It is currently 23 Aug 2017, 20:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Just Took The GMAT, What Are My Chances Of Getting Into Duke?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Schools: McCombs '20
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V41
GPA: 3.42
Reviews Badge
Just Took The GMAT, What Are My Chances Of Getting Into Duke? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2016, 13:24
This post was
BOOKMARKED
So I'm not looking for hard probabilities and I promise I won't hold anyone to what they say, I'm just looking for a broad "Yea it's possible" to "No you are stupid for even considering it".

3.4 GPA from the University of Arizona in Accounting
4 Years of employment experience with management experience
GMAT 680 with 41V 43Q 7IR
Not a minority by any means
Will probably write a good essay and have middle of the pack letters of rec

I wouldn't apply until next year, but I'm only going to attend if it's a top 20 school.

What are you thoughts? Is it worth applying or am I stupid for thinking I could get in?

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Concentration: Strategy, Operations
WE: Accounting (Computer Software)
Re: Just Took The GMAT, What Are My Chances Of Getting Into Duke? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2016, 13:30
You have pretty much my exact same credentials between undergraduate major, GMAT, and work experience. I had admits from several top 20's with scholarship money. With Duke slecificaly, I was wait listed; however, I withdrew my name from the wait list as I had already decided on another school. I suggest take the GMAT again if you can as it will only help improve your chances, but you are certainly in the running! Good luck :)

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2016, 13:36
yellowbrick422 wrote:
You have pretty much my exact same credentials between undergraduate major, GMAT, and work experience. I had admits from several top 20's with scholarship money. With Duke slecificaly, I was wait listed; however, I withdrew my name from the wait list as I had already decided on another school. I suggest take the GMAT again if you can as it will only help improve your chances, but you are certainly in the running! Good luck :)

:lol: This makes me happy! If you don't mind me asking, which schools were you admitted to and how much was the scholarship $$$$? Just helps me paint a pretty picture in my head.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 12

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2016, 13:39
Take the GMAT again - Verbal is good, but you should aim to get your Q up aorund 47/48ish. Was in a similar situation with experience, degree, and minority status. A good GMAT will help - there are a ton of non-minority accountants out there.

Is it possible, of course - Duke is a big fit school and if you can demonstrate that you will be a strong fit, then you have a shot. That being said, it will be tough. Top 20 school - sure, schools like Georgetown, CMU, UNC, Vandy, Indiana, so on (whatever you consider that 17-20 range). Definitely more likely, but again, you have time, just retake the test! Life will be much easier if you are above average with the GMAT and GPA.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q39 V46
GPA: 3.66
WE: Brand Management (Health Care)

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2016, 14:08
This post received
KUDOS
Saw you're also looking at Texas. I applied to both Duke and McCombs with a 700 GMAT and 3.66 GPA, marketing degree from state school, product management experience in healthcare.

I thought I was a shoo in a McCombs and expected Duke to be my reach. As fortune would have it, I got in at Duke and WL at Texas (and accepted to IE and Anderson PT w/ scholarship). I thought I killed my app and interview at Texas and didn't feel as confident about my Fuqua interview, though I worked very hard on my essays. I guess, my takeaway is that you can look at the average GPA's and GMAT's all you want, but when it comes down to it, many schools are looking for the right fit. They didn't think I was the right fit at McCombs, but did at Fuqua, and that's where I'll be going starting in August :)

I think you'll give yourself much better odds if you were able to crack that 700 mark, though. They look for fit, but it helps your cause if your scores are at or above average. :-D

Intern
Intern

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2016, 14:13
josephrhuber wrote:
Saw you're also looking at Texas. I applied to both Duke and McCombs with a 700 GMAT and 3.66 GPA, marketing degree from state school, product management experience in healthcare.

I thought I was a shoo in a McCombs and expected Duke to be my reach. As fortune would have it, I got in at Duke and WL at Texas (and accepted to IE and Anderson PT w/ scholarship). I thought I killed my app and interview at Texas and didn't feel as confident about my Fuqua interview, though I worked very hard on my essays. I guess, my takeaway is that you can look at the average GPA's and GMAT's all you want, but when it comes down to it, many schools are looking for the right fit. They didn't think I was the right fit at McCombs, but did at Fuqua, and that's where I'll be going starting in August :)

I think you'll give yourself much better odds if you were able to crack that 700 mark, though. They look for fit, but it helps your cause if your scores are at or above average. :-D

Thanks! I really don't want to retake the GMAT. Doing all of the work for 20 extra points doesn't seem to be worth it to me.

I've heard from several people that the schools look for a fit not entirely the scores. I'm also sure that helps the student in the long run as well.

This has helped a ton. Thanks for your insights.

Current Student

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2016, 15:31
Just to clarify, a 680 is a good score and I am by no means trying to imply otherwise. I just know that the MBA application process is tough and unpredictable. You have 3/4 months before EA and 1st rounds begin, might as well take two weeks to study and try and improve the score. Believe me, everyone here knows how draining the exam is, but in 2 weeks if you leave with a 700+ it will be worth it.

That all being said, I had a sub 3 GPA from a little known school. Anything is possible.

As far as GMAT having little benefit in the future - it really depends on what you want to do. If you want MBB, it will matter. I've heard 700 is their normal threshold. Not sure about banking, but I would venture to guess they look at it as well.

Either way - best of luck and feel free to ask if you have Duke specific questions. I thought their application was relatively enjoyable, the 25 things list is actually kind of fun to do.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V32
GPA: 3.33
WE: Analyst (Retail Banking)

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2016, 18:44
Hi!

I do agree that Duke is a big fit school and chemistry plays a significant part on whether you get in or not. Dig deeper about Team Fuqua spirit and decide whether that aligns to your ideals on both personal and professional life.

I applied to Fuqua (admitted) and McCombs (WL) with slightly lower GPA and GMAT score compared to yours. However, I benefited from being a sponsored student. I think in your case, boosting your GMAT to 700+ is worth the time & effort. As for the recommendation, try to get a meaningful one from a supervisor / colleague who values your quality and is excited to say so in the letter. Your competitors will do the same.

Assuming that you will apply next year, make the best of your remaining year at work to position yourself as a great candidate for the MBA (e.g. exciting projects, strategy & management involvement, etc). Consider taking MOOC courses necessary (think of Coursera & others).

I wish you the best of luck!
Go for it!

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q39 V46
GPA: 3.66
WE: Brand Management (Health Care)

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2016, 07:19
This post received
KUDOS
laytonjacobcox wrote:
josephrhuber wrote:

Thanks! I really don't want to retake the GMAT. Doing all of the work for 20 extra points doesn't seem to be worth it to me.

I've heard from several people that the schools look for a fit not entirely the scores. I'm also sure that helps the student in the long run as well.

This has helped a ton. Thanks for your insights.

I understand completely. If you think that the effort to squeeze another 20 or so points out will just take too long or be too difficult, then forego it and focus on crafting an impeccable resume, getting your recs together, and researching your target programs... which may be the most important of all.

If this was your first try and you think you could reasonably improve your score by building on the base you already have and spending a few more weeks on it, I think it's worth it, especially if you're targeting a top 10ish school. You won't be able to apply to more than 4 schools during R1, so targeting your apps is very important. Schools in the 20-25 range (Emory, Vandy, Kelley, Carnegie, etc) have average GMATs in the 680's-690's with acceptance rates at like 30-40%. So no matter where you apply, once you hit 'submit' on that app in September you want to know that you put your absolute best effort into it that you could. At this point, you can't improve your GPA and can't do too much to improve your work experience. So the only variables are essays, interviews, and GMAT (and targeting the right schools).

That said, I spent 2 months studying for the GMAT and ended up spending way more time on research and applications, so even though it seems like you have a lot of work already behind you, you still have plenty ahead during the application process and you definitely want to make the most of all that work and get into the best school you can for your goals. Hopefully this was helpful and not too daunting :)

Intern
Intern

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2016, 08:39
josephrhuber wrote:

I understand completely. If you think that the effort to squeeze another 20 or so points out will just take too long or be too difficult, then forego it and focus on crafting an impeccable resume, getting your recs together, and researching your target programs... which may be the most important of all.

If this was your first try and you think you could reasonably improve your score by building on the base you already have and spending a few more weeks on it, I think it's worth it, especially if you're targeting a top 10ish school. You won't be able to apply to more than 4 schools during R1, so targeting your apps is very important. Schools in the 20-25 range (Emory, Vandy, Kelley, Carnegie, etc) have average GMATs in the 680's-690's with acceptance rates at like 30-40%. So no matter where you apply, once you hit 'submit' on that app in September you want to know that you put your absolute best effort into it that you could. At this point, you can't improve your GPA and can't do too much to improve your work experience. So the only variables are essays, interviews, and GMAT (and targeting the right schools).

That said, I spent 2 months studying for the GMAT and ended up spending way more time on research and applications, so even though it seems like you have a lot of work already behind you, you still have plenty ahead during the application process and you definitely want to make the most of all that work and get into the best school you can for your goals. Hopefully this was helpful and not too daunting :)

This is helpful as well. I studied for about 2 months for the GMAT and on the practice tests the best quant score wasn't much higher, so I feel like it would take some significant effort (another month or two) for me to raise that Quant high enough to be impressive. I'm also half afraid that I just killed my verbal and couldn't recreate that score if I took the test again.

I'm only 25, so I could apply next year and see if I get in and if not, retake gmat, break that 700 level, reapply, and still be younger than the average age at any of these schools.

I've started the research behind each of the schools and I could easily find myself fitting the "culture" at either of my top 4.

I think I've got the answer for my main question: "Is it silly to think I could get in now?" and the answer seems to be a no. It's happened before and could easily happen again if I can get some good letters of recs and great essays.

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 3

Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2016, 13:02
laytonjacobcox wrote:
So I'm not looking for hard probabilities and I promise I won't hold anyone to what they say, I'm just looking for a broad "Yea it's possible" to "No you are stupid for even considering it".

3.4 GPA from the University of Arizona in Accounting
4 Years of employment experience with management experience
GMAT 680 with 41V 43Q 7IR
Not a minority by any means
Will probably write a good essay and have middle of the pack letters of rec

I wouldn't apply until next year, but I'm only going to attend if it's a top 20 school.

What are you thoughts? Is it worth applying or am I stupid for thinking I could get in?

I would want to know more about your work experience. That is the biggest wild card here. On paper you could make it, but the work experience would be the deciding factor since nothing in your stats would make you a sure admit.

Email me if you want to discuss further. scott@personalmbacoach.com

Good luck!

Best,
Scott

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 3

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
B

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2016, 22:06
Thanks for sharing.

You have a chance as is especially if you can write compelling essays. However, it would be worth it to strengthen different aspects of your application as it would improve your chances. Adding another 20 points to your GMAT would help. Influencing recommenders to highlight aspects of your profile that would fit with Duke's culture would also help, as well as choosing the right accomplishments and personal experiences to share.

Wish you all the best!

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!.

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 7

Re: Just Took The GMAT, What Are My Chances Of Getting Into Duke?   [#permalink] 18 Jun 2016, 22:06