 range, but ultimately while Wharton says they now accept EA, they generally don’t yet trust it and equate a perfect score on it as only a 650 GMAT score.

My manager thinks Booth would send me into an “overly analytical” career trajectory instead of the finance and leadership path of Wharton. I am in finance now and plan on staying in a finance role post-grad. I will have to travel to both schools, I prefer Chicago over Philly but that isn’t really a deciding factor. The WL process at Wharton was painful and the idea of taking GMAT doesn’t excite me after how Wharton reacting during the waitlist process.

My question is, with Booth doing everything to get me there, is Wharton worth jumping through extra hoops? Is there another school that might be as good for me? I am modestly contemplating CBS/LBS Global Americas program but am not very keen on NYC or being a Wall Streeter.

Thanks!
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Is Wharton worth it?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2018, 11:54
Welcome to GMAT Club (i have moved your discussion to a better forum).
I have strong respect for the Booth program - it has done very well in terms of being a finance hub. Despite ranking as #1 last year and #2 this year in BW rankings, it still does not have the ring of H/S/W, but things like that take time, and if you live in Chicago, Booth and Kellogg tend to dominate the city, and you can get pretty much any door open for you there. I also like Chicago a lot more than Philly, as a city to work, live, eat, etc but that's personal and not key as you said.

There are stereotypes about programs such as Wharton is always better than Booth or that Booth is too theoretical. I am not sure how accurate that is for their EMBA program or with the wide choice of classes both offer and frankly, Booth has been beating Wharton in the last few years in terms of rankings.... The person you are talking to may be thinking about Wharton from 10 years ago.

I would do my own research, as well as look back at what is driving for the EMBA decision.... and consider that being close to your EMBA network will be helpful. You don't want to be flying to the west coast for example if you plan to stay in New York since many people end up networking and getting jobs through their EMBA classmates.

Back to Wharton, consider the GMAT requirement and whether it will be a considerable battle to take it. You can take it one thing at a time and if you are already familiar with EA, perhaps it is a short prep period for the GMAT. The GMAT does put more requirements on the candidate, but it also makes the school/program harder to get and more selective, which usually drives more commitment from the applicants and more bonding among the students as misery loves company.

P.S. Sorry about the WL process. That is annoying and many schools seem to have a mind-set of a one-season-lifespan. They think people only consider them for a season so they can be very last minute about their decisions. True of FT and PT programs alike. It is not their fault per se, but rather the system in general works this way, esp if they do not lack applicants, and only a number of schools that actually stand out and make the WL process more humane and don't make one feel like a second class citizen. I have seen a number of people on GMAT Club reject much higher ranked schools simply due to the WL management process.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2018, 12:08
As I understand, an EA is Executive Assessment which is generally conducted for EMBA programs. It is normally in lieu of the GMAT/GRE as standardised tests.

An EA of one program may differ from that of another. Please do your own research by going to each program website for further info.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2018, 18:33
sagarsahu wrote:
As I understand, an EA is Executive Assessment which is generally conducted for EMBA programs. It is normally in lieu of the GMAT/GRE as standardised tests.

An EA of one program may differ from that of another. Please do your own research by going to each program website for further info.

Posted from my mobile device

There is only one Executive Assessment, and it is an official test administered by GMAC. Wharton says they accept it, but last year was the first year they did. I am only applying to EMBA programs, and both schools I wanted to go to said they accepted it, Booth strongly encouraged it, which is why I took that test. It is the same content as GMAT except it is 1.5 hours instead of 3.5 hours and excludes geometry questions. According to Wharton, it is too new for them to assess correlation in a good score to program success and they consider GMAT the “gold standard.” I basically wasted my time taking the EA for Wharton and wouldn’t recommend it to anyone looking at getting accepted in their EMBA programs.
Intern
Intern
Is Wharton worth it?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2018, 18:41
bb wrote:
Welcome to GMAT Club (i have moved your discussion to a better forum).
I have strong respect for the Booth program - it has done very well in terms of being a finance hub. Despite ranking as #1 last year and #2 this year in BW rankings, it still does not have the ring of H/S/W, but things like that take time, and if you live in Chicago, Booth and Kellogg tend to dominate the city, and you can get pretty much any door open for you there. I also like Chicago a lot more than Philly, as a city to work, live, eat, etc but that's personal and not key as you said.

There are stereotypes about programs such as Wharton is always better than Booth or that Booth is too theoretical. I am not sure how accurate that is for their EMBA program or with the wide choice of classes both offer and frankly, Booth has been beating Wharton in the last few years in terms of rankings.... The person you are talking to may be thinking about Wharton from 10 years ago.

I would do my own research, as well as look back at what is driving for the EMBA decision.... and consider that being close to your EMBA network will be helpful. You don't want to be flying to the west coast for example if you plan to stay in New York since many people end up networking and getting jobs through their EMBA classmates.

Back to Wharton, consider the GMAT requirement and whether it will be a considerable battle to take it. You can take it one thing at a time and if you are already familiar with EA, perhaps it is a short prep period for the GMAT. The GMAT does put more requirements on the candidate, but it also makes the school/program harder to get and more selective, which usually drives more commitment from the applicants and more bonding among the students as misery loves company.

P.S. Sorry about the WL process. That is annoying and many schools seem to have a mind-set of a one-season-lifespan. They think people only consider them for a season so they can be very last minute about their decisions. True of FT and PT programs alike. It is not their fault per se, but rather the system in general works this way, esp if they do not lack applicants, and only a number of schools that actually stand out and make the WL process more humane and don't make one feel like a second class citizen. I have seen a number of people on GMAT Club reject much higher ranked schools simply due to the WL management process.

Thank you for the reply and the help in moving the post! I am still on the fence about putting the work in for the GMAT as I fear they may come up with another excuse not to accept me even if I do all that work. My issue with my manager’s view of Booth is I have a sneaking suspicion I won’t get as much financial support from my company (via him making my case) if he doesn’t support the school I want to attend.

Does anyone have insight on how much of a scholarship Booth can give applicants for EMBA program? My understanding was last year was the first year they had a scholarship pool for EMBA and I wasn’t sure if taking the GMAT could get me a better scholarship from them on a worst case scenario if I did all that work and still got rejected by Wharton. I am fairly uncertain about where I would live post-grad, so I want to make sure I get more national/global recognition; for that reason, I get the feeling Wharton would be stronger. I agree Booth has a very solid reputation in the Midwest, but when I say Booth in other parts of the country I get some blank stares. When I say UChicago, most people respond with “oh, the economics school” -__-
Is Wharton worth it? &nbs [#permalink] 21 Jul 2018, 18:41

Is Wharton worth it?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap