It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 19:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Lenient MBA admission to undergrad alumni??

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Status: Burning mid-night oil....daily
Joined: 07 Nov 2008
Posts: 2400

Kudos [?]: 746 [0], given: 548

Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Reviews Badge
Lenient MBA admission to undergrad alumni?? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2008, 12:29
I graduated from NYU Stern with BS in Accounting in 2005 with GPA of 3.5

I've been working as a CPA for a big 4 accounting firm for past 3 years and I scored 770 on GMAT.

If I apply for NYU Stern MBA, do you think I will have easier time getting in compared to others because I am an alumni? (Forget my GPA and GMAT score when answering this question)
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 746 [0], given: 548

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2008
Posts: 348

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

Schools: Fuqua '11
Re: Lenient MBA admission to undergrad alumni?? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2008, 12:35
ninkorn wrote:
I graduated from NYU Stern with BS in Accounting in 2005 with GPA of 3.5

I've been working as a CPA for a big 4 accounting firm for past 3 years and I scored 770 on GMAT.

If I apply for NYU Stern MBA, do you think I will have easier time getting in compared to others because I am an alumni? (Forget my GPA and GMAT score when answering this question)


Sounds like you're in good shape - will you be able to get any of your old professors to write you a recommendation?

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 1632

Kudos [?]: 216 [0], given: 0

Location: Southern California
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Re: Lenient MBA admission to undergrad alumni?? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2008, 12:39
There's pros and cons to this, as with every situation:

Pros: You know the school and will not need to spend much time selling your "fit". You know what you are getting into.

Cons: You already have an undergraduate business degree from the same school. You will need to sell the value that an additional business degree is going to add to your career, as well as why you want to get it from the same school as your UG business degree.
_________________

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Kudos [?]: 216 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Sep 2007
Posts: 907

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 15

Schools: Kellogg '10
Re: Lenient MBA admission to undergrad alumni?? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2008, 12:43
Well, if it helps, I have a friend who went to Stern undergrad and is now there as an MBA student and I don't find him particularly intelligent (disclosure: I'm a Stern B.S. '04)
_________________

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 15

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Sep 2008
Posts: 165

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Lenient MBA admission to undergrad alumni?? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2008, 12:49
Yes I think schools do like to keep it in the family. Your stats are strong anyway.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Oct 2008
Posts: 214

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Schools: Georgetown '11
Re: Lenient MBA admission to undergrad alumni?? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2008, 13:07
I think there's definitely an advantage to going to a similar undergrad institution for some schools, I don't know enough about Stern to know what they do, but I've been told by people at Cornell and Tuck that they like people who went to the new england liberal arts schools because they're familiar with the small school rural campus feel and are more likely to fit since they've spent 4 years in a similar environment. I think it might depend on whether you're looking at a school that emphasises fit.

Regardless with a 3.5 GPA, 4 years of seemingly solid WE, a 770 GMAT....you'd have to do a lot wrong to not get into the school of your choice.

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Status: Burning mid-night oil....daily
Joined: 07 Nov 2008
Posts: 2400

Kudos [?]: 746 [0], given: 548

Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Reviews Badge
Re: Lenient MBA admission to undergrad alumni?? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2008, 13:12
bostonsparky wrote:
ninkorn wrote:
I graduated from NYU Stern with BS in Accounting in 2005 with GPA of 3.5

I've been working as a CPA for a big 4 accounting firm for past 3 years and I scored 770 on GMAT.

If I apply for NYU Stern MBA, do you think I will have easier time getting in compared to others because I am an alumni? (Forget my GPA and GMAT score when answering this question)


Sounds like you're in good shape - will you be able to get any of your old professors to write you a recommendation?


Doubtful,
NYU recycles professors better than Waste Management Inc....

Won't even find a way to contact them anymore....
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 746 [0], given: 548

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Status: Burning mid-night oil....daily
Joined: 07 Nov 2008
Posts: 2400

Kudos [?]: 746 [0], given: 548

Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Reviews Badge
Re: Lenient MBA admission to undergrad alumni?? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2008, 13:13
rca215 wrote:
Well, if it helps, I have a friend who went to Stern undergrad and is now there as an MBA student and I don't find him particularly intelligent (disclosure: I'm a Stern B.S. '04)



Does that mean he didn't have as stellar academic/test score compared to other applicants and he still got in?
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 746 [0], given: 548

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 1632

Kudos [?]: 216 [0], given: 0

Location: Southern California
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Re: Lenient MBA admission to undergrad alumni?? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2008, 13:14
ninkorn wrote:
rca215 wrote:
Well, if it helps, I have a friend who went to Stern undergrad and is now there as an MBA student and I don't find him particularly intelligent (disclosure: I'm a Stern B.S. '04)



Does that mean he didn't have as stellar academic/test score compared to other applicants and he still got in?


I really don't understand what you're so worried about. Your stats are well above the average for NYU Stern and you have solid work experience. Put together average to above-average essays and you will get in.

If I was in your shoes, I would be working hard on my Columbia/Chicago/Wharton/a couple other M7 school applications and put minimal time and effort into your NYU app.
_________________

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133


Last edited by agold on 24 Nov 2008, 13:17, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 216 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 16 May 2008
Posts: 885

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 29

Location: Earth
Schools: Cornell '11
Re: Lenient MBA admission to undergrad alumni?? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2008, 13:15
I would say youre a lock....but Im an idiot.
_________________

"George is getting upset!"

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 29

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Status: Burning mid-night oil....daily
Joined: 07 Nov 2008
Posts: 2400

Kudos [?]: 746 [0], given: 548

Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Reviews Badge
Re: Lenient MBA admission to undergrad alumni?? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2008, 13:18
Sleepy wrote:
I think there's definitely an advantage to going to a similar undergrad institution for some schools, I don't know enough about Stern to know what they do, but I've been told by people at Cornell and Tuck that they like people who went to the new england liberal arts schools because they're familiar with the small school rural campus feel and are more likely to fit since they've spent 4 years in a similar environment. I think it might depend on whether you're looking at a school that emphasises fit.

Regardless with a 3.5 GPA, 4 years of seemingly solid WE, a 770 GMAT....you'd have to do a lot wrong to not get into the school of your choice.


I am asking to ignore my stats because I am thinking:

1) My stats are in line or above avg to typical Stern MBA
2) i can use this as leverage and maybe get better financial aid package/scholarship etc etc

I work at Big 4. Unlike i banking, they don't care about MBAs as much. CPA certification is like the top of the totem pole in my profession.

I want to get MBA in strategy or entrepreneurship and do something other than accounting. But I don't want to break the bank either since I have no interest in i banking or consulting (two fields where I can get massive job offers to pay off my debt)
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 746 [0], given: 548

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 1632

Kudos [?]: 216 [0], given: 0

Location: Southern California
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Re: Lenient MBA admission to undergrad alumni?? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2008, 13:26
If you're looking for scholarship money, check out Cornell, Duke, and Darden.
_________________

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Kudos [?]: 216 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Status: Burning mid-night oil....daily
Joined: 07 Nov 2008
Posts: 2400

Kudos [?]: 746 [0], given: 548

Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Reviews Badge
Re: Lenient MBA admission to undergrad alumni?? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2008, 13:29
agold wrote:
If you're looking for scholarship money, check out Cornell, Duke, and Darden.


Thanks....

But when it comes to MBA and finding a job after graduation, NYU Stern ranks above Cornell, Duke, and Darden, no?
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 746 [0], given: 548

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 05 Aug 2007
Posts: 1499

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 22

Schools: NYU Stern '11
Re: Lenient MBA admission to undergrad alumni?? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2008, 13:31
Stats by themselves are meaningless, Stern is, as a business school, more selective than a lot of M7 schools (<15% accepted).
Put "minimal time and effort" into your NYU application at your own risk.

The fact that you went to Stern undergrad will not count for much. IMO, the Stern undergraduate exprerience is most likely completely different from that of the Stern MBA. So to talk about "fit" with Stern based on your undergraduate years there is going to be just a little bit ridiculous.

agold wrote:
I really don't understand what you're so worried about. Your stats are well above the average for NYU Stern and you have solid work experience. Put together average to above-average essays and you will get in.

If I was in your shoes, I would be working hard on my Columbia/Chicago/Wharton/a couple other M7 school applications and put minimal time and effort into your NYU app.

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 22

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Sep 2007
Posts: 907

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 15

Schools: Kellogg '10
Re: Lenient MBA admission to undergrad alumni?? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2008, 13:32
ninkorn wrote:
agold wrote:
If you're looking for scholarship money, check out Cornell, Duke, and Darden.


Thanks....

But when it comes to MBA and finding a job after graduation, NYU Stern ranks above Cornell, Duke, and Darden, no?


For banking certainly. Not sure about other fields. I imagine that Stern MBA recruiting is similar to how it was as an undergrad: 65% banking, 30% accounting, 5% everything else.
_________________

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 15

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Sep 2008
Posts: 165

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Lenient MBA admission to undergrad alumni?? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2008, 14:08
rca215 wrote:
ninkorn wrote:
agold wrote:
If you're looking for scholarship money, check out Cornell, Duke, and Darden.


Thanks....

But when it comes to MBA and finding a job after graduation, NYU Stern ranks above Cornell, Duke, and Darden, no?


For banking certainly. Not sure about other fields. I imagine that Stern MBA recruiting is similar to how it was as an undergrad: 65% banking, 30% accounting, 5% everything else.


Do 65% of Stern undergrads really go into banking? I did my summer internship in NY and didn't meet a significant number of Stern undergrad doing bulge bracket.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Status: Burning mid-night oil....daily
Joined: 07 Nov 2008
Posts: 2400

Kudos [?]: 746 [0], given: 548

Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Reviews Badge
Re: Lenient MBA admission to undergrad alumni?? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2008, 14:10
Do 65% of Stern undergrads really go into banking? I did my summer internship in NY and didn't meet a significant number of Stern undergrad doing bulge bracket.[/quote]


That sounds about right. Most popular major was Economics and they all went into banking. Even fellow accounting majors ended up doing banking.
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 746 [0], given: 548

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Sep 2007
Posts: 907

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 15

Schools: Kellogg '10
Re: Lenient MBA admission to undergrad alumni?? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2008, 14:15
ninkorn wrote:
Do 65% of Stern undergrads really go into banking? I did my summer internship in NY and didn't meet a significant number of Stern undergrad doing bulge bracket.



That sounds about right. Most popular major was Economics and they all went into banking. Even fellow accounting majors ended up doing banking.[/quote]

That was just a random guess on my part, but when I was there for undergrad finance was pretty much the only thing anyone cared about. It was frustrating.
_________________

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 15

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Status: Burning mid-night oil....daily
Joined: 07 Nov 2008
Posts: 2400

Kudos [?]: 746 [0], given: 548

Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Reviews Badge
Re: Lenient MBA admission to undergrad alumni?? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2008, 14:19
That was just a random guess on my part, but when I was there for undergrad finance was pretty much the only thing anyone cared about. It was frustrating.[/quote]


Well NYU is a money whore.....they charged us ridiculous tuition and gave us tiny fin aid. Most people graduate with huge debt. No wonder everyone wants to go into banking. They have no choice if they want to pay off their student debt....
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 746 [0], given: 548

Re: Lenient MBA admission to undergrad alumni??   [#permalink] 24 Nov 2008, 14:19
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Lenient MBA admission to undergrad alumni??

  new topic post reply Update application status  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.