GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 23 Apr 2018, 00:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Katz v Simon

new topic post reply Update application status  

Katz v. Simon

• 11% [1]
  • 88% [8]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Katz v Simon [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2018, 14:28
Hello,

Any help/suggestions/insight would be appreciated in helping me make my decision between Pittsburgh and Rochester.

I'm looking to go into a career in brand management or another strategic marketing role.

After undergrad I interned on Capitol Hill and worked on political campaigns for two and a half years. Did a year in sales. Then worked at a large nonprofit foundation in an operations role for two years before being promoted to a role in project management where I have been for about two years.

I received about 40% off from both schools. Rochester is private so it is obviously still more expensive. After estimating total expenses I think Rochester would be ~$13k more.

Rochester will have me start in June to lighten my course load in the fall since my quant score on the GMAT was low. It's unfortunate I won't get to work more to bring more $ with me to school, but it is also appealing to have more time to focus on internship hunting. I've heard Rochester really helps students gain strong analytical skills. I feel like Rochester may be the better choice, but I'm not a fan of the long winters and most of their alumni is in the Northeast (not where I would like to be long term). I love the city of Pittsburgh and could see myself staying in Pittsburgh long term. Obviously Pitt has a lot of alumni in the city which is appealing.

Any opinions would be helpful. I didn't get into any Midwest schools and I'm almost 30 so I'm not looking to wait another year and try again.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Katz v Simon [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2018, 14:37
Congrats!!!

Simon has been going downhill a bit over the last 10 years but it has been within top 25 10’years ago.

The part I am not thrilled with is that Simon has 50% of international students. That’s quite high. Usually 30% is the norm.

Also, Simon has no local employers or really much happening. New York is the place everyone heads for recruiting.

Despite all of that I feel Simon can be a stronger choice.

Posted from my mobile device

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Booth '20 (M)
WE: Analyst (Venture Capital)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2018, 14:40
This post received
KUDOS
bb wrote:

Also, Simon has no local employers or really much happening. New York is the place everyone heads for recruiting.

That's not true. While Rochester isn't NYC, there are notable firms there. Wegmans, Constellation Brands, Paychex, and Bausch & Lomb are all headquartered in Rochester.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2018, 21:00
Thanks for the insight guys. Anyone else have any thoughts?
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2018, 21:18
Prices wrote:
bb wrote:

That's not true. While Rochester isn't NYC, there are notable firms there. Wegmans, Constellation Brands, Paychex, and Bausch & Lomb are all headquartered in Rochester.

Thanks for reporting! Is Kodak still a contender or is it completely gone?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2018, 19:41
bb wrote:
Prices wrote:
bb wrote:

Thanks for reporting! Is Kodak still a contender or is it completely gone?

Kodak and Xerox are still there.
Re: Katz v Simon   [#permalink] 17 Apr 2018, 19:41

Katz v Simon

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Wilch, teleste, jessepinkman

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap