GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 01 Apr 2020, 03:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Lamp A flashes every 6 seconds, lamp B flashes every 8 seconds, lamp

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Lamp A flashes every 6 seconds, lamp B flashes every 8 seconds, lamp  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2016, 12:46
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

53% (02:51) correct 47% (02:36) wrong based on 107 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Lamp A flashes every 6 seconds, Lamp B flashes every 8 seconds, Lamp C flashes every 10 seconds. At a certain instant of time all three lamps flash simultaneously. During the period of 2 minutes after that how many times will exactly two lamps flash?

A) 5

B) 6

C) 9

D) 12

E) 15

I've found different answer than an official one. What do you think, guys? What would be your answer?
Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 3.2
WE: Sales (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Re: Lamp A flashes every 6 seconds, lamp B flashes every 8 seconds, lamp  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2016, 18:41
lamp A flashes every 6 secs,
b flashes every 8 secs,
c flashes every 10 secs.
At certain time three flashes simultaneously.
after that calculate when the three lamps flashes simultaneously in 2 minutes.

take a L.C.M of three 6,8,10 sec then it is 120 secs.

so exactly after 2 minutes it flashes simultaneoulsy.

question stem asks exactly two lamps falshes .

take lcm of a and b .6 and 8 is 24 secs. so two lamp flashes 5times in 2minutes.

lcm of b and c . 8 and 10 secs is 40 secs. so both flashes 3times in 2minutes.
lcm of c and a ,6 and 10 secs is 30 secs . pair flashes 4times..

all three pairs flashes simultaenoulsy at 2 minutes. we have to minus one from all three pairs.

then 12-3=9.
so option C is correct.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
V
Re: Lamp A flashes every 6 seconds, lamp B flashes every 8 seconds, lamp  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2016, 20:55
TeymurHajiyev wrote:
Lamp A flashes every 6 seconds, Lamp B flashes every 8 seconds, Lamp C flashes every 10 seconds. At a certain instant of time all three lamps flash simultaneously. During the period of 2 minutes after that how many times will exactly two lamps flash?

A) 5

B) 6

C) 9

D) 12

E) 15

I've found different answer than an official one. What do you think, guys? What would be your answer?

You can easily enumerate this since 120 secs is a small time frame.

Exactly two lamps can flash in three ways:

Lamps A and B but not C: LCM of 6 and 8 is 24. It shouldn't be divisible by 10
24, 48, 72, 96, 120 (ignore - divisible by 10)

Lamps B and C but not A: LCM of 8 and 10 is 40. It shouldn't be divisible by 6
40, 80, 120 (ignore - divisible by 6)

Lamps A and C but not B: LCM of 6 and 10 is 30. It shouldn't be divisible by 8
30, 60, 90, 120 (ignore - divisible by 8)

There are total 9 cases.

Answer (C)

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2016, 21:03
TeymurHajiyev wrote:

A) 5

B) 6

C) 9

D) 12

E) 15

Hi TeymurHajiyev,

Since you mentioned coming across at least one DIFFERENT answer, what was THAT answer? Did it include an explanation?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2016, 21:59
TeymurHajiyev wrote:

A) 5

B) 6

C) 9

D) 12

E) 15

Hi,
since 120 secs is too small a time, one can work out each time two lights are on...
lets see the way/procedure incase the time frame is much more..

we will solve this Q by that procedure..
we have three different time at which the bulbs are on.. 6,8,10..
the solution is based on LCM concept..

1) we will get the entire time in same units, that is minutes..

2) take LCM of all three, this along with its multiples till the total time, will be the time all three will be on simulatenously..

to find how many times all three are on simultaneously, divide the TOTAL TIME by LCM, the INTEGER value will give us the number, say A..

3) Next would be to take LCM of each pair of time and divide total time by each of these three LCMs. Again the integer value will give us the time two blink together..

4) Since we are asked exactly 2 of them blink together, we subtract A, all three blinking together, from each of the three answers we get from (3) above.

5) Add all three new values and we have the answer....

lets use this in this Q..

1) total time=120 secs..
2) LCM of 6,8,10=120.. times=120/120=1... so all three will switch on together only once , A=1..
3) three pairs..
    6,8.. LCM=24...times=120/24=5
    6,10.. LCM=30..times=120/30=4
    8,10.. LCM=40..times=120/40=3
4) three sets of two blinking together
    5-1=4
    4-1=3
    3-1=2
5) total times= 4+3+2=9

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2016, 00:58
Thank you guys: Psiva00734, VeritasPrepKarishma and chetan2u, now it's much clearer for me.

Dear Rich, I had answer 5, which was based on wrong LCM of 20, 15 and 12 (60 times). I messed up with "seconds" and "times", but now I feel better ;-)
Manager
Manager
P
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GPA: 3.9
WE: Education (Accounting)
CAT Tests
Lamp A flashes every 6 seconds, lamp B flashes every 8 seconds, lamp  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2020, 19:22
TeymurHajiyev wrote:

A) 5

B) 6

C) 9

D) 12

E) 15

This 3 lamps will flash simultaneously flash every 2 minutes. Lamp A and B will flash together at every 24 seconds, Lamp B and C will flash together at every 40 seconds, and Lamp A and C will do at every 30 seconds. So, total number of times during the period of 2 minutes when 2 lamps will flash together is (120/24) + (120/30)+(120/40) - 3 (at 120 second 3 lamps will flash simultaneously, as this is counted in each of the 3 cases, we have to deduct it) = 5 + 4 +3 - 3= 9.
VP
VP
V

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2020, 20:39
TeymurHajiyev wrote:

A) 5

B) 6

C) 9

D) 12

E) 15

What is the source of this question? It does not seem like a GMAT official question.

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me"
Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2020, 05:20
TeymurHajiyev wrote:

A) 5

B) 6

C) 9

D) 12

E) 15

Since the LCM of 6, 8, and 10 is 120, the lamps will flash at the same time every 120 seconds, or every 2 minutes. Furthermore, the LCM of 6 and 8 is 24, that of 8 and 10 is 40, and that of 6 and 10 is 30. Therefore, lamps A and B will flash every 24 seconds, B and C every 40 seconds, and A and C every 30 seconds.

In the 120-second, or 2-minute, period, A and B will flash 5 times, at 24, 48, 72, 96, and 120 seconds; B and C will flash 3 times, at 40, 80, and 120 seconds; and A and C will flash 4 times, at 30, 60, 90, and 120 seconds.

Thus, in the 2-minute period, two lamps will flash 5 + 3 + 4 = 12 times, but we cannot count the flashing of all three lights at 120 seconds, as this does not satisfy the event “EXACTLY TWO lamps flash.” Since this event was counted 3 times, our final answer must be 12 - 3 = 9.

Answer: C

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
197 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Lamp A flashes every 6 seconds, lamp B flashes every 8 seconds, lamp   [#permalink] 09 Feb 2020, 05:20

Lamp A flashes every 6 seconds, lamp B flashes every 8 seconds, lamp

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics