It is currently 20 Feb 2018, 11:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Keeping the nose of her kayak directly into the wind

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Keeping the nose of her kayak directly into the wind [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2017, 05:56
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

61% (00:43) correct 39% (00:53) wrong based on 175 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Keeping the nose of her kayak directly into the wind, she paddled fiercely toward the safety of the harbor through the seeming endless waves, each of those larger than the last.

(A) through the seeming endless waves, each of those larger than the last.
(B) through the seeming endless waves, each larger than the last.
(C) through the seemingly endless waves, each of those larger than the last.
(D) through the seemingly endless waves, each larger than the last.
(E) through waves that seemingly have no end, each larger than the last.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

Manager
Manager
G
Reviews Badge
Re: Keeping the nose of her kayak directly into the wind [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2017, 07:01
Keeping the nose of her kayak directly into the wind, she paddled fiercely toward the safety of the harbor through the seeming endless waves, each of those larger than the last.

(A) through the seeming endless waves, each of those larger than the last. (adjective 'seemingly' should be used)
(B) through the seeming endless waves, each larger than the last. (adjective 'seemingly' should be used)
(D) through the seemingly endless waves, each larger than the last. (best choice)
(E) through waves that seemingly have no end, each larger than the last. (changes the meaning)

P.S. Don't forget to give Kudos :)

Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2017, 18:20
rohan2345 wrote:

(A) through the seeming endless waves, each of those larger than the last.
(B) through the seeming endless waves, each larger than the last.
(D) through the seemingly endless waves, each larger than the last.
(E) through waves that seemingly have no end, each larger than the last.

A-Seeming is wrong , we need adverb
B- same as A
C-keep
D-keep
E- Modifier error

Between C and D ..D is more concise..hence D.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Finance

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2017, 03:37
This post was
BOOKMARKED

(A) through the seeming endless waves, each of those larger than the last. (Need adverb seemingly instead of seeming)
(B) through the seeming endless waves, each larger than the last. (Same as A)
(C) through the seemingly endless waves, each of those larger than the last. (Wordy)
(D) through the seemingly endless waves, each larger than the last. (Correct)
(E) through waves that seemingly have no end, each larger than the last. (Changes the meaning of the original sentence)

Kudos please if you like my explanation!

Kindly hit kudos if my post helps!

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2017, 11:12
In option d, seemingly (adverb) modifies endless waves which is noun, it should modify verb , could you please tell me how option d is correct?
Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2017, 15:28
Quote:
In option d, seemingly (adverb) modifies endless waves which is noun, it should modify verb , could you please tell me how option d is correct?

In this case, the adverb "seemingly" modifies the adjective "endless" -- not "waves." And that's not a problem at all: you can always use an adverb to modify an adjective.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset -- starts February 14!

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

VP
VP
P
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2017, 16:36
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:

In this case, the adverb "seemingly" modifies the adjective "endless" -- not "waves." And that's not a problem at all: you can always use an adverb to modify an adjective.

Dear Charles,

Is usage of 'each of those' correct? I think each is enough to refer to 'waves'.

What do you think?
Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2017, 10:03
Quote:
Is usage of 'each of those' correct? I think each is enough to refer to 'waves'.

What do you think?

Yeah, I agree with you in this case. "Each of those" seems redundant to me in this example: "... through the seemingly endless waves, each of the waves larger than the last." It's not grammatically wrong, exactly, but it seems like a waste of words. :)

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset -- starts February 14!

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests
Keeping the nose of her kayak directly into the wind [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2017, 14:13
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:

What do you think?

Yeah, I agree with you in this case. "Each of those" seems redundant to me in this example: "... through the seemingly endless waves, each of the waves larger than the last." It's not grammatically wrong, exactly, but it seems like a waste of words. :)

Can GMAT throw an option which is "correct" and just a little wordy ( a couple of redundant words)?
There has to be, in my view, more reason than just wordiness for C to be not a correct choice.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2017, 18:56
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
sevenplusplus wrote:
Can GMAT throw an option which is "correct" and just a little wordy ( a couple of redundant words)?
There has to be, in my view, more reason than just wordiness for C to be not a correct choice.

I think that the GMAT draws a distinction between redundancy and wordiness. I actually agree with you in general: "wordiness" isn't, by itself, a very compelling reason to eliminate an answer choice. In most official questions, there's something stronger than "wordiness" that allows you to eliminate the wrong answer choices.

(And yes, I know that the OG explanations often dismiss wrong answers as just "wordy" or "wordy and awkward." But the OG explanations are notoriously lazy, and weren't written by the same people who wrote the questions. In the overwhelming majority of cases, you can find a better reason for the elimination than just "wordiness". And I'd also argue that tons of right answers are pretty darned wordy... but that's not helpful. :) )

But redundancy is a different thing. If something is repeated unnecessarily, that's just wrong on the GMAT. There are official questions that squeeze the phrases "last year" and "annually" into the same sentence -- that's always wrong. There's another question that uses the phrase "has the ability to" and "to be able to" in the same sentence. That's unambiguously wrong, too.

To be fair, this (non-official!) question probably blurs the line a little bit between "wordiness" and "redundancy." If the ONLY difference between (C) and (D) is a couple of unnecessary words, I guess I'll always pick the one that doesn't have those unnecessary words. But official GMAT questions will usually give you something meatier to work with.

Need an expert reply?

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2017, 19:56
Top Contributor
Just one more angle to what Ninja has said reg: each of those". Herein, 'those' refers to the object of the preposition 'through' and therefore we need an object pronoun 'them' rather than the demonstrative subject pronoun 'those'.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Re: Keeping the nose of her kayak directly into the wind   [#permalink] 25 May 2017, 19:56

Keeping the nose of her kayak directly into the wind

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap