Last visit was: 23 Jul 2024, 09:58 It is currently 23 Jul 2024, 09:58
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Level,   Bold Face CR,               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 643282 [48]
Given Kudos: 86728
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4603 [3]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 54
GPA: 3.66
WE:Marketing (Real Estate)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [0]
Given Kudos: 211
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Re: Last year a record number of new manufacturing jobs were created. Will [#permalink]
How did we get the OG 19 questions so quickly?
And a suggestion ,can we keep the OA answer posted quickly than 7 days.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5694 [3]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Re: Last year a record number of new manufacturing jobs were created. Will [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Last year a record number of new manufacturing jobs were created. --- Fact
Well, any new manufacturing job is created either within an existing company or by the start-up of a new company. --- Fact
1. Within existing firms, new jobs have been created this year at well below last year's record pace. ---- Fact
At the same time, there is considerable evidence that the number of new companies starting up will be no higher this year than it was last year --- Fact
2. and there is no reason to think that the new companies starting up this year will create more jobs per company than did last year's start-ups. ---- Proposal/prediction
So clearly, the number of new jobs created this year will fall short of last year's record. ---- main Conclusion

Combination of two BF:
Both BF are pointing towards the Only conclusion in the stem.

A,B will be removed straight. 1st BF is wrong.

A. The first is a claim that the argument challenges; the second is an explicit assumption on which that challenge is based.

B. The first is a claim that the argument challenges; the second is a judgment advanced in support of the main conclusion of the argument.

C. The first provides evidence in support of the main conclusion of the argument; the second is an objection that has been raised against that main conclusion. ---- 2nd BF is not correct.

D. The first provides evidence in support of the main conclusion of the argument; the second is a judgment advanced in support of that main conclusion. --- On the line of pre-thinking.

E. The first and the second are each claims that have been advanced in support of a position that the argument opposes. --- no oppose/contradiction. bad choice.

D is clear winner.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5694 [1]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Kudos
AnkitOrYadav wrote:
How did we get the OG 19 questions so quickly?
And a suggestion ,can we keep the OA answer posted quickly than 7 days.

Why so hurry Man? lets have a discussion. That will bring new wisdom/learning.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 617 [0]
Given Kudos: 1350
Send PM
Fact: Last year a record number of new manufacturing jobs were created.
Question: Will this year bring another record?

Fact: Well, any new manufacturing job is created either within an existing company or by the start-up of a new company.

Fact/Evidence: Within existing firms, new jobs have been created this year at well below last year's record pace.

Fact/Judgement: At the same time, there is considerable evidence that the number of new companies starting up will be no higher this year than it was last year and there is no reason to think that the new companies starting up this year will create more jobs per company than did last year's start-ups.

Conclusion: So clearly, the number of new jobs created this year will fall short of last year's record.

IMO D
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14761 [3]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Last year a record number of new manufacturing jobs were created. Will this year bring another record? Well, any new manufacturing job is created either within an existing company or by the start-up of a new company. Within existing firms, new jobs have been created this year at well below last year’s record pace. At the same time, there is considerable evidence that the number of new companies starting up will be no higher this year than it was last year and there is no reason to think that the new companies starting up this year will create more jobs per company than did last year’s start-ups. So clearly, the number of new jobs created this year will fall short of last year’s record.

In the argument given, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

A. The first is a claim that the argument challenges; the second is an explicit assumption on which that challenge is based.
B. The first is a claim that the argument challenges; the second is a judgment advanced in support of the main conclusion of the argument.
C. The first provides evidence in support of the main conclusion of the argument; the second is an objection that has been raised against that main conclusion.
D. The first provides evidence in support of the main conclusion of the argument; the second is a judgment advanced in support of that main conclusion.
E. The first and the second are each claims that have been advanced in support of a position that the argument opposes.

BID (Boil It Down): Existing Co: New jobs down; Start Ups: Fewer, not hiring more/co -> New jobs down this year

The Goal: We need to identify the purpose of each statement, and the relationship between the two.

Statement 1: Proof that one of the two ways to create jobs will fall short, which in turn provides proof for the conclusion that the number of new jobs created this year will fall short of last year’s record.

Statement 2: Ruling out a possibility that could undermine the conclusion (in turn strengthening the conclusion that the number of new jobs created this year will fall short of last year’s record.

The relationship between the two: Both are put forth as proof in favor of the conclusion of the argument.

Formal Recap of Argument:
Conclusion: The number of new jobs created this year will be less than the number of new jobs created last year.
Evidence: There are two ways to create new jobs: Existing firms create them or new firms create them. Existing firms have not been creating nearly as many jobs as they did last year, and the number of new firms being created is no more than last year. Furthermore, there is no reason to suppose that the new firms that are being started this year will create more jobs per company than did last year’s new firms.

So now, let’s start with how the options address the first statement. It supports the argument. See any options that say otherwise? A, B and E (E states that both bold statements are opposed by the argument. Dump them.

So now we’re down to C and D. The first half of options C and D are identical. So let’s recap what the second bolded statement is doing: providing more proof in support of the conclusion (by ruling out a way that more jobs could be created even if the number of start-ups is about the same as last year).

C says that the second statement is raised to CHALLENGE the conclusion. That’s a 180! Dump it too.

D nails it. The first provides evidence in support of the main conclusion of the argument (one of the two sources of job growth (existing companies) won’t produce the same volume of jobs this year; and the second is a judgment (there is no reason to think that the new companies starting up this year will create more jobs per company than did last year’s start-ups) advanced in support of that main conclusion by ruling out a way a similar volume of start-ups this year to last could create even more jobs.

The Bigger Picture

Even though bolded statement questions spook many of your competing test-takers, by even understanding which side each bolded statement supports can enable you to slash through incorrect options for a big payout.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
what does this sentence means "the second is a judgment advanced in support of that main conclusion" ?

I'm a non native english speaker, so kindly please help me understand this.

thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [0]
Given Kudos: 174
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
WE:Brand Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Last year a record number of new manufacturing jobs were created. Will [#permalink]
Skn1608 wrote:
what does this sentence means "the second is a judgment advanced in support of that main conclusion" ?

I'm a non native english speaker, so kindly please help me understand this.

thanks

I'm a non native English speaker, too :lol: but I think that we call the second a judgement because it's a subjective idea (an idea that can be debated, unlike a fact that cannot), and that the word "advanced" here might mean something like "developed", "brought to a deeper/higher level".
The second is a judgement developed based on the fact in the first clause of the sentence "At the same time, there is considerable evidence that the number of new companies starting up will be no higher this year than it was last year".
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 623
Send PM
I am a bit confused on the difference (if there is any) between providing support for the main conclusion vs. making a judgement advanced in support of that main conclusion. Is it because the first bolded statement is more factual (telling us just what is happening), and the second is expressed more so as an opinion using the wording "there is no reason to think"?

Would this made-up answer choice be incorrect: "the first provides evidence in support of the main conclusion of the argument; the second provides evidence in support of the main conclusion of the argument"? Doesn't the second statement still technically provide support?

I realize that this might be nitpicky, but I am trying to pick up on the subtle differences in wording. Thank you in advance
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 64573 [1]
Given Kudos: 1823
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
woohoo921 wrote:
I am a bit confused on the difference (if there is any) between providing support for the main conclusion vs. making a judgement advanced in support of that main conclusion. Is it because the first bolded statement is more factual (telling us just what is happening), and the second is expressed more so as an opinion using the wording "there is no reason to think"?

Would this made-up answer choice be incorrect: "the first provides evidence in support of the main conclusion of the argument; the second provides evidence in support of the main conclusion of the argument"? Doesn't the second statement still technically provide support?

I realize that this might be nitpicky, but I am trying to pick up on the subtle differences in wording. Thank you in advance

You're on the right track -- the first boldface states a fact, while the second is more opinion-y. Both are there to provide support for the conclusion. And while it's almost always not worth your time to make up your own answer choices, I think the one that you wrote would indeed capture the role of the two pieces.

More importantly, if you use process of elimination, (D) is the only possible contender, even if the language is a bit tricky.

I hope that helps!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 869 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6991 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts
CR Forum Moderator
824 posts