Last visit was: 27 Jul 2024, 02:10 It is currently 27 Jul 2024, 02:10
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 644246 [22]
Given Kudos: 86771
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1876 [3]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1088 [1]
Given Kudos: 1091
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Last year Ranger Airways' annual report showed an increase in the numb [#permalink]
Last year Ranger Airways' annual report showed an increase in the number of revenue passenger miles (the total for all flights of the number of miles in each flight times the number of paying passengers in that flight). There were, however, declines in both the load factor-the percentage of available seats occupied- and the number of flights.

if you see the paradox statement it does state that load factor is a percentage of anything, so how an avg increase in the length of flight will have any bearing on seats occupied.
PM Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
Send PM
Last year Ranger Airways' annual report showed an increase in the numb [#permalink]
Revenue passenger mile= sum for all flights (number of miles * number of passengers)
E deals with passenger fare, and therefore does not resolve the paradox!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 129
Send PM
Re: Last year Ranger Airways' annual report showed an increase in the numb [#permalink]
OA:B

Look for the factors that attacks the fact : increase in the number of revenue passenger miles -
(no. of miles * no. of passengers).

Look out for options that can directly be proportional to the expression.Only B satisfies.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 857 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
1. total miles increased = number of flights miles* number of passengers
2. Decreased= % passengers seats and number of flights

If 2 is decreased, then how we can prove 1 is still increased?
Either
increase number of miles = same flights but cover more distance --option B
OR
number of passengers increased ( maybe capacity increased ; so % seems less but actually total nymber of passengers increase)-opposite of option A

A. The average passenger capacity of airplanes decreased.
opposite; if capacity was increased then the option could have been relevant

B. The average length of flights increased.
it explains why total miles are increased

C. There was an increase in the number of delays in both departures and arrivals.
irrelevant

D. There was an increase in the number of nonpaying passengers.- irrelevant

E. Many of the passenger fares became more expensive. -
how to explain increase in total miles. If anything, it doesn;t weakens the statement1

hence B is the suitable answer
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Here is my reasoning for this question. This took me a while. I managed to eliminate all 4 incorrect choices but still have a hard time convincing myself that B is the right answer. Any help please? GMATNinja MartyTargetTestPrep VeritasKarishma
Last year Ranger Airways' annual report showed an increase in the number of revenue passenger miles (the total for all flights of the number of miles in each flight times the number of paying passengers in that flight). There were, however, declines in both the load factor-the percentage of available seats occupied- and the number of flights.

Which of the following, if true about Ranger Airways in the year reported on, would help most to resolve the apparent paradox between the increase in revenue passenger miles and the decreases in both load factor and number of flights?

A. The average passenger capacity of airplanes decreased. This doesn't help to explain the paradox. The stem already mentions this explicitly.
B. The average length of flights increased. This is the correct answer. I understand that this would help explain the increase in RPM, but don't see how it would help explain the decrease in LF and # of flight. Please help!!!
C. There was an increase in the number of delays in both departures and arrivals. delays in flights are not part of the equations listed above.
D. There was an increase in the number of nonpaying passengers. we are only concerned with paying passengers as mentioned in the paragraph above.
E. Many of the passenger fares became more expensive. $ of airfares are not part of the equations in the paragraph above, so it does nothing to help solve the paradox.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 66913 [4]
Given Kudos: 436
Send PM
Kudos