Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 04:58 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 04:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33031 [7]
Given Kudos: 5781
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
WE:Design (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33031 [0]
Given Kudos: 5781
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Re: LightTheStage, a stage lighting equipment rental company, charges $x [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

Apply the 4-Step Plan

Step 1: Preview the task.

A quick glance at the answer table tells you that this is a quantitative question. Additionally, all answer choices are algebraic expressions in x and y, so you will have to set up some sort of equation and solve for an unknown quantity.

Step 2: Read the prompt.

You have a vendor, a customer, the customer’s budget, and the vendor’s rental prices. Two absolute values are given (the theater’s lighting rental budget and the 4 weeks of the initial rental rate) and two variables for the two rental rates. Circle back to the tasks you have to perform. Note that they are similar but independent of each other. You will have to set up two algebraic expressions, one for each column, and solve the first one for the number of weeks per instrument, and the second one for the number of instruments per week.

Step 3: Proceed to solving, one column at a time.

Column 1: Let W be the maximum number of weeks that 1564 Theatre Group rents each of the 10 instruments. Then \(W – 4\) is the maximum number of weeks per instrument during which 1564 Theatre Group pays $y per instrument (since for the first 4 weeks it pays $x per instrument—and remember, that’s $x in total for each instrument for the first 4 weeks, not $x per week). The total cost per instrument, then, is \(x+y (W-4)\). The theater company is renting 10 instruments, so its total cost is \(10[x+y(W-4)]\) Equate this expression to $2,000 and solve for W:

\(10[x+y(W-4)] = 2000\)

\(x+y(W-4) = 200\)

\(x+yW-4y = 200\)

\(yW=200+4y-x\)

\(W=\frac{200+4y-x}{y}\)

Answer: \(\frac{200+4y-x}{y}\)

Column 2: Follow the same process you did for column 1. If 1564 Theatre Group is renting each instrument for 10 weeks, then it is paying $x for the first four weeks and $y per week for the remaining 6 weeks. Thus, it ispaying \(x + 6y\) in total for each instrument. Let I be the maximum number of instruments the theater company rents. Then, its total cost is \(I(x+6y)\) Equate this expression to $2,000 and solve for I:

\(I(x+6y)=2000\)

\(I=\frac{2000}{(X+6Y)}\)

Answer: \(I=\frac{2000}{(X+6Y)}\)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: LightTheStage, a stage lighting equipment rental company, charges $x [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi Sajjad1994

Option 5 & 6 are same

So both can be the answer

This one - (200+4y−x)/y

Can you please change it?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
How much time one should take on these questions ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Sajjad1994 wrote:
Official Explanation

Apply the 4-Step Plan

Step 1: Preview the task.

A quick glance at the answer table tells you that this is a quantitative question. Additionally, all answer choices are algebraic expressions in x and y, so you will have to set up some sort of equation and solve for an unknown quantity.

Step 2: Read the prompt.

You have a vendor, a customer, the customer’s budget, and the vendor’s rental prices. Two absolute values are given (the theater’s lighting rental budget and the 4 weeks of the initial rental rate) and two variables for the two rental rates. Circle back to the tasks you have to perform. Note that they are similar but independent of each other. You will have to set up two algebraic expressions, one for each column, and solve the first one for the number of weeks per instrument, and the second one for the number of instruments per week.

Step 3: Proceed to solving, one column at a time.

Column 1: Let W be the maximum number of weeks that 1564 Theatre Group rents each of the 10 instruments. Then \(W – 4\) is the maximum number of weeks per instrument during which 1564 Theatre Group pays $y per instrument (since for the first 4 weeks it pays $x per instrument—and remember, that’s $x in total for each instrument for the first 4 weeks, not $x per week). The total cost per instrument, then, is \(x+y (W-4)\). The theater company is renting 10 instruments, so its total cost is \(10[x+y(W-4)]\) Equate this expression to $2,000 and solve for W:

\(10[x+y(W-4)] = 2000\)

\(x+y(W-4) = 200\)

\(x+yW-4y = 200\)

\(yW=200+4y-x\)

\(W=\frac{200+4y-x}{y}\)

Answer: \(\frac{200+4y-x}{y}\)

Column 2: Follow the same process you did for column 1. If 1564 Theatre Group is renting each instrument for 10 weeks, then it is paying $x for the first four weeks and $y per week for the remaining 6 weeks. Thus, it ispaying \(x + 6y\) in total for each instrument. Let I be the maximum number of instruments the theater company rents. Then, its total cost is \(I(x+6y)\) Equate this expression to $2,000 and solve for I:

\(I(x+6y)=2000\)

\(I=\frac{2000}{(X+6Y)}\)

Answer: \(I=\frac{2000}{(X+6Y)}\)

­What should be time one should spend in a question like this?

GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92990 posts
DI Forum Moderator
1030 posts
RC & DI Moderator
11184 posts