Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 21:17 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 21:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32983 [7]
Given Kudos: 5780
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 370
WE:Marketing (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32983 [0]
Given Kudos: 5780
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Re: It has been commonly accepted for some time now that certain scenes in [#permalink]
This passage discusses the discovery of interpolations (non-Shakespearean sections) in Macbeth, highlighting historical context and potential impacts. It notes the historical significance but argues it complicates character analysis due to mixed authorship.

Author's Tone
The tone of the author is balanced. They present information objectively, discussing both positive (historical insight) and negative (interpretation difficulty) aspects of the discovery. While the mention of "plagiarism" might seem negative, it's more an objective reference than expressing judgment on Shakespeare's intentions or character.

Answer Explanations
1. C) III Only

Correct:

III) Current understanding of plagiarism: The passage explicitly states Elizabethan notions might have differed, supporting this statement.
Incorrect:

I) Shakespeare guilty of plagiarism: The author discusses different interpretations but doesn't label him "guilty."
II) Author's motives: This is mentioned as a problem caused by the interpolations, aligning with statement II.

2. E) I, II, and III

All three options could potentially help:

I) Thematic irregularities within Shakespeare: Comparing other works might reveal similar patterns, indicating potential collaborations or styles influencing both authors.
II) Themes and techniques of contemporaries: Comparing styles of contemporaries like Middleton may highlight similarities or differences, supporting or refuting interpolation claims.
III) Legal documents: Although no guarantee, legal documents could shed light on plagiarism norms or collaborations during that era.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Re: It has been commonly accepted for some time now that certain scenes in [#permalink]
3. C) I and III Only

Incorrect:

I) Illegal today: The passage only mentions differing standards, not making definitive claims about today's laws.
III) Shakespeare without consent: The passage doesn't provide evidence about consent; it identifies Middleton's authorship but not specific details of the arrangement.
Correct:

II) Assistance when composing: The passage directly suggests collaborative practices in Shakespeare's time, supporting this statement.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13966 posts