GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2019, 08:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Like Auden, the language of James Merrill is chatty, arch, and convers

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Jun 2007
Posts: 478
Like Auden, the language of James Merrill is chatty, arch, and convers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 07 Jun 2017, 19:54
3
15
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

90% (00:32) correct 10% (00:48) wrong based on 770 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Like Auden, the language of James Merrill is chatty, arch, and conversational—given to complex syntactic flights as well as to prosaic free-verse strolls.

(A) Like Auden, the language of James Merrill
(B) Like Auden, James Merrill’s language
(C) Like Auden’s, James Merrill’s language
(D) As with Auden, James Merrill’s language
(E) As is Auden’s the language of James Merrill

Originally posted by eyunni on 11 Dec 2007, 09:43.
Last edited by hazelnut on 07 Jun 2017, 19:54, edited 2 times in total.
OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Mar 2006
Posts: 398
Re: Like Auden, the language of James Merrill is chatty, arch, and convers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2007, 10:39
1
Even if Auden is a language, the sentence will still be weird.

For example:
Like Spanish, French also has nouns in the masculine and feminine form.

I don't think you would say:
Like Spanish, Bill Clinton's French also has nouns in the masculine and feminine form.
or
Like Spanish, the language of Bill Clinton also has nouns in the masculine and feminine form.

It's just weird.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Nov 2007
Posts: 42
Re: Like Auden, the language of James Merrill is chatty, arch, and convers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2007, 22:26
2
eyunni wrote:
Like Auden, the language of James Merrill is chatty, arch, and conversational—given to complex syntactic flights as well as to prosaic free-verse strolls.
(A) Like Auden, the language of James Merrill
(B) Like Auden, James Merrill’s language
(C) Like Auden’s, James Merrill’s language
(D) As with Auden, James Merrill’s language
(E) As is Auden’s the language of James Merrill

My question here is: Why can't Auden be a language? How do you know that Auden is not a language?


I think Auden is a person here. Since the sentence is comparing the person's language (style of speaking), namely James Merrill's, to that of another who must also be a person, namely Auden. C should be correct. Like Auden's [language] is compared to James Merrill's language.

A is incorrect as one can't compare a person to another person's language.
B. incorrect for the same reason as above
D. Like is needed to compare people or things
E. Incorrect.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 09 Aug 2006
Posts: 599
Re: Like Auden, the language of James Merrill is chatty, arch, and convers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2007, 09:21
1
eileen1017 wrote:
Even if Auden is a language, the sentence will still be weird.

For example:
Like Spanish, French also has nouns in the masculine and feminine form.

I don't think you would say:
Like Spanish, Bill Clinton's French also has nouns in the masculine and feminine form.
or
Like Spanish, the language of Bill Clinton also has nouns in the masculine and feminine form.

It's just weird.


Actually, I think that the comparison in your second example is just fine...
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 09 Aug 2006
Posts: 599
Re: Like Auden, the language of James Merrill is chatty, arch, and convers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2007, 09:23
eyunni wrote:
Like Auden, the language of James Merrill is chatty, arch, and conversational—given to complex syntactic flights as well as to prosaic free-verse strolls.
(A) Like Auden, the language of James Merrill
(B) Like Auden, James Merrill’s language
(C) Like Auden’s, James Merrill’s language
(D) As with Auden, James Merrill’s language
(E) As is Auden’s the language of James Merrill

My question here is: Why can't Auden be a language? How do you know that Auden is not a language?


To answer your question, I guess you just have to go along with logic.
Choice's C and E mention 'Auden's' --> I think this construction (if Auden were a language) would be pretty strange even for the GMAT :)
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 May 2010
Posts: 77
Re: Like Auden, the language of James Merrill is chatty, arch, and convers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2010, 18:25
Why can't it be E? I thought we were not supposed to use 'Like', so I avoided C. "As is Auden's, the language of James Merrill" sounds fine to me.
_________________
Please give Kudos if you like my post
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2010
Posts: 206
Schools: Sloan R1, McCombs R1, Ross R1 (w/int), Haas R2, Kellogg R2
WE 1: Product Engineering/Manufacturing
Re: Like Auden, the language of James Merrill is chatty, arch, and convers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2010, 20:29
hetalcs wrote:
Why can't it be E? I thought we were not supposed to use 'Like', so I avoided C. "As is Auden's, the language of James Merrill" sounds fine to me.


"Like" is fine as a comparison in this case - the author is saying that Merril's language is similar to Auden's.

http://www.grammar-quizzes.com/like-as.html
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 17 Feb 2010
Posts: 892
Re: Like Auden, the language of James Merrill is chatty, arch, and convers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2010, 09:00
C is correct for comparing noun to noun.

Auden's [language] to James Merrill's language.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 12 Dec 2010
Posts: 214
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Other)
Reviews Badge
Re: Like Auden, the language of James Merrill is chatty, arch, and convers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2011, 11:44
GK_Gmat wrote:
eyunni wrote:
My question here is: Why can't Auden be a language? How do you know that Auden is not a language?


To answer your question, I guess you just have to go along with logic.
Choice's C and E mention 'Auden's' --> I think this construction (if Auden were a language) would be pretty strange even for the GMAT :)


well I hope you did not write just for sake of it- suppose for a moment Auden is a language then do you see any || comparison in any of the options. I mean what are you trying to say if Auden is a language- like a language, a language of .....(what is it ? does it conveys better meaning than consider Auden a person ?). try putting other options as well into equation you will realize the issue better!
_________________
My GMAT Journey 540->680->730!


~ When the going gets tough, the Tough gets going!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2013
Posts: 6
Re: Like Auden, the language of James Merrill is chatty, arch, and convers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2014, 07:56
eyunni wrote:
Like Auden, the language of James Merrill is chatty, arch, and conversational—given to complex syntactic flights as well as to prosaic free-verse strolls.

(A) Like Auden, the language of James Merrill
(B) Like Auden, James Merrill’s language
(C) Like Auden’s, James Merrill’s language
(D) As with Auden, James Merrill’s language
(E) As is Auden’s the language of James Merrill

My question here is: Why can't Auden be a language? How do you know that Auden is not a language?

OA:


(A) ==> "Auden" is compared to " the language of " and that's not correct
(B) ==> "Auden" is compared to " the language " and that's not correct
(C) ==> Correct answer
(D) ==> As needs a clause / so (D) is not correct (+ a // error )
(E) ==> meaning !!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Mar 2010
Posts: 252
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Re: Like Auden, the language of James Merrill is chatty, arch, and convers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2014, 21:39
IMO C.

We're comparing the languages (Nouns) of two persons, and hence we have to use 'Like/Unlike'.

Only C has the correct comparison.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 1
Re: Like Auden, the language of James Merrill is chatty, arch, and convers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2017, 21:38
official answer

At issue is a comparison of Auden's language with Merill's language. Only C, the best choice, uses the elliptical like Auden's ( language being understood), to compare Auden's language with Merill's language. A, B, and D compare Auden (the person) with Merill's language. Choice E is awkward and unidiomatic.
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 08 Jan 2018
Posts: 216
Location: United States (ID)
GPA: 3.33
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Like Auden, the language of James Merrill is chatty, arch, and convers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2018, 11:50
Parallel construction in C is correct
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 23 Feb 2015
Posts: 564
Re: Like Auden, the language of James Merrill is chatty, arch, and convers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2018, 16:47
Hi eyunni,

Thank you for your question. After looking over each answer quickly, there are a couple things that jump out to me:

1. the language of James Merrill / James Merril's language
2. the beginning of each answer: Like Auden / Like Auden's / As with Auden / As is Auden's

Let's start with #1 on the list, since it might narrow down our answers a bit. If you were to say "the language of James Merrill," a reader may misread this to say that there is a language spoken ONLY by James Merrill, or that James Merrill is a LOCATION where people speak a certain language. To better show that we're talking about possession, let's stick with only the answers that clearly show possession by saying "James Merrill's language." Thus, we can rule out answers A & E.

Now that we've narrowed it down to answers B, C, & D, let's look at #2 on the list - how each answer begins. To find the correct answer, we need to find the answer that uses parallel structure, in particular with each author's name:

(B) Like Auden, James Merrill’s language (WRONG = not parallel)
(C) Like Auden’s, James Merrill’s language (CORRECT = parallel)
(D) As with Auden, James Merrill’s language (WRONG = not parallel)

As you can see, answer B is correct because it shows proper possession and uses parallel structure.
_________________
"Students study. GMAT assassins train."
Image


The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Jan 2018
Posts: 24
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Nonprofit
GPA: 3.7
WE: Marketing (Advertising and PR)
Re: Like Auden, the language of James Merrill is chatty, arch, and convers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2018, 13:31
Saii wrote:
official answer

At issue is a comparison of Auden's language with Merill's language. Only C, the best choice, uses the elliptical like Auden's ( language being understood), to compare Auden's language with Merill's language. A, B, and D compare Auden (the person) with Merill's language. Choice E is awkward and unidiomatic.


how and where you find such Official explanation?
Senior SC Moderator
avatar
V
Joined: 22 May 2016
Posts: 3548
Like Auden, the language of James Merrill is chatty, arch, and convers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2018, 18:13
1
skidstorm wrote:
Saii wrote:
official answer

At issue is a comparison of Auden's language with Merill's language. Only C, the best choice, uses the elliptical like Auden's ( language being understood), to compare Auden's language with Merill's language. A, B, and D compare Auden (the person) with Merill's language. Choice E is awkward and unidiomatic.


how and where you find such Official explanation?

skidstorm , please see the tags at the top of this question.
The question comes from the Official Guide, Verbal Review (probably second edition - I have no way to check).
That same official answer is written, in reference to "SC 477/1,000" HERE.
Please also take a look HERE.

Hope that helps.
_________________
SC Butler has resumed! Get two SC questions to practice, whose links you can find by date, here.




Choose life.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Jan 2018
Posts: 24
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Nonprofit
GPA: 3.7
WE: Marketing (Advertising and PR)
Like Auden, the language of James Merrill is chatty, arch, and convers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2018, 19:47
generis wrote:
skidstorm wrote:
Saii wrote:
official answer

At issue is a comparison of Auden's language with Merill's language. Only C, the best choice, uses the elliptical like Auden's ( language being understood), to compare Auden's language with Merill's language. A, B, and D compare Auden (the person) with Merill's language. Choice E is awkward and unidiomatic.


how and where you find such Official explanation?

skidstorm , please see the tags at the top of this question.
The question comes from the Official Guide, Verbal Review (probably second edition - I have no way to check).
That same official answer is written, in reference to "SC 477/1,000" HERE.
Please also take a look HERE.

Hope that helps.


I lookup this question by using search feature, and the question should belong to gmat paper test, this is why I do not know how you can have the OE (official explanation)
My laptop screen does not contain the source at the head of the page. Also, I do not know how to find the explanation.
Senior SC Moderator
avatar
V
Joined: 22 May 2016
Posts: 3548
Like Auden, the language of James Merrill is chatty, arch, and convers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2018, 20:46
2
skidstorm wrote:

I lookup this question by using search feature, and the question should belong to gmat paper test, this is why I do not know how you can have the OE (official explanation)
My laptop screen does not contain the source at the head of the page. Also, I do not know how to find the explanation.

Attachment:
Like Auden screenshot tags.PNG

skidstorm
As I understand the issue, paper test questions do not have OG explanations.
See the co-founder of this site, bb , who reviews paper-based tests and explains many details HERE.

I've attached a screenshot of the tags, above. They are circled in red.

This question is very old. The alleged sources conflict: paper test (see above)? OG Verbal Review (see above)? SC 1000 series (see below)
Attachment:
screenshot for SC 1000 questions.PNG


I will see what I can do to sort out the matter.
It might take some time.

In the meantime -- although the explanation may not be official, it is correct. Cryptic, but correct.

Do you have doubts about the analysis with which I might help you?
_________________
SC Butler has resumed! Get two SC questions to practice, whose links you can find by date, here.




Choose life.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 06 Sep 2018
Posts: 173
Location: Pakistan
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GPA: 2.87
WE: Engineering (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Like Auden, the language of James Merrill is chatty, arch, and convers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2018, 03:49
(A) Like Auden, the language of James Merrill
(B) Like Auden, James Merrill’s language
(C) Like Auden’s, James Merrill’s language
(D) As with Auden, James Merrill’s language
(E) As is Auden’s the language of James Merrill
_________________
Hitting Kudos is the best way of appreciation. :)

Eric Thomas, "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful."
Intern
Intern
User avatar
S
Status: Active
Affiliations: NA
Joined: 27 Feb 2019
Posts: 25
Location: India
Schools: ISB '21, NUS '22, NTU '21
GPA: 3.8
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Like Auden, the language of James Merrill is chatty, arch, and convers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2019, 05:44
(A) Like Auden, the language of James Merrill - comparing auden vs language
(B) Like Auden, James Merrill’s language - comparing auden vs language
(C) Like Auden’s, James Merrill’s language - comparing language vs language
(D) As with Auden, James Merrill’s language - comparing auden vs language
(E) As is Auden’s the language of James Merrill[/quote] - as if auden's language is the same james have.

C wins!!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Like Auden, the language of James Merrill is chatty, arch, and convers   [#permalink] 29 Jul 2019, 05:44
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Like Auden, the language of James Merrill is chatty, arch, and convers

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne