It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 11:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Last year the range of the annual salaries of the 100 employees

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2016
Posts: 7

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 11

Location: United Arab Emirates
GPA: 2.97
WE: Operations (Other)
Last year the range of the annual salaries of the 100 employees [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2016, 10:49
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

77% (00:23) correct 23% (00:34) wrong based on 117 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Last year the range of the annual salaries of the 100 employees at Company X was $30,000. If the annual salary of each of the 100 employees this year is 10 percent greater than it was last year, what is the range of the annual salaries of the 100 employees this year?

(A) $27,000
(B) $30,000
(C) $33,000
(D) $36,000
(E) $63,000
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 11

2 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: Aiming MBA
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 2497

Kudos [?]: 784 [2], given: 64

Location: India
Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Last year the range of the annual salaries of the 100 employees [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2016, 10:57
2
This post received
KUDOS
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
asmitap wrote:
Last year the range of the annual salaries of the 100 employees at Company X was $30,000. If the annual salary of each of the 100 employees this year is 10 percent greater than it was last year, what is the range of the annual salaries of the 100 employees this year?

(A) $27,000
(B) $30,000
(C) $33,000
(D) $36,000
(E) $63,000


let the lowest salary be x.

Therefore, highest salary is x +30000.

Now salary of each employee is increased by 10%.

Therefore the salaries will remain arranged in the same order as before.

or Lowest salary = 1.1x and Highest = 1.1 * (x+30000)

or Range = highest - lowest = 1.1 * (x+30000) - 1.1x

= 33000, Hence, C
_________________

V21 ---> V40!

Kudos [?]: 784 [2], given: 64

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
B
Status: DONE!
Joined: 05 Sep 2016
Posts: 408

Kudos [?]: 23 [2], given: 283

Re: Last year the range of the annual salaries of the 100 employees [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2016, 09:25
2
This post received
KUDOS
Plug in numbers...

Say on the lowest side we have $10,000 & the highest, $40,000

$10,000 x .10 = $1,000 --> New low side = $11,000
$40,000 x .10 = $4,000 --> New high side = $44,000

New range --> $44,000-$11,000 = $33,000

Thus, C is correct

Kudos [?]: 23 [2], given: 283

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 30 Jun 2017
Posts: 18

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 80

Location: India
Concentration: Technology, General Management
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Last year the range of the annual salaries of the 100 employees [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2017, 06:11
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
abhimahna wrote:
asmitap wrote:
Last year the range of the annual salaries of the 100 employees at Company X was $30,000. If the annual salary of each of the 100 employees this year is 10 percent greater than it was last year, what is the range of the annual salaries of the 100 employees this year?

(A) $27,000
(B) $30,000
(C) $33,000
(D) $36,000
(E) $63,000


let the lowest salary be x.

Therefore, highest salary is x +30000.

Now salary of each employee is increased by 10%.

Therefore the salaries will remain arranged in the same order as before.

or Lowest salary = 1.1x and Highest = 1.1 * (x+30000)

or Range = highest - lowest = 1.1 * (x+30000) - 1.1x

= 33000, Hence, C


The range of their earlier salaries was 30,000 and now each of their salaries have increased by a constant 10%, so the range will also increase by a constant 10%. Am i going right?

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 80

BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: Aiming MBA
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 2497

Kudos [?]: 784 [0], given: 64

Location: India
Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Last year the range of the annual salaries of the 100 employees [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2017, 06:38
SinhaS wrote:
The range of their earlier salaries was 30,000 and now each of their salaries have increased by a constant 10%, so the range will also increase by a constant 10%. Am i going right?

Hi SinhaS ,

Yes, that's 100% correct.
_________________

V21 ---> V40!

Kudos [?]: 784 [0], given: 64

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 30 Jun 2017
Posts: 18

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 80

Location: India
Concentration: Technology, General Management
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Last year the range of the annual salaries of the 100 employees [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2017, 07:00
abhimahna wrote:
SinhaS wrote:
The range of their earlier salaries was 30,000 and now each of their salaries have increased by a constant 10%, so the range will also increase by a constant 10%. Am i going right?

Hi SinhaS ,

Yes, that's 100% correct.



Thanks a lot for the clarification!

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 80

Re: Last year the range of the annual salaries of the 100 employees   [#permalink] 06 Sep 2017, 07:00
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Last year the range of the annual salaries of the 100 employees

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.