Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 16:43 It is currently 05 May 2024, 16:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [3]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools: IIMA
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Finance Professionals doing an MBA [#permalink]
Finance Professionals - Doing an MBA

The highest number of applications applying for an MBA program is from the finance or technology industry.
Let's look at the class percentage of students from the Finance Industry in top schools (includes people from Financial services and VC/PE)

HBS - 28%
Stanford - 26%
Wharton - 23%
Chicago Booth - 29%
MIT - 17%
Columbia - 29%
HAAS Berkeley - 20%
Kellogg - 19%
Yale - 19.8%
Judge Cambridge - 20%

I have had numerous discussions with pre and post MBA grads who had CA / CFA or Finance analyst background. Most of the discussions have been around these questions.

1. How do you know whether you really want to do an MBA? - Especially after CA most of them focus on Internal Audits or focus on statutory compliances. It gets boring for some. It could be the same for people who work as software engineers - who do not want to code after a few years.

2. What kind of roles do you get post MBA? - You could work as an Equity Research Analyst (leverage your background) or even Consulting. Some students make sure they take different electives during their MBA program. This gives them an opportunity to explore a lot of roles that they couldn't have thought of without an MBA.

3. How easy or tough will be an MBA for a Finance professional? - I have heard this from many CAs that taking the GMAT or any other test is nothing compared to the rigor they need to clear the CA. Plus there are some courses which are finance-related courses such as management accounting and corporate finance where with a finance background you are rockstars!

Here is a great profile evaluation video for you to understand what are the key points you need to vary about while applying to top schools.

Hope this helps,
Shree
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 935
Send PM
Re: Learnings from the 365 profiles evaluated last year! [#permalink]
Is Age a deterrent for adcoms when selecting candidates ? I have 15 years IT experience and want to pursue one year full time mba from top schools in India/US/EU.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Learnings from the 365 profiles evaluated last year! [#permalink]
pkleo wrote:
Is Age a deterrent for adcoms when selecting candidates? I have 15 years of IT experience and want to pursue one year full time mba from top schools in India/US/EU.

Posted from my mobile device

Hello pkleo,

You would want to choose the schools wisely. If you look at most schools the average experience is 4-6 years. There are a few admits with higher experience, however, the number is low.
Depending on your profile and what you want out of an MBA - you would want to choose the right kind of school and also the right course.

Depending on which region you are looking at applying, there are some programs that do look at people who already are into middle management or senior leadership roles.

You might want to evaluate those schools. However, in every school, you will find a few students with high experience too. You could evaluate IMD, LBS - MIT senior leadership program, Nanyang Fellowship program, or HKUST-Kellogg program and in India - you have IIMs, ISB. These are full-time programs.

Hope this helps,

Regards,
Shree
GMAT Club Bot
Learnings from the 365 profiles evaluated last year! [#permalink]