GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Jun 2018, 09:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kellogg vs. MIT-Sloan

new topic post reply Update application status  

Which one should I choose - Kellogg or Sloan ?

• 46% [24]
  • 53% [28]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 2.8
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Kellogg vs. MIT-Sloan [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2014, 08:03
Hi Guys,
I got admits from both Kellogg and Sloan and am having a really tough time deciding between the two.
My short term goal is to join a top tier strategy consulting firm.

The factors that matter to me are following
1. Brand (specially in India in the longer run)
2. Placement opportunities (specially in strategy consulting)
3. Friendly culture (during the two years at school)
4. Option to pursue dual degree in policy with HKS

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Mayank
Director
Director
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Kellogg vs. MIT-Sloan [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2014, 08:36
Are you able to go to the admit weekends?

Honestly, both are global brands with collaborative environments that will get you a strategic consulting job in all likelihood.

If you want to go with overall reputations, among the M7, Kellogg is known as having the "strongest interpersonal skills" school, and Sloan is viewed as the "technology" school (50% come from STEM background). Sloan will be a bit more quantitative and Kellogg a bit more soft-skills focus.

But, you'll find an assortment of all type of people at both schools, and there's no easy choice.
Director
Director
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2014, 09:36
mgh234 wrote:
Are you able to go to the admit weekends?

Honestly, both are global brands with collaborative environments that will get you a strategic consulting job in all likelihood.

If you want to go with overall reputations, among the M7, Kellogg is known as having the "strongest interpersonal skills" school, and Sloan is viewed as the "technology" school (50% come from STEM background). Sloan will be a bit more quantitative and Kellogg a bit more soft-skills focus.

But, you'll find an assortment of all type of people at both schools, and there's no easy choice.

I agree with this. Both are fantastic schools. I'd also consider how important a dual degree is at HKS to you; the logistics of getting both degrees would certainly be simpler if you choose to attend Sloan.
VP
VP
B
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2014, 14:25
1. Brand (specially in India in the longer run) - I think MIT pips Kellogg here. The alumni base for Sloan and Kellogg might be very similar, but the broader MIT university carries a LOT of weight. Having said that, I've interacted with quite a few consultants from Kellogg who have successfully transitioned back to India. In fact, a couple had very successful exits from MBBs after coming to India. To me, there isn't a huge gap between the two. It's just that the word 'MIT' carries the wow feeling within non-business/layman circles.
2. Placement opportunities (specially in strategy consulting) - Both will get you there. Kellogg is a consulting powerhouse (might be self selection).
3. Friendly culture (during the two years at school) - Kellogg's student body is very friendly and 'collaborative'. Also, I can't say this with certainty, but MIT's is less so.
4. Option to pursue dual degree in policy with HKS - As KF mentioned, I'd give a point to MIT here.

So, you probably knew this, but it's more or less a choice between MIT's slight prestige advantage and Kellogg's culture/student body. If I were you, I'd make sure that I'm happy for two years and therefore, my vote goes to Kellogg.

P.S - I haven't factored HKS here. Are you still exploring the option or pretty set on doing the dual degree?
Director
Director
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2014, 16:08
jumsumtak wrote:
1. Brand (specially in India in the longer run) - I think MIT pips Kellogg here. The alumni base for Sloan and Kellogg might be very similar, but the broader MIT university carries a LOT of weight. Having said that, I've interacted with quite a few consultants from Kellogg who have successfully transitioned back to India. In fact, a couple had very successful exits from MBBs after coming to India. To me, there isn't a huge gap between the two. It's just that the word 'MIT' carries the wow feeling within non-business/layman circles.
2. Placement opportunities (specially in strategy consulting) - Both will get you there. Kellogg is a consulting powerhouse (might be self selection).
3. Friendly culture (during the two years at school) - Kellogg's student body is very friendly and 'collaborative'. Also, I can't say this with certainty, but MIT's is less so.
4. Option to pursue dual degree in policy with HKS - As KF mentioned, I'd give a point to MIT here.

So, you probably knew this, but it's more or less a choice between MIT's slight prestige advantage and Kellogg's culture/student body. If I were you, I'd make sure that I'm happy for two years and therefore, my vote goes to Kellogg.

P.S - I haven't factored HKS here. Are you still exploring the option or pretty set on doing the dual degree?

On points #3: My friend goes to Sloan, and I've met quite a few people from there...I wouldn't say that its not collaborative, it's just that it's a bit - for lack of a better word - geeky in its collaboration (43% of people were engineering majors in college, 8% were math, and many follow the stereotypes within those majors). A lot of cliche tech guys who want to create tech start ups or work at trendy tech giants. It's a certain type of personality, but people seem collaborative within that framework (as opposed to the finance schools like Wharton/Columbia where everyone is competing against one another) and everyone is friendly.
Director
Director
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2014, 19:51
Yeah, Sloan definitely has a unique culture. Sloanies are very collaborative, but probably not in the same way that Kellogg students are collaborative (just as I would imagine Kellogg students aren't collaborative in the same way that Tuck students are collaborative). While I wouldn't say students are geeky, it definitely feels like lots of folks come from STEM backgrounds. Also, it is completely true that tons of people are interested in entrepreneurship and tech here, but there's a lot of interest in consulting and operations, too.
VP
VP
B
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2014, 03:14
kingfalcon wrote:
Yeah, Sloan definitely has a unique culture. Sloanies are very collaborative, but probably not in the same way that Kellogg students are collaborative (just as I would imagine Kellogg students aren't collaborative in the same way that Tuck students are collaborative). While I wouldn't say students are geeky, it definitely feels like lots of folks come from STEM backgrounds. Also, it is completely true that tons of people are interested in entrepreneurship and tech here, but there's a lot of interest in consulting and operations, too.

I probably used the incorrect word there. MIT could be as 'collaborative'. I meant, as mgh and kf suggested, there is quite a difference between the two schools' culture. From my visit and talking to various students/alums, Kellogg looked like a more 'fun' school. Obviously, this is subjective and difficult to put into words.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2017, 10:38
I'd go with Kellogg. They're both great schools (both m7), but Kellogg is typically considered a superior business school and I think it'll present better opportunities in the long run. Kellogg tends to build leaders, and I've found MIT (both the coursework and the students) to be a bit more focused on skills). I think Kellogg offers really unique experiential learning and challenging courses
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2017, 18:01
ekc978675 wrote:
I'd go with Kellogg. They're both great schools (both m7), but Kellogg is typically considered a superior business school and I think it'll present better opportunities in the long run. Kellogg tends to build leaders, and I've found MIT (both the coursework and the students) to be a bit more focused on skills). I think Kellogg offers really unique experiential learning and challenging courses

reviving a 3 year old thread to pitch kellogg hmm
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2017, 11:27
Great options here. i would go with Kellogg, AMAZING culture topflight consulting recruiting and also the HKS option is available for you. But make sure you attend both admit weekends and make the decision on personal fit with your classmates, these schools are neck and neck otherwise

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Kellogg vs. MIT-Sloan   [#permalink] 07 May 2017, 11:27

Kellogg vs. MIT-Sloan

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Wilch, jessepinkman, teleste

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap