Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Booth 2012
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Re: Keep in touch [#permalink]
agold, you can't leave a "keep in touch" post without leaving contact info so we can actually keep in touch w/ you. I guess PM is the way to go.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Ibanking
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
Send PM
Sleep it off, hit the gym, brush up those apps, and get back on the forum quickly.

The big difference here is summed up in what makes bschool fun. Jallen clearly has more life experience than agold yet both of them have a lot to offer and I'd bet they could work just fine together on a team project (both enlightening the other). They might just kill each other too.

I think I'm right in between you two and I can relate to both of you--the pressures of relocating a family and the fear of debt vs. the M7 or bust attitude of a young, hyper ambitious man.

I still drink the CFA cool-aid but, three years ago, I would have told anyone who wasn't convinced it's the greatest thing in the world that they would be washing my car in the near future.....so far, I haven't seen one of them at the car wash.

The point of my soapbox comments....who really cares if two people disagreed on these boards? As someone applying to a lot of schools with agold, his research and help has been invaluable on these boards....as a 700 GMAT scorer who has a lot to offer (remember, I'm on my soapbox) and someone who understands that the vast majority of us will not attend a M7 I can see where some of jallens comments are coming from.

Whether everyone agrees with them or not, both of them have earned there status on this board and I don't think it sets a good precedent to take that status away. Jallen has enough life experience and education to know that he shouldn't have banned agold just because he found his comments offensive (a little too sensitive, jallen). And, I'm certain agold can handle jallens comments.....if he can't, he needs to rethink his career path. Sometimes, just being called an a%* is a compliment.

I'm done. Agold, I hope you stick around here through this year...no need to walk away. I definetly think your status should be reinstated though.

Originally posted by pguard on 22 Nov 2008, 06:32.
Last edited by pguard on 22 Nov 2008, 08:49, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Shane...come back Shane!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [1]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
Kudos
I honestly don't get it - how difficult is this? Share what you know and be nice. How many times have I tried to communicate this? What am I missing? Show me I am wrong and agold can have his mod status back. for someone with 1300 posts, don't you think they should be leading by example?

have your fun, but not by belittling someone's dreams or their opinions. jallen posted something that meant a lot to him and what did he get? who in their right mind will want to open up on the forum if they get jumped on everytime? Once I belittle someone's opinions, they stop listening to me and it defeats the whole purpose of a discussion. Why can't your opinions stand by themselves? Does everyone else have to be wrong for you to be right?

As difficult a decision this is, i need to demonstrate how serious we are about people respecting each other. this is my personal failure to communicate what gmat club is about. if that means anything. it happens every year and it tears me apart.

let me say this again - if you cannot respect what gmat club is about, you don't belong here. leave. right now. for your own good and for ours.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Kudos
Maybe Praet should have a signature line that says something like "Be nice. Zero tolerance policy for jerks."......or something similar???
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Concentration: Finance, Ibanking
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
Send PM
Kudos
egy wrote:
i'm out of here too... this place is a joke.

How did this earn a kudos?

The kudos comes off like a guy standing outside the bar during a fight scared to go inside yet screaming, "that's what I'm talking about".
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: General Management; High Tech; Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg School of Management
 Q50  V41
Send PM
I don't know what the event that started this is and what the source of disagreement about is.

But without getting into it - I really think agold is an asset to these discussion groups and one of the most positive people I have had a chance to get to know online. It's his positive attitude and motivation that led me to share my interview experiences and I see him as a model for behaviour on the forums (and again, I have no idea what happened today).

This is one of the greatest online communities I have seen. I really think there has to be a way to work this out. I would hate to lose agold as a member here. If he did something that wen't against forum policy, I'm sure it can be worked out and won't happen again.

Originally posted by Gil on 22 Nov 2008, 09:48.
Last edited by Gil on 22 Nov 2008, 10:06, edited 2 times in total.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Kudos
This is all getting a bit too dramatic now. I don't see why being a moderator is such a big deal that having that taken away is being perceived as a "slap on the face."

terp06 and egy, while you're free to do whatever you think is right, I know both of you have plenty of friends on the board who would love to see you stay and post as usual.

GMATClub has grown, and any community with as many members is invariably going to have minor conflicts. Are there certain members who I disagree with, and frankly couldn't stand in real life? Yes, of course, yet I choose to stay for the ones I do like.

The rest is up to you. You have our best wishes.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
we need a class in conflict resolution..does booth offer such a class?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
fresinha12 wrote:
we need a class in conflict resolution..does booth offer such a class?

In LEAD we explored conflict, briefly but we did. I believe that as a LEAD facilitator one can explore much more.

Let's move on? Next Topic? :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 143 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, VC
Schools:Wharton, LBS, UChicago, Kellogg MMM (Donald Jacobs Scholarship), Stanford, HBS
 Q47  V45
Send PM
Jailen and agold embody the sometimes conflicting traits (young Gordon Gekko and reflective/caring adult wanting the best for those around him) of a lot of thoughful b-school applicants. I have a bit of both in me and reading them has always been a pleasure and a good source of information.

Though both seem to be to have carried out actions way out of line in the infamous thread, their contribution has been and remains great and they have apologized and acknowledged their errors, something you don't see quite often on these boards.

Removal of moderator status is a fair sanction and a completely harmless one (who uses moderators power anyway? Gmatclub should never need to moderate its members!) , so I say cut it out and carry on, you both have much more to give in your respective ways. I can only wish I could give so much to the board as you do.

p.s.: kwam, the article you posted about the endless possibilities of the young international elite really spoke to me. Best short essay I read in months --and I read a lot. It has been appreciated.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Concentration: General Management
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs
Send PM
Grow up!

agold, you have contributed a "lot" to this forum, people like me who visit this forum frequently have really have less to offer, but loads to take away.

Personally, my contribution is limited to "GMAT" since I'm planning to take one soon. However, occationally, I do glide my eyes on B-School applications and other forums, they help immensely.

We are humans with emotions (blame GOD!). I can understand why you might have chosen this route. But, all I can say is, your leaving talks a lot about who you really are. You're applying to some of the niche schools in the world, and I'm certain they wouldnt want people who give up.

Never the less, I enjoyed reading some of your posts. I hope you continue posting they way you did rather than just disappear.

Rest is up to you. Good luck, my best wishes!!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
egy wrote:
i'm out of here too... this place is a joke.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out!

Agold, I'll miss you buddy and I wish you'd reconsider, but it's your decision to leave. Be sure to PM me when you hear about Chicago and Tuck.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Concentration: 20% From Concentration
Schools:The School that shall not be named
 Q49  V38
Send PM
agold wrote:
Hey everyone,

The popular vote and the overall consensus of our community did not prevail today. It was really disturbing to see a "big brother" intervention today and it truly turned me off. The value of these boards to me has been in the ideal of free speech and the open sharing of opinions that everyone here takes part in. It is clear to me after today that many of my thoughts and opinions are not welcome.

agold/terp06, I just can't help but wonder that how do you know the popular vote and overall consensus of the community did not prevail?
Just because 10 or so members speak out for you doesn't mean the majority are aligned with you. It is possible that most people don't bother to post in this series of topics because they disagree but do not want to stir up more drama.

Anyways, you are free to do whatever you want, feel free to browse anonymously also. But really, don't post as if you have the proof even before any data collected. I don't think you can find a better forum than this place, so good luck with wherever you choose to hang out next. Godspeed.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
Hmmm,

I missed all the hoopla and I'm not taking sides. But I've always thought and exercised (I've had my share of run-ins w/people) that a moderator should not take moderator-actions on a topic/members of which he is involved. Other moderators should step in.

With that said, you need to respect other people's opinions, however obtuse they may be. Always.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Can someone tell me what happened earlier?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Haas '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Kudos