Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 18 Jul 2019, 06:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Is x > 0?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Nov 2012
Posts: 52
Schools: NTU '16 (A)
Is x > 0?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 01 Aug 2013, 04:43
1
10
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

63% (01:29) correct 37% (01:38) wrong based on 296 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics


Is \(x > 0\)?

(1) \(|x + 3| = 4x - 3\)

(2) \(|x + 1| = 2x - 1\)


Now, I approached the question in the following manner:

Statement 1:
|x+3|>=0 always
So,

4x-3>=0
so X>=3/4

Sufficient

Statement 2

similarly 2X-1>=0
x>1/2
Sufficient

So: D each statement is enough.

Can you tell me whether I am missing something conceptually?
Or a case in which this approach might fail?

Will i be better served using the traditional long approach , solving for X and substituting to see if it satisfies the equation??


Thanks..

Originally posted by 12bhang on 01 Aug 2013, 04:31.
Last edited by Zarrolou on 01 Aug 2013, 04:43, edited 2 times in total.
Edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 56251
Re: Is x > 0?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2014, 08:52
3
3
jlgdr wrote:
Shortcut LHS, RHS for this one anyone?

Cheers!
J :)


Is \(x > 0\)?

(1) \(|x + 3| = 4x - 3\) --> LHS is an absolute value, which is always non-negative (\(|some \ expression|\geq{0}\)), so RHS must also be non-negative --> \(4x-3\geq{0}\) --> \(x\geq{\frac{3}{4}}\), hence \(x>0\). Sufficient.

(2) \(|x + 1| = 2x - 1\). The smae here: LHS is an absolute value, which is always non-negative (\(|some \ expression|\geq{0}\)), so RHS must also be non-negative --> \(2x-1\geq{0}\) --> \(x\geq{\frac{1}{2}}\), hence \(x>0\). Sufficient.

Answer: D. (You can see that you don't even need to find exact value(s) of x to answer the question.)

Similar question to practice: is-x-0-1-x-3-4x-3-2-x-3-2x-127978.html
_________________
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Aug 2009
Posts: 457
Schools: Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Re: Is x > 0?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2013, 04:41
4
12bhang wrote:
Is x > 0?
(1) |x + 3| = 4x – 3
(2) |x + 1| = 2x – 1


Statement 1
If |x + 3| >= 0 -----> x+3 = 4x-3 ----->3x=6----->x=2
If |x + 3| < 0 -----> -x-3 = 4x-3 ----->5x=0----->x=0
x=0 is not possible because we assumed that x+3<0 or x<-3. Thus the only possible value of x is 2.
Sufficient

Statement 2
If |x + 1| >= 0 -----> x+1 = 2x-1 ----->x=2----->x=2
If |x + 1| < 0 -----> -x-1 = 2x-1 ----->3x=0----->x=0
x=0 is not possible because we assumed that x+1<0 or x<-1. Thus the only possible value of x is 2.
Sufficient

Answer D
_________________
If you like my Question/Explanation or the contribution, Kindly appreciate by pressing KUDOS.
Kudos always maximizes GMATCLUB worth
-Game Theory

If you have any question regarding my post, kindly pm me or else I won't be able to reply
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Nov 2012
Posts: 52
Schools: NTU '16 (A)
Re: Is x > 0?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2013, 07:04
2
fameatop wrote:
12bhang wrote:
Is x > 0?
(1) |x + 3| = 4x – 3
(2) |x + 1| = 2x – 1


Statement 1
If |x + 3| >= 0 -----> x+3 = 4x-3 ----->3x=6----->x=2
If |x + 3| < 0 -----> -x-3 = 4x-3 ----->5x=0----->x=0
x=0 is not possible because we assumed that x+3<0 or x<-3. Thus the only possible value of x is 2.
Sufficient

Statement 2
If |x + 1| >= 0 -----> x+1 = 2x-1 ----->x=2----->x=2
If |x + 1| < 0 -----> -x-1 = 2x-1 ----->3x=0----->x=0
x=0 is not possible because we assumed that x+1<0 or x<-1. Thus the only possible value of x is 2.
Sufficient

Answer D



Ok. that is the correct conventional way. Here's what i thought.


|x+3| will always be either > or = to 0.
So , 4x-3>=0
So, x>3/4, which is greater than 0.
So sufficient.

statement 2:
|x+1|>=0
So , 2x-1>=0
or x>=1/2
which is greater than 0
so sufficient

D

What I want to know is whether there is any loophole in my approach. I.e am i missing out on some hidden value of the modulus or something and whether it is better to solve for X and then check whether it falls in the range.

Please help.

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Jul 2013
Posts: 305
Re: Is x > 0?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2013, 05:32
12bhang wrote:
Is \(x > 0\)?

(1) \(|x + 3| = 4x - 3\)

(2) \(|x + 1| = 2x - 1\)


Now, I approached the question in the following manner:

Statement 1:
|x+3|>=0 always
So,

4x-3>=0
so X>=3/4

Sufficient

Statement 2

similarly 2X-1>=0
x>1/2
Sufficient

So: D each statement is enough.

Can you tell me whether I am missing something conceptually?
Or a case in which this approach might fail?

Will i be better served using the traditional long approach , solving for X and substituting to see if it satisfies the equation??


Thanks..

this is a wrong process. 3/4 or 1/2 never satisfies the two equations of statements.... use x = 3/4 0r 1/2 in those equations you will see these aren't the solutions.......
some good process already members publishes here, use them.........
thanks
_________________
Asif vai.....
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Nov 2012
Posts: 52
Schools: NTU '16 (A)
Re: Is x > 0?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2013, 03:53
Asifpirlo wrote:
12bhang wrote:
Is \(x > 0\)?

(1) \(|x + 3| = 4x - 3\)

(2) \(|x + 1| = 2x - 1\)


Now, I approached the question in the following manner:

Statement 1:
|x+3|>=0 always
So,

4x-3>=0
so X>=3/4

Sufficient

Statement 2

similarly 2X-1>=0
x>1/2
Sufficient

So: D each statement is enough.

Can you tell me whether I am missing something conceptually?
Or a case in which this approach might fail?

Will i be better served using the traditional long approach , solving for X and substituting to see if it satisfies the equation??


Thanks..

this is a wrong process. 3/4 or 1/2 never satisfies the two equations of statements.... use x = 3/4 0r 1/2 in those equations you will see these aren't the solutions.......
some good process already members publishes here, use them.........
thanks



Hi, Thanks for your insight.

I agree that the equation does not hold true at the given values. However, the question does not need us to find the actual values.

merely proving that the value of x>0 is enough. This will be proved, as the LHS in both statements are in the modulus and will return values that are greater than or equal to zero.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 1647
Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Is x > 0?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2014, 12:56
Shortcut LHS, RHS for this one anyone?

Cheers!
J :)
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 1647
Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Is x > 0?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2014, 12:32
Bunuel wrote:
jlgdr wrote:
Shortcut LHS, RHS for this one anyone?

Cheers!
J :)


Is \(x > 0\)?

(1) \(|x + 3| = 4x - 3\) --> LHS is an absolute value, which is always non-negative (\(|some \ expression|\geq{0}\)), so RHS must also be non-negative --> \(4x-3\geq{0}\) --> \(x\geq{\frac{3}{4}}\), hence \(x>0\). Sufficient.

(2) \(|x + 1| = 2x - 1\). The smae here: LHS is an absolute value, which is always non-negative (\(|some \ expression|\geq{0}\)), so RHS must also be non-negative --> \(2x-1\geq{0}\) --> \(x\geq{\frac{1}{2}}\), hence \(x>0\). Sufficient.

Answer: D. (You can see that you don't even need to find exact value(s) of x to answer the question.)

Similar question to practice: is-x-0-1-x-3-4x-3-2-x-3-2x-127978.html


Is it because you have 2x - 1 and therefore 2x>=1, x>=1/2?

What if you had 2x + 1? Will it still work? Don't thimk so right? We would need to analyze both scenarios

Please advice
Cheers!
J :)
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 56251
Re: Is x > 0?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2014, 01:34
1
jlgdr wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
jlgdr wrote:
Shortcut LHS, RHS for this one anyone?

Cheers!
J :)


Is \(x > 0\)?

(1) \(|x + 3| = 4x - 3\) --> LHS is an absolute value, which is always non-negative (\(|some \ expression|\geq{0}\)), so RHS must also be non-negative --> \(4x-3\geq{0}\) --> \(x\geq{\frac{3}{4}}\), hence \(x>0\). Sufficient.

(2) \(|x + 1| = 2x - 1\). The smae here: LHS is an absolute value, which is always non-negative (\(|some \ expression|\geq{0}\)), so RHS must also be non-negative --> \(2x-1\geq{0}\) --> \(x\geq{\frac{1}{2}}\), hence \(x>0\). Sufficient.

Answer: D. (You can see that you don't even need to find exact value(s) of x to answer the question.)

Similar question to practice: is-x-0-1-x-3-4x-3-2-x-3-2x-127978.html


Is it because you have 2x - 1 and therefore 2x>=1, x>=1/2?

What if you had 2x + 1? Will it still work? Don't thimk so right? We would need to analyze both scenarios

Please advice
Cheers!
J :)


We could still solve \(|x + 1| = 2x + 1\) with this approach to get x. LHS is an absolute value, which is always non-negative, so RHS must also be non-negative --> \(2x+1\geq{0}\) --> \(x\geq{-\frac{1}{2}}\). For, \(x\geq{-\frac{1}{2}}\), \(x+1>0\), hence \(|x + 1| = x + 1\) --> \(x + 1 = 2x + 1\) --> \(x=0\).

But if it were \(|x - 1| = 2x + 1\), then getting \(x\geq{-\frac{1}{2}}\) from LHS, wouldn't be useful to determine whether \(|x - 1| = x - 1\) or \(|x - 1| = -(x - 1)\) because \(x-1\) could be positive as well as negative for different x'es which are more than or equal to -1/2. Therefore we should use usual method of solving for \(|x - 1| = 2x + 1\), not RHS/LHS.

So, this method is not universal and can be applied only when non-modulus part defines x in such way that helps to get the sign of absolute value expression on the other side.

Does this make sense?
_________________
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 11693
Re: Is x > 0?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2018, 09:11
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Is x > 0?   [#permalink] 26 Sep 2018, 09:11
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Is x > 0?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne