Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 04:19 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 04:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619841 [0]
Given Kudos: 81626
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2063 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 152 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: Jones Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Kudos
You need to think about this in a bit more comprehensive way.

Before you start troubleshooting any concerns about your undergraduate GPA, it is useful to understand the purpose it serves in the MBA application evaluation.

Your performance in your undergraduate program or any previous master’s program is used as an indicator of how well you will do academically as an MBA student. It gives the MBA adcom a sense of your academic ability – a tremendously important part of the evaluation of any MBA candidate.

The GPA also is a critical part of MBA programs class profiles and that’s an important point. Competitive class profiles are a source of pride for schools.

When you are trying to alleviate concerns about your low undergraduate GPA, there is nothing more powerful than a strong GMAT or GRE score.

However, even a stellar GMAT won’t completely remove any doubt about your academic preparedness. In addition to mitigating, you may need to explain the circumstances that led to your lackluster GPA. Generally, a GPA below 3.2 will need to be addressed in your optional essay.

You can find my very detailed guide to the GPA in the MBA admissions process here: https://www.mymbapath.com/insights/gpa-mba-admissions

And here is the guide to the optional essay that you should use to explain your low GPA: https://www.mymbapath.com/insights/mba- ... onal-essay
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Re: Jones Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
AbMo wrote:
Hey all,

Currently prepping for GRE and aiming for 320+ (please let me know if that would offset my gpa).

Work experience:
2 as a Staff Accountant
4 as a Staff Accountant (promoted from Jr.)

GPA- 2.6 attended University of Houston- Clear Lake. Graduated July 2018

Volunteer: Helping Hand

I know my GPA was low. It was a mix of divorce, lack of interest, and attending 6-7 different colleges due to moving for family purposes (retook many classes).

Would 3 solid letters of recommendations along with the optional essay explaining my GPA offset the low GPA that I have ASSUMING I score a GRE of 320?

TIA!

Hey AbMo,

Having a high score on the GRE, like a 320, is definitely a plus for your application to the Jones MBA program. It shows that you have the ability to handle the academic rigours of the program. But it's not a guarantee. The admissions committee will look at your entire profile before making a decision about your candidacy. And if your GPA is lower than what they expect, it could be a challenge. But, having a high GRE score could help balance that out.

Here's the thing: It's totally okay to have a lower GPA. Sometimes, life happens, and it affects our grades. And that's why the optional essay is a great opportunity for you to explain the reasons for your lower GPA. It will give the admissions committee more context and a better understanding of your situation. So don't hesitate to take advantage of that opportunity. It could make all the difference in your application.

If you need more help, we'd be happy to setup a call and give more pointers on how to improve your profile and the right schools you should target.
You can setup a call via this link:
https://bit.ly/3DSH5km
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools: Jones (A)
GPA: 2.59
Send PM
Yup, I figured getting a good GRE/GMAT score would offset a low GPA.

Currently aiming to take my first attempt at the GRE in 2 months. Aiming for 320+. Hopefully its good enough, along with strong recommendation letters and optional essay explaining low gpa to get into Rice PMBA.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Expert Reply
AbMo wrote:
Yup, I figured getting a good GRE/GMAT score would offset a low GPA.

Currently aiming to take my first attempt at the GRE in 2 months. Aiming for 320+. Hopefully its good enough, along with strong recommendation letters and optional essay explaining low gpa to get into Rice PMBA.

Hello AbMo,

Apologies for the delayed response but we hope this finds you in time still.

The optional essay will be crucial in your case. Make sure you do not make it sound like you are justifying things; state the facts in a candid manner, elaborate on how things have stabilized now, and you feel positioned to embark on a fresh journey.

All the best!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619841 [0]
Given Kudos: 81626
Send PM
Re: Profile review (pending GRE). LOW GPA!!! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Jones (Rice University) Profile Evaluation
Introducing New Better Profile Evaluations on GMAT Club!

Considering your application to a B-School? The first step in this significant journey is to evaluate your profile to gauge where you stand among the vast pool of applicants. We're excited to introduce a NEW and IMPROVED consolidated list of tools and platforms available on GMAT Club to assist you in this endeavor.