Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 11:57 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 11:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Management Consulting, Social Enterprise, Environmental Sustainability, International Business
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Re: Lenient MBA admission to undergrad alumni?? [#permalink]
Well, if it helps, I have a friend who went to Stern undergrad and is now there as an MBA student and I don't find him particularly intelligent (disclosure: I'm a Stern B.S. '04)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Yes I think schools do like to keep it in the family. Your stats are strong anyway.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Schools:Georgetown '11
Send PM
I think there's definitely an advantage to going to a similar undergrad institution for some schools, I don't know enough about Stern to know what they do, but I've been told by people at Cornell and Tuck that they like people who went to the new england liberal arts schools because they're familiar with the small school rural campus feel and are more likely to fit since they've spent 4 years in a similar environment. I think it might depend on whether you're looking at a school that emphasises fit.

Regardless with a 3.5 GPA, 4 years of seemingly solid WE, a 770 GMAT....you'd have to do a lot wrong to not get into the school of your choice.
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
bostonsparky wrote:
ninkorn wrote:
I graduated from NYU Stern with BS in Accounting in 2005 with GPA of 3.5

I've been working as a CPA for a big 4 accounting firm for past 3 years and I scored 770 on GMAT.

If I apply for NYU Stern MBA, do you think I will have easier time getting in compared to others because I am an alumni? (Forget my GPA and GMAT score when answering this question)

Sounds like you're in good shape - will you be able to get any of your old professors to write you a recommendation?

Doubtful,
NYU recycles professors better than Waste Management Inc....

Won't even find a way to contact them anymore....
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
rca215 wrote:
Well, if it helps, I have a friend who went to Stern undergrad and is now there as an MBA student and I don't find him particularly intelligent (disclosure: I'm a Stern B.S. '04)

Does that mean he didn't have as stellar academic/test score compared to other applicants and he still got in?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
ninkorn wrote:
rca215 wrote:

Does that mean he didn't have as stellar academic/test score compared to other applicants and he still got in?

I really don't understand what you're so worried about. Your stats are well above the average for NYU Stern and you have solid work experience. Put together average to above-average essays and you will get in.

If I was in your shoes, I would be working hard on my Columbia/Chicago/Wharton/a couple other M7 school applications and put minimal time and effort into your NYU app.

Originally posted by agold on 24 Nov 2008, 13:14.
Last edited by agold on 24 Nov 2008, 13:17, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
I would say youre a lock....but Im an idiot.
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
Sleepy wrote:
I think there's definitely an advantage to going to a similar undergrad institution for some schools, I don't know enough about Stern to know what they do, but I've been told by people at Cornell and Tuck that they like people who went to the new england liberal arts schools because they're familiar with the small school rural campus feel and are more likely to fit since they've spent 4 years in a similar environment. I think it might depend on whether you're looking at a school that emphasises fit.

Regardless with a 3.5 GPA, 4 years of seemingly solid WE, a 770 GMAT....you'd have to do a lot wrong to not get into the school of your choice.

I am asking to ignore my stats because I am thinking:

1) My stats are in line or above avg to typical Stern MBA
2) i can use this as leverage and maybe get better financial aid package/scholarship etc etc

I work at Big 4. Unlike i banking, they don't care about MBAs as much. CPA certification is like the top of the totem pole in my profession.

I want to get MBA in strategy or entrepreneurship and do something other than accounting. But I don't want to break the bank either since I have no interest in i banking or consulting (two fields where I can get massive job offers to pay off my debt)
SVP
SVP
Send PM
If you're looking for scholarship money, check out Cornell, Duke, and Darden.
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
agold wrote:

Thanks....

But when it comes to MBA and finding a job after graduation, NYU Stern ranks above Cornell, Duke, and Darden, no?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Stats by themselves are meaningless, Stern is, as a business school, more selective than a lot of M7 schools (<15% accepted).
Put "minimal time and effort" into your NYU application at your own risk.

The fact that you went to Stern undergrad will not count for much. IMO, the Stern undergraduate exprerience is most likely completely different from that of the Stern MBA. So to talk about "fit" with Stern based on your undergraduate years there is going to be just a little bit ridiculous.

agold wrote:
I really don't understand what you're so worried about. Your stats are well above the average for NYU Stern and you have solid work experience. Put together average to above-average essays and you will get in.

If I was in your shoes, I would be working hard on my Columbia/Chicago/Wharton/a couple other M7 school applications and put minimal time and effort into your NYU app.
Director
Director
 Q46  V47
Send PM
ninkorn wrote:
agold wrote:

Thanks....

But when it comes to MBA and finding a job after graduation, NYU Stern ranks above Cornell, Duke, and Darden, no?

For banking certainly. Not sure about other fields. I imagine that Stern MBA recruiting is similar to how it was as an undergrad: 65% banking, 30% accounting, 5% everything else.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
rca215 wrote:
ninkorn wrote:
agold wrote:

Thanks....

For banking certainly. Not sure about other fields. I imagine that Stern MBA recruiting is similar to how it was as an undergrad: 65% banking, 30% accounting, 5% everything else.

Do 65% of Stern undergrads really go into banking? I did my summer internship in NY and didn't meet a significant number of Stern undergrad doing bulge bracket.
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring &amp; Distressed M&amp;A
Send PM
Do 65% of Stern undergrads really go into banking? I did my summer internship in NY and didn't meet a significant number of Stern undergrad doing bulge bracket.[/quote]

That sounds about right. Most popular major was Economics and they all went into banking. Even fellow accounting majors ended up doing banking.
Director
Director
 Q46  V47
Send PM
ninkorn wrote:
Do 65% of Stern undergrads really go into banking? I did my summer internship in NY and didn't meet a significant number of Stern undergrad doing bulge bracket.

That sounds about right. Most popular major was Economics and they all went into banking. Even fellow accounting majors ended up doing banking.[/quote]

That was just a random guess on my part, but when I was there for undergrad finance was pretty much the only thing anyone cared about. It was frustrating.
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring &amp; Distressed M&amp;A
Send PM
That was just a random guess on my part, but when I was there for undergrad finance was pretty much the only thing anyone cared about. It was frustrating.[/quote]

Well NYU is a money whore.....they charged us ridiculous tuition and gave us tiny fin aid. Most people graduate with huge debt. No wonder everyone wants to go into banking. They have no choice if they want to pay off their student debt....
GMAT Club Bot