Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:48 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [34]
Given Kudos: 445
Schools: IIM (II)
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GPA: 3.84
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [7]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 40
WE:Web Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 290 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Re: Just as photosynthesis allows plants to convert [#permalink]
Kudos
1. Just as photosynthesis allows plants to convert carbon dioxide and water into organic food, - correct comparison. I don't find any error. Let's move on and look for a better option.

2. Like photosynthesis, ((which)) allows plants to convert carbon dioxide and water into organic food, - only one fragment of a sentence...verb missing. Incorrect.

3. ((Similar to photosynthesis allowing)) plants' conversion of carbon dioxide and water into organic food, - incorrect comparison.

4. ((Similar to allowing plants)) to convert carbon dioxide and water into organic food, as done during photosynthesis, - incorrect comparison.

5. As photosynthesis, ((which)) allows plants to converts carbon dioxide and water into organic food, - same as B.

Thus, A seems best.

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
tamal99 wrote:
Just as photosynthesis allows plants to convert carbon dioxide and water into organic food, cellular respiration enables
animals to convert oxygen into energy.

1. Just as photosynthesis allows plants to convert carbon dioxide and water into organic food,

2. Like photosynthesis, which allows plants to convert carbon dioxide and water into organic food,

3. Similar to photosynthesis allowing plants' conversion of carbon dioxide and water into organic food,

4. Similar to allowing plants to convert carbon dioxide and water into organic food, as done during photosynthesis,

5. As photosynthesis, which allows plants to converts carbon dioxide and water into organic food,
Wat is wrong with 5? please explain.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
daagh wrote:
Just as photosynthesis allows plants to convert carbon dioxide and water into organic food, cellular respiration enables animals to convert oxygen into energy.

Structurally, this is a complex sentence, with the as clause acting as a subordinate clause and the second part as the main clause.

1. Just as photosynthesis allows plants to convert carbon dioxide and water into organic food --- perfect foil

2. Like photosynthesis, which allows plants to convert carbon dioxide and water into organic food, - wrongly compares a noun phrase with an IC -

3. Similar to photosynthesis allowing plants' conversion of carbon dioxide and water into organic food-- same problem as in B

4. Similar to allowing plants to convert carbon dioxide and water into organic food, as done during the photosynthesis, -- it is not made clear that it is photosynthesis that allows the plants to do conversion. Meaning is substantively twisted.

5. As photosynthesis, which allows plants to convert carbon dioxide and water into organic food ---- Meaning distorted. This choice says that cellular respiration takes the role of photosynthesis.

Actually, neither photosynthesis allows nor respiration enables (both are action verbs); they are status verbs during which these processes occur. Maybe this is not so relevant to GMAT SC.

But Sir I think Just As X, so Y is the correct structure. That's why I removed option A and E and marked B.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Just as X so Y need not be there always. Think of these sentences:
Just As I was rushing to the station, the train left.
Just as I was about to hit the bed, the telephone ring woke me up. But B is grammatically wrong for the reason I stated.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 799 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
OA: A

The original sentence is correct as it is.

Quote:
Comparison as is the most important conjunction use of as on the GMAT. It sometimes appears together with just, so, or even so too:
Right: JUST AS the trains were late yesterday, the buses are late today.
Right: JUST AS the trains were late yesterday, SO TOO are they late today.

Source: :MGMAT SC
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [1]
Given Kudos: 445
Schools: IIM (II)
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GPA: 3.84
Send PM
Kudos
daagh wrote:
Just as photosynthesis allows plants to convert carbon dioxide and water into organic food, cellular respiration enables animals to convert oxygen into energy.

Structurally, this is a complex sentence, with the as clause acting as a subordinate clause and the second part as the main clause.

1. Just as photosynthesis allows plants to convert carbon dioxide and water into organic food --- perfect foil

2. Like photosynthesis, which allows plants to convert carbon dioxide and water into organic food, - wrongly compares a noun phrase with an IC -

3. Similar to photosynthesis allowing plants' conversion of carbon dioxide and water into organic food-- same problem as in B

4. Similar to allowing plants to convert carbon dioxide and water into organic food, as done during the photosynthesis, -- it is not made clear that it is photosynthesis that allows the plants to do conversion. Meaning is substantively twisted.

5. As photosynthesis, which allows plants to convert carbon dioxide and water into organic food ---- Meaning distorted. This choice says that cellular respiration takes the role of photosynthesis.

Actually, neither photosynthesis allows nor respiration enables (both are action verbs); they are status verbs during which these processes occur. Maybe this is not so relevant to GMAT SC.

Hello daagh sir,
If we look into option 2 like this-

Like photosynthesis, which allows plants to convert carbon dioxide and water into organic food, cellular respiration
enables animals to convert oxygen into energy.

isn't it a Noun to Noun comparison and if that is the case then can't we use LIKE?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Tamal
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 723 [4]
Given Kudos: 294
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Hey tamal,

I think you need to understand the usage of the word like. Let me help you with an example

Like tamal, Rahul is good in studies.

What does this sentence say? Tamal is good in studies and so is Rahul

Now coming back to your doubt. It means just as photosynthesis enables animals to convert oxygen to energy, so does respiration enable animals to do the same

Does this make any sense at all? No. Hence the comparison used is incorrect.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you still have any queries

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 286
Concentration: Operations, Finance
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
we use 'like' for Noun, pronoun and 'as' for clause ...so why B is incorrect.. Pls help
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [4]
Given Kudos: 97
Send PM
Just as photosynthesis allows plants to convert [#permalink]
Kudos