Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:41 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 413 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT Date: 03-04-2014
GPA: 3.77
WE:Analyst (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Left the GMAT for 2 years [#permalink]
mikemcgarry wrote:
Abdul29 wrote:
I blew the GMAT two years ago and decided to give it another go today by taking a GMATPrep test without brushing up on anything. I scored 610 (Q35,V38), which is quite close to my goal score as I only want 650.

What should I focus on at the moment? Re-study the quant section and give it another go in 1 month or so? Do I ignore the verbal section?

Dear Abdul29,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, I am going to begin by quoting a Chinese philosopher: "In battle, the greatest misfortune is to underestimate your enemy." --Laozi. The same is very much true of the GMAT. Just because you have a "little" improvement to get from that 610 to 650, do NOT, do NOT assume that this will require just a little work. GMAT Prep is a reasonably good estimator, but many many people see a huge drop from their GMAT Prep average to what they get on test day. Do not naively assume that a 610 on GMAT Prep automatically translates to a 610 on the GMAT. Do not be casual about this in any way. Do not take any section for granted or assume you simply can ignore part of the test. The absolute worst approach you could take would be to underestimate the GMAT. Give this absolutely your best shot. Much much better to over-prepare and overshoot a little, than to have a second bomb on test day.

Here are some free GMAT Flashcards, for math & idioms. Much of that already will be familiar, but drill those cards until you know them all cold.

Also, see the Magoosh GMAT Diagnostic Test.

You should know all the Quant basics cold: the formulas, the procedures, etc. In addition, you probably should start to integrate more sophisticated ways of thinking. See:
How to do GMAT Math Faster
Number Sense for the GMAT

The MGMAT books are all excellent. It would be worthwhile reading through that whole set. If you buy any volume, it comes with a code that gives you access to their practice GMAT CATs, which are the next best thing to GMAT Prep. They are great for further test-taking practice.

Magoosh also has a thorough product. Here's a sample math lesson:
Multiples
Here's a sample SC question:
Having established a base
When you submit your answer, the next page will have a full video explanation. Each one of our 1000+ practice questions has its own VE: this kind of immediate feedback accelerates the learning process.

Even if you decide not to use Magoosh, keep checking out the articles on that free blog: there's a lot there that can help you. The important thing is that you take this very seriously. Push yourself to be as well prepared as you have ever been in your life. If you always put forward your best effort, you will have considerably fewer regrets in life.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Great response, it makes perfect sense. Thank you very much! I'll be sure to keep an eye on the blog. :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Abdul29,

A 610 is a strong initial CAT score (the average on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years), so you appear to be in a good position to hit your goal. Before we talk about how best to proceed from here, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your timeline and goals:

1) Have you taken this CAT before?
2) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)?
3) What study materials do you currently have?

4) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Thanks for your response.

1) No.
2) Yes.
3) I have the 2015 official guide as well as the MGMAT set of books.
4) Probably in 2 months, haven't decided yet.
5) I'm applying next year, for a PhD.
6) USC Marshall - IU Kelley - UC Leeds - UFL Warrington

Appreciate your help. :)
GMAT Club Bot