Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:14 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: IMD '18 HSG '19
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Just started ! [#permalink]
Hi !

Thanks for your kind reply, much appreciated !

My answers are below:

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Sergiu,

I'll start by answering your questions:

1) Yes, it IS important to answer EVERY question in the Quant and Verbal sections (even if it's just with a guess). As you continue to study, your pacing should naturally improve to the point that you should be able to avoid this situation in the future.

I basically started two weeks ago and I have already realized that my pace got better and i am starting to average 1.5 minutes per question. I already started seeing "types" of questions that follow a somewhat similar patters so I know what to look for in these questions. I haven't done many, but as I practice, I get much better.

As well, for every question I get wrong on my practice I really try to understand where I went wrong and what strategy I can adopt in order to solve it fast. I see it works.

2) Data Sufficiency is the question type that is unique to the GMAT and many Test Takers find DS questions to be challenging (especially early on). DS questions follow consistent and predictable patterns though, so you CAN train to handle them more effectively and pick up some BIG points.

As mentioned, I started to realize that there is a pattern in these questions and I already improved my ratio of good:bad answers.

3) Many Business Schools have publicly stated that they do not consider an applicant's IR score as part of the application review process, so you don't have to do too much work on that section (and while you shouldn't skip it entirely during your training, there are other areas that are far more valuable to your overall performance and score).

Thank you !

Your 'baseline' CAT score is solid (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years), but some of your goals are not clear, so I'm hoping that you can answer a few questions:

1) What is your goal score?

Realistically, I am aiming for a 650. I will train as much as I can, but I won't be depressed if I won't get a 700+. I like to be realistic about what I can achieve and what I can not.

2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?

I am planning on taking the GMAT test wither in December or January. That gives me 3-4 months of study time which I think is not bad. But then again, I work full time so I can only manage about 10-15 hours of studying / week.

3) What are the specific application deadlines that you're facing?

I would like to apply as early as possible. As far as I remember the first deadline for IMD is in February 2016 (for 2017 intake). St Gallen is very similar I believe.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,

Ha, good one !!

Rich

Sergiu
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Sergiu,

With a December or January Test Date, you have plenty of time to study (even while you have a full-time job), which is good. Your score goal is absolutely achievable too (with the time that you've allotted before your Test, you could very well score 700+ if you have the proper resources and set you mind to the task).

Since you've already acquired some study resources, I suggest that you study as you see fit for the next 2 weeks or so, then take another FULL-LENGTH CAT (including the Essay and IR sections). If you see an improvement with that CAT score, then you should proceed in the same way; if you see a similar score (to your 'baseline' CAT), then some adjustments to your study plan might be in order.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
mstrhz wrote:
Hello,

Your story resonates with me a lot, except I would say I have a 2 week head start. I have a similar background in engineering and scored almost the same on my first practice test.

I would recommend to start working on two things right away:
- Building a mindset around the GMAT: Really understand that it's not about theory and being smart. Strategy, time management and perseverance are equally as important, if not, more.
- Develop mental stamina and self-discipline; can't emphasize this enough. Be aware of mental fatigue when you feel tired and try to overcome it by pushing yourself just a bit further.

Hope you have a rewarding journey and we'll probably run into each other again!

Hi !

Wise words indeed.

The paradox was that I got better on the verbal than on the quant. I have an engineering background and English is my second language. Because of thsi I was expecting reversed results.
The low quant score was a blow to my ego as I have always done well in math (geometry, ordinary / partial diff equations / complex domain, etc).

As for your recomemndations, I am starting to realize that it's about seeing the patters in the questions and develop the strategies to answer each type of question.

I found that being disciplined and RESTED is insanely important. Rest for me plays a HUGE role in how well I do on a test.

Did you write the final GMAT?

Sergiu
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Rich,

Since I was very defficient on the Quant section (especialy DS) I was planning working on this handicap for the next 3 weeks. After that alternate Verbal and Quant for 2-3 weeks and take another full length CAT around early to mid October.

I feel I am already making progress and I exponentially answer correctly more and more problems. I believe this is related a lot to the fact that I try to understand where I go wrong and understand teh solution.

I'll keep in mind the Score Booster on EMPOWER Gmat.

Cheers,
Sergiu
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Rich,

Quick question regarding the achieved scores.

I was reading in the OG that not answering for example 5 quant questions could take one from the approx 92nd percentile to 76th percentile (or something like that).

If I would have answered the Quant questions (I missed about 3), do you think I would have been closer to the 600 mark? That's assuming out of the 3 questions I answered correctly only one of easy difficulty.

SG

SergX wrote:
Hi Rich,

Since I was very defficient on the Quant section (especialy DS) I was planning working on this handicap for the next 3 weeks. After that alternate Verbal and Quant for 2-3 weeks and take another full length CAT around early to mid October.

I feel I am already making progress and I exponentially answer correctly more and more problems. I believe this is related a lot to the fact that I try to understand where I go wrong and understand teh solution.

I'll keep in mind the Score Booster on EMPOWER Gmat.

Cheers,
Sergiu
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
HI SergX,

The scoring algorithm on the Official GMAT (and by extension, whatever 'version' is included with the GMATPrep software) is far more complex than most people realize. As such, you shouldn't waste your timing trying to figure it out.

In answer to your question, not answering the last 3-4 questions in either the Quant or Verbal sections would certainly cost you some points. The number of points depends on a number of factors, including how you were performing on the questions before you ran out of time, and whether the questions at the end even counted or not (a certain number of questions on Test Day are 'experimental' and are worth 0).

Again, you shouldn't be spending your time thinking about this issue - better to make the necessary adjustments to how you handle your Tests so that this situation doesn't happen again.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Just started ! [#permalink]
Kudos
Quote:
Hi !

Wise words indeed.

The paradox was that I got better on the verbal than on the quant. I have an engineering background and English is my second language. Because of thsi I was expecting reversed results.
The low quant score was a blow to my ego as I have always done well in math (geometry, ordinary / partial diff equations / complex domain, etc).

As for your recomemndations, I am starting to realize that it's about seeing the patters in the questions and develop the strategies to answer each type of question.

I found that being disciplined and RESTED is insanely important. Rest for me plays a HUGE role in how well I do on a test.

Did you write the final GMAT?

Sergiu

I haven't done the official test yet, though I have booked it for the end of this month. Definitely an interesting test, I feel like it changes the way you think (kind of like an engineering degree does). In my opinion, this test isn't about getting high grades, it's more about developing a mind set that is critical and able to analyze things differently.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
HI SergX,

The scoring algorithm on the Official GMAT (and by extension, whatever 'version' is included with the GMATPrep software) is far more complex than most people realize. As such, you shouldn't waste your timing trying to figure it out.

In answer to your question, not answering the last 3-4 questions in either the Quant or Verbal sections would certainly cost you some points. The number of points depends on a number of factors, including how you were performing on the questions before you ran out of time, and whether the questions at the end even counted or not (a certain number of questions on Test Day are 'experimental' and are worth 0).

Again, you shouldn't be spending your time thinking about this issue - better to make the necessary adjustments to how you handle your Tests so that this situation doesn't happen again.

Rich

Hi Rich,

Thank you for your input and advice. Kindly appreciated.

Sergiu
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 318 [1]
Given Kudos: 341
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Duke '19 (II)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Sergiu,

1) Regarding leaving questions unanswered - Agree that it is a complex algo. But I have read in some places that each unanswered question takes your percentile down by 3. Not sure of the authenticity of this, but if it's even slightly true, it is a very big hit. It could be the reason you scored low, but may not be the only reason.

2) My experience with GMAT Prep - I am taking the GMAT in a couple of months and I took the GMATPrep test (the first) after 2-3 weeks of study (almost full time). I was extremely surprised to see 760 even though I got 14 of the quant questions wrong and 4 of the verbal. Your score depends quite a lot on which questions, what difficulty, how many in a row, how much time you spend at the end (whether the software thinks you are just guessing if you answered 5 questions in 5 seconds, say) and so on and so forth. Just a couple of days after that, I took the gmatclub test and scored a 670 with an abysmal verbal score - so bummer.

3) Data sufficiency - that's a new monster to understand. As you said, you'll start to recognize patterns - don't assume integers if not specified, positive does not include zero, percentages and actual values behave very differently, it's OK to have two equations in three variables if you are not asked the values of the variables themselves but rather are asked something like "what's x+y+z?" and so on.
One of the keys is to completely ignore A when you evaluate B the first time. It is pretty logical, but I agree some of the problems are tough to get your head around. Especially as you move on, you'll find the OG problems get tougher toward the end. Practice will help here.

4) General - I experimented solving a lot of problems, but my sense so far is, it helps to pick a topic (like how Manhattan gives you), master it, solve all problems you can find on that topic and then move on. Also, what I call "meta-study" is important - you have to go back, revise what you found difficult/what you got wrong and remember why you committed the mistake you did. Finding patterns and remembering them is very important.
According to me, solving 20 problems and really, really spending time understanding them inside and out is more beneficial than solving 100 but not revising solutions/reiterating strategy.

5) Future study plan - Since I am pretty much in the same place as you are, here's what I am going to do, see if it helps you too: I have read Manhattan CR and am halfway through SC. I am going to finish a quick read/solving of these. I am going to solve OG the first time entirely on my own with what little extra reading that happens side by side. I am going to go through gmatclub Math Book (available for free) once. THEN, I am going to repeat Manhattan CR, SC and gmatclub Math book. This time, I will try and remember strategies, specific equations etc etc. and underline important stuff while I revise the books. Then, I will go through all problem explanations in OG (the entire OG explanation section for all categories of questions) to see which ones I was doubtful about, which ones I got wrong, why, and even the ones I got right (to see if a better approach was available). Once this is done, I will take up OG Verbal Review and Quant Review with the aim to really, really reduce the error rate compared to the first pass of OG done earlier based on the study and revisions done so far. I will probably intermingle this phase with Manhattan's 6 tests that I got with the SC guide / the 2 extra tests I purchased for GMAT Prep / gmatclub tests (if I am able to accumulate kudos, so there's how you can help :) )

I think going topic-by-topic will be helpful - read the theory, immediately try out problems. This should help really "fix" it in your mind. Manhattan has the list of questions on each topic from the OG that I will try and look at the next time I read the guide (I only have the SC and CR guides,but still).

One final point - I believe really spending time (even as much as 4-5 mins) on a tough question and getting it right is really good, compared to moving on every 2 mins. You only have to worry about time in the last 10 mins (PROVIDED your usual experience is that you are able to do questions in an average time of 2 mins - oh yeah, make sure you time yourself every time you solve practice questions). Some questions hardly take a few seconds, so you can use the extra time on tough ones and getting the tough ones right is a good boost.

Hope this helps! Best to you for your GMAT! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Good Info for GMAT preparation. Thank you!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I hope it's make a lot of improvement in my study plan for GMAT.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Good answers worth a lot for GMAT geeks.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi !

Thank you for your great reply. It helps seeing different perspectives.

I made a few comments below.

HardWorkBeatsAll wrote:
Hi Sergiu,

1) Regarding leaving questions unanswered - Agree that it is a complex algo. But I have read in some places that each unanswered question takes your percentile down by 3. Not sure of the authenticity of this, but if it's even slightly true, it is a very big hit. It could be the reason you scored low, but may not be the only reason.

It's stated in the OG that 5 unanswered questions can knock you down by almost 20 percent, percentile-wise.

2) My experience with GMAT Prep - I am taking the GMAT in a couple of months and I took the GMATPrep test (the first) after 2-3 weeks of study (almost full time). I was extremely surprised to see 760 even though I got 14 of the quant questions wrong and 4 of the verbal. Your score depends quite a lot on which questions, what difficulty, how many in a row, how much time you spend at the end (whether the software thinks you are just guessing if you answered 5 questions in 5 seconds, say) and so on and so forth. Just a couple of days after that, I took the gmatclub test and scored a 670 with an abysmal verbal score - so bummer.

760 is impressive ! What you are saying makes perfect sense.

3) Data sufficiency - that's a new monster to understand. As you said, you'll start to recognize patterns - don't assume integers if not specified, positive does not include zero, percentages and actual values behave very differently, it's OK to have two equations in three variables if you are not asked the values of the variables themselves but rather are asked something like "what's x+y+z?" and so on.
One of the keys is to completely ignore A when you evaluate B the first time. It is pretty logical, but I agree some of the problems are tough to get your head around. Especially as you move on, you'll find the OG problems get tougher toward the end. Practice will help here.

This is indeed a new beast. But we must tame the beast :) and if others did it, so shall we. Practice is key.

4) General - I experimented solving a lot of problems, but my sense so far is, it helps to pick a topic (like how Manhattan gives you), master it, solve all problems you can find on that topic and then move on. Also, what I call "meta-study" is important - you have to go back, revise what you found difficult/what you got wrong and remember why you committed the mistake you did. Finding patterns and remembering them is very important.
According to me, solving 20 problems and really, really spending time understanding them inside and out is more beneficial than solving 100 but not revising solutions/reiterating strategy.

I spoke to someone that got a 780 on GMAT. Her approach was do to figure out where she made mistakes, identify these weaknesses and then go and practice those topics over and over and over again. I read a lot of posts from people that were complaining about low GMAT scores despite a lot of studying. The patters was that most of them did not bother too much understanding where they made mistakes. They were not analysing teh solutions of the problems they got wrong, and because of that I believe they were not changing their approach to the type of problems they were getting wrong. Doing practice problems will show you what you know and what you don't know. The ones you don't know you can either spend a lot of time alone trying to figure them out or read the solution and see what the approach is.

I barely get to do 2 hours / day (I spend 11 hours with work + commuting) so that doesn't leave much time to study. My focus is primarely to do problems, understand them - even if i get the solution right i want to check that i had teh right thought process. I try to do about 10 questions / day, and do them well. The questions I don't know, I mark. After I do 50 questions let's say...i go back and re-attempt the ones I didn't initially know. That's teh strategy...if i get the problem wrong, i read teh solution, understand it as best as I can logically then attempt the problem at a later date.

5) Future study plan - Since I am pretty much in the same place as you are, here's what I am going to do, see if it helps you too: I have read Manhattan CR and am halfway through SC. I am going to finish a quick read/solving of these. I am going to solve OG the first time entirely on my own with what little extra reading that happens side by side. I am going to go through gmatclub Math Book (available for free) once. THEN, I am going to repeat Manhattan CR, SC and gmatclub Math book. This time, I will try and remember strategies, specific equations etc etc. and underline important stuff while I revise the books. Then, I will go through all problem explanations in OG (the entire OG explanation section for all categories of questions) to see which ones I was doubtful about, which ones I got wrong, why, and even the ones I got right (to see if a better approach was available). Once this is done, I will take up OG Verbal Review and Quant Review with the aim to really, really reduce the error rate compared to the first pass of OG done earlier based on the study and revisions done so far. I will probably intermingle this phase with Manhattan's 6 tests that I got with the SC guide / the 2 extra tests I purchased for GMAT Prep / gmatclub tests (if I am able to accumulate kudos, so there's how you can help :) )

I think you got it all figured out in terms of your strategy. My strategy is as follows:
- spend the rest of september on Quant (solve problems from OG). Redo problems i did not know how to initially solve.
- at the same time go though quant section of mangattan
- watch magoosh videos on all quant sections

In october I will start alternating Quant with Verbal. I feel I have a huge quant defficiency which I need to make up for. Around mid October I will take 2 full practice tests and see how my progress is.

I think going topic-by-topic will be helpful - read the theory, immediately try out problems. This should help really "fix" it in your mind. Manhattan has the list of questions on each topic from the OG that I will try and look at the next time I read the guide (I only have the SC and CR guides,but still).

One final point - I believe really spending time (even as much as 4-5 mins) on a tough question and getting it right is really good, compared to moving on every 2 mins. You only have to worry about time in the last 10 mins (PROVIDED your usual experience is that you are able to do questions in an average time of 2 mins - oh yeah, make sure you time yourself every time you solve practice questions). Some questions hardly take a few seconds, so you can use the extra time on tough ones and getting the tough ones right is a good boost.

By the way...where do you plan on applying?

Hope this helps! Best to you for your GMAT! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 318 [1]
Given Kudos: 341
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Duke '19 (II)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Good strategy, keep it up, I am sure you'll do very well indeed!

As to where I plan on applying - US schools, my favourites are Tuck, Darden, Cornell, Kellogg. Will also apply to Tepper, UNC, Goizueta and McCombs. Safety - Foster, Owen, maybe Boston College and one or two others. Depends on a lot of factors still and I will probably apply next year, so still undecided as to the exact list.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Those applications will take a toll on your wallet !!

I am aiming for 2 butique MBA programs - IMD and St. Gallen :)

HardWorkBeatsAll wrote:
Good strategy, keep it up, I am sure you'll do very well indeed!

As to where I plan on applying - US schools, my favourites are Tuck, Darden, Cornell, Kellogg. Will also apply to Tepper, UNC, Goizueta and McCombs. Safety - Foster, Owen, maybe Boston College and one or two others. Depends on a lot of factors still and I will probably apply next year, so still undecided as to the exact list.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Progress Update

Today, 5 weeks after I started studying for GMAT, I took my second full GMAT test. And it was not good news. I got a 580 compared to the 560 I got 5 weeks ago.

I guess I am going in the right direction but not fast enough. In all honestly I kind of slacked. I have been studying 1-1.5 hours a day and a bit on weekends.

I was expecting a more significant improvement though. I was expecting to get over 600. At least I felt I was going to...

Sergiu
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Sergiu,

The GMAT is remarkably good at giving you the score that you EARN. From what you've described, you haven't been approaching your studies in a particularly serious way (if you truly 'slacked' and didn't put in much study time over the last month, then this score isn't much of a surprise). The funny thing is that a 580 is so close to a 600+ that you could have very easily scored at that level on this CAT (but you haven't trained enough to earn those missing points).

Since it's been a month since your original post, and your two CAT scores are almost the same, you might want to rethink how you've been studying so far. It sounds like it's time to make some adjustments to your study plans.

Rich
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2