It is currently 20 Apr 2018, 19:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kindly help ! With a score of 710 and no admits in hand

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
Kindly help ! With a score of 710 and no admits in hand [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2018, 02:37
Hi guys , I have given the GMAT in september 2017 & scored 710 . I have a work ex of 4 years in the project management vertical of the energy industry.I have applied at ISB , India & Rotman ( Canada) . I am currently waitlisted at ISB & i dnt think it wud get converted. Currently am in a fix about my way head. I am confused between taking the GMAT again or improving my profile. I have looked into courses online to improve my profile but could not find any good ones. Post MBA i would look into operational or general management roles. So , if u believe I need not take the GMAT and focus on improving my profile , what are the courses I am supposed to take ?

Experts & Friends , Kindly help.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Re: Kindly help ! With a score of 710 and no admits in hand [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2018, 04:56
abhinav2892 wrote:
Hi guys , I have given the GMAT in september 2017 & scored 710 . I have a work ex of 4 years in the project management vertical of the energy industry.I have applied at ISB , India & Rotman ( Canada) . I am currently waitlisted at ISB & i dnt think it wud get converted. Currently am in a fix about my way head. I am confused between taking the GMAT again or improving my profile. I have looked into courses online to improve my profile but could not find any good ones. Post MBA i would look into operational or general management roles. So , if u believe I need not take the GMAT and focus on improving my profile , what are the courses I am supposed to take ?

Hi Abhinav,

I'm so sorry to hear that. 710 is a good GMAT score and in my opinion retaking is counterproductive from now on. Having said that the 2 schools you've applied to emphasize a lot of GMAT/ academic merit. So if you wish to reapply then yes you will need to improve your profile by improving GMAT score. Other avenues of improving your profile are pursuing MOOCs in operations, certifications in operations, job promotions, international assignments, extra curriculars and so on. However, there are other good schools in Canada which you can focus on for next year. Let me know if you want to discuss those options.

Best,

Deep A.
Chief Counselling Officer
http://www.EduSimplified.com

Admission Consultant
S
Affiliations: IvyLeagueEdge
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
WE: Operations (Other)

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2018, 07:07
abhinav2892 wrote:

Hi Abhinav2892,
1) Am on the mobile, but happuy to take a detailed look and advise you of a profile evaluation. PM me your resume you used, your career goals and set up for a free profile evaluation.
2) 710 is ok, but definitely far from killer. We can talk about what could be better

APPLYING for 2019 intake? Save 20%. Connect for 2018 prices

For a DETAILED & FREE profile evaluation PM your resume.

Out of India? Use your Google/Skype account for free VOIP

"+1 Kudos" to appreciate :-)

The Ivy League Edge (MBA - Yale SOM)
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/balkrishna/
Top20.GradSchools(at)gmail(dot)com +91-987-356-3953

Coaching success for admissions and scholarships to the World's best - MBA and MS
We take PERSONAL interest in your success.

Intern
Intern
Affiliations: INSEAD | BerkeleyHaas | Stanford
Kindly help ! With a score of 710 and no admits in hand [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2018, 20:02
Hey Abhinav,

A 710 score gets you solidly in the door, it doesn't say "this guy crushed the exam." But you don't need to crush the GMAT to get into a top school. The overall strategy and strength of your profile will be much more important.

You mentioned looking for a course and that you hadn't found anything good. We just launched an online course this week that we built over the last 6 months and tested iteratively with McKinsey consultants, people from Private Equity backgrounds and even startup managers. The course got near perfect 9/10 and 10/10 reviews and helps resolve questions like: "What are my application weaknesses and how do I strengthen them? What sort of work and leadership experiences are schools looking for? What do I do if I don't have a stellar GMAT or GPA? How do I structure powerful essays? Which stories should I be focused on telling? What are Admissions counselors looking for? How do I differentiate myself versus other candidates? How can I demonstrate confidence that I'll get hired after graduating?

Anyway, the course sells itself, so I'm not going to do it here. If you think it will be helpful PM me and I can hook you up.

Samir M. Aziz
3x C-Level/Founder | INSEAD MBA | Coach@MBASuper | USA/Germany/Bangladesh Triple Citizen

Expert Post
Experts' Global Representative
S

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2018, 04:49
abhinav2892 wrote:

Hi abhinav2892,

Frankly speaking, 710 is alright for the schools in question. It hovers around the average score. However, that is not to say that you should not retake. A retake will surely boost your chances and if you feel you could spare the time to prepare one more time, we would say go ahead and take the test once more.

In terms of profile improvement, you could look at gaining more leadership experience, some international exposure, and of course achievements at work. With regard to certifications, try looking out for some which are closely related to your goals.

Do let us know if you wish to have a detailed word regarding your case and we will be happy to help. We could also use this time to reassess your career goals.

All the best!

Akanksha Baldawa
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Prep | 15 GMAT Practice Tests
MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2018, 18:06
Are you an Indian applicant? Your score on its face is fine but admissions is more than just a solid score. For your demographic your score may not be sufficient, but I would not be surprised if that was not the main issue. A big part of the assessment falls on your resume, essays, and alignment with your career goals and the school's programming. So you will need to do a top down assessment of your submitted application package and see if there may have been opportunities to improve your application.

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Kindly help ! With a score of 710 and no admits in hand   [#permalink] 28 Mar 2018, 18:06

Kindly help ! With a score of 710 and no admits in hand

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Hatakekakashi

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap