Last visit was: 25 Jul 2024, 09:01 It is currently 25 Jul 2024, 09:01
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8719 [13]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:CBS
 Q50  V37
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 184 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.59
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: Lenders and building managers in the southwestern section of [#permalink]
Kudos
i GO WITH C-clear and concise....btw Samatace are u from GMAC or from any other team that u can say with so much confidence that this is not a 700 level Q ? :-)
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: U.S. Navy
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GMAT 1: 600 Q41 V32
GPA: 3.33
WE:Underwriter (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
I got C at 49 seconds. Was that one really a 700 level question?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Must be C
"renewed rental market" corresponds well with "increased willingness of banks"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3325 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
Schools: University of Dhaka - Class of 2010
GPA: 3.63
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
"Because of" is used for possessive noun but it is not the case here. what is the reason to use it here?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [2]
Given Kudos: 24
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
C is the answer. "Because of" should be followed by a noun phrase.

Here "the renewed rental market in the area" and "the increased willingness of banks
to lend money" are the two noun phrases and are perfectly joined by conjunction "and".

Hope I made sense.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [0]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
noboru wrote:
Lenders and building managers in the southwestern section of the city
report that because of the rental market in the area being renewed, as well
as the willingness of the banks to lend money being increased
, apartment
buildings are being rehabilitated at a pace unseen for a decade.

A. of the rental market in the area being renewed, as well as the willingness of the
banks to lend money being increased
B. of the renewed rental market in the area, as well as the willingness of banks to
lend money increasing
C. of the renewed rental market in the area and the increased willingness of banks
to lend money
D. the rental market in the area renewed and the willingness of banks to lend
money increased, therefore
E. the rental market in the area was being renewed and banks were increasingly
willing to lend money, so

D. the rental market in the area renewed and the willingness of banks to lend
money increased, therefore
No need to use therefore. Because is there.
after because of something happened. you need "verb" there.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 401 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
GPA: 3.4
WE:General Management (Human Resources)
Lenders and building managers in the southwestern section of [#permalink]
Quote:
Lenders and building managers in the southwestern section of the city report that because of the rental market in the area being renewed, as well as the willingness of the banks to lend money being increased, apartment buildings are being rehabilitated at a pace unseen for a decade.

(A) of the rental market in the area being renewed, as well as the willingness of the banks to lend money being increased
(B) of the renewed rental market in the area, as well as the willingness of banks to lend money increasing
(C) of the renewed rental market in the area and the increased willingness of banks to lend money
(D) the rental market in the area renewed and the willingness of banks to lend money increased, therefore
(E) the rental market in the area was being renewed and banks were increasingly willing to lend money, so

Originally posted by Chemerical71 on 11 May 2017, 12:39.
Last edited by BillyZ on 11 May 2017, 18:28, edited 1 time in total.
Merged topic. Please search before posting.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: Lenders and building managers in the southwestern section of the city [#permalink]
I was thinking correct answer is c...good chance I could be wrong

Sent from my XT1575 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Send PM
Can someone plaese explain me the reasoning of the correct answers and wrong answers? I also want to know the usage of 'due to' and 'because of' on GMAT.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6987 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
Krishchamp wrote:
Can someone plaese explain me the reasoning of the correct answers and wrong answers? I also want to know the usage of 'due to' and 'because of' on GMAT.

Hello, Krishchamp. I would be happy to help you with this one. Speaking to the latter query, you will find everything you want to know about due to versus because of in this post by e-GMAT. In short, it can be useful to think of due to as saying caused by, but if you are more grammar-focused, you can look for due to to modify a noun and because of to modify a verb. Looking at this sentence, we can pare down the choices to the correct one without too much trouble.

noboru wrote:
Lenders and building managers in the southwestern section of the city report that because of the rental market in the area being renewed, as well as the willingness of the banks to lend money being increased, apartment buildings are being rehabilitated at a pace unseen for a decade.

A. of the rental market in the area being renewed, as well as the willingness of the banks to lend money being increased

Although it is not a consideration here, notice that due to would not work in place of because of: due to the rental market sounds fine, but, using our replacement trick, you can see that it makes no sense in the context--caused by the rental market in the area being renewed. The sentence is conveying that because of an action (some verb)...apartment buildings are being rehabbed. Although the three instances of being present an apparent parallel construct, they are unnecessary to express the vital meaning of the sentence, particularly the second part about the willingness of banks to lend money. If the willingness of banks to lend is increasing, then we would expect a form of increase to appear closer to the noun it modifies.

noboru wrote:
B. of the renewed rental market in the area, as well as the willingness of banks to lend money increasing

Although I like the placement of the adjective renewed ahead of the noun it modifies, I dislike the after-the-fact placement of increasing, which ruptures any attempt at parallelism and makes the sentence harder to follow.

noboru wrote:
C. of the renewed rental market in the area and the increased willingness of banks to lend money

Both issues are now fixed. The parallelism is maintained, and we even get a more concise version of as well as in the conjunction and. There is nothing to argue against in this one.

noboru wrote:
D. the rental market in the area renewed and the willingness of banks to lend money increased, therefore

There are a couple issues with this option. Without of, we need a verb to make the phrase about the renewed rental market make sense. As presented, the rental market... renewed personifies the market itself. Renewed what? We can say that the market is renewed to flip the switch on the verb renewed and turn it back into an adjective, but the usage of the rental market... renewed is incorrect. At the tail-end of the sentence, we also get an unnecessary transition in therefore. A because construct already provides the premise for a conclusion or statement that is going to follow, so adding therefore is superfluous. Compare the following:

1) Because I was hungry, I grabbed a bite to eat.

2) Because I was hungry, therefore I grabbed a bite to eat.

Nothing is gained by adding the transition in the second sentence. Finally, although I did not highlight it above, the placement of increased after lend is less clear than its placement above in (C). Altogether, this answer choice is a mess. Move on.

noboru wrote:
E. the rental market in the area was being renewed and banks were increasingly willing to lend money, so

Here, was being renewed is a less clear version of the earlier renewed rental market, an action compared to a description. Moreover, the conjunction in so presents the same problem that its cousin therefore had in the previous iteration of the sentence. Again, a because frame lays the groundwork for the conclusion or statement to follow (in the main clause), so neither a transition nor a conjunction is needed.

I hope that helps clarify any concerns you may have had on this question. Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 870 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6985 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts