Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 20 Jul 2019, 11:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

It was because she was plagued by injuries that tennis celebrity Tracy

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
V
It was because she was plagued by injuries that tennis celebrity Tracy  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2018, 02:21
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

57% (01:37) correct 43% (01:28) wrong based on 289 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

It was because she was plagued by injuries that tennis celebrity Tracy Austin, who won the Italian and U.S. Opens at age 16 in 1979, sat out the years between 1984 to 1988, occasionally working as a television commentator.

(A) It was because she was plagued by injuries that tennis celebrity Tracy Austin, who won the Italian and U.S. Opens at age 16 in 1979, sat out the years between

(B) After winning the Italian and U.S. Opens in 1979 at the age of 16, injuries plagued tennis celebrity Tracy Austin and forced her to sit out from

(C) Tracy Austin, the tennis celebrity who, plagued by injuries, won the Italian and U.S. Opens at age 16 in 1979, sat out from

(D) Plagued by injuries, tennis celebrity Tracy Austin, who won the Italian and U.S. Opens at age 16 in 1979, sat out the years from

(E) Tennis celebrity Tracy Austin, who won the Italian and U.S. Opens at age 16 in 1979, was plagued by injuries when she sat out between

B
Re: It was because she was plagued by injuries that tennis celebrity Tracy  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2018, 09:06
3/2 Split “Between”/ “From”....Since it is 1984 to 1988 the correct idiom will be “From”...Hence, A and E are out....Option B - run on sentence issue and the usage of “and” is irrelevant....In option C the injuries wrongly modifies the sentence implying that she won inspire of injuries...Option D fixes all these issues..!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: It was because she was plagued by injuries that tennis celebrity Tracy  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2018, 23:32
Please explain why Not "c" but "d". E is out because it changes the meaning that she was out first than injury happened.
A- run out Subject verb issue
B- incorrectly modify injuries instead of Tracy Austin

Also the phrase " sat out the year from " is it correct?
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2019, 09:33
Why C is incorrect?

Expert please explain

Thank you
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 610 Q44 V30
GPA: 3
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2019, 13:09
ballest127 wrote:
Why C is incorrect?

Expert please explain

Thank you

(C) Tracy Austin, the tennis celebrity who, plagued by injuries, won the Italian and U.S. Opens at age 16 in 1979, sat out from

If you read C slowly you will recognize that C says that Tracy Austin won the Italien and U.S. Opens, while she was plagued by injuries. But that is not the case. She had a break due to her injuries. Hence, C has a meaning error and the correct meaning is written in E.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2019, 22:34
It was because she was plagued by injuries that tennis celebrity Tracy Austin, who won the Italian and U.S. Opens at age 16 in 1979, sat out the years between 1984 to 1988, occasionally working as a television commentator.

(A) It was because she was plagued by injuries that tennis celebrity Tracy Austin, who won the Italian and U.S. Opens at age 16 in 1979, sat out the years between-> awkward

(B) After winning the Italian and U.S. Opens in 1979 at the age of 16, injuries plagued tennis celebrity Tracy Austin and forced her to sit out from --> winning should modify TA, not injuries

(C) Tracy Austin, the tennis celebrity who, plagued by injuries, won the Italian and U.S. Opens at age 16 in 1979, sat out from--> plagued is modifying who??

(D) Plagued by injuries, tennis celebrity Tracy Austin, who won the Italian and U.S. Opens at age 16 in 1979, sat out the years from--> correct

(E) Tennis celebrity Tracy Austin, who won the Italian and U.S. Opens at age 16 in 1979, was plagued by injuries when she sat out between--> TA was plagued by injuries, then sat out(, not when sat out)
Non-Human User
Re: It was because she was plagued by injuries that tennis  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2019, 03:37
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: It was because she was plagued by injuries that tennis   [#permalink] 12 May 2019, 03:37

It was because she was plagued by injuries that tennis celebrity Tracy

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics