Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:09 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Comparisonsx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3067 [35]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1598 [4]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [3]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 975 [1]
Send PM
Re: Like Auden, the language of James Merrill is chatty, arch, and convers [#permalink]
Kudos
eileen1017 wrote:
Even if Auden is a language, the sentence will still be weird.

For example:
Like Spanish, French also has nouns in the masculine and feminine form.

I don't think you would say:
Like Spanish, Bill Clinton's French also has nouns in the masculine and feminine form.
or
Like Spanish, the language of Bill Clinton also has nouns in the masculine and feminine form.

It's just weird.

Actually, I think that the comparison in your second example is just fine...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 975 [0]
Send PM
Re: Like Auden, the language of James Merrill is chatty, arch, and convers [#permalink]
eyunni wrote:
Like Auden, the language of James Merrill is chatty, arch, and conversational—given to complex syntactic flights as well as to prosaic free-verse strolls.
(A) Like Auden, the language of James Merrill
(B) Like Auden, James Merrill’s language
(C) Like Auden’s, James Merrill’s language
(D) As with Auden, James Merrill’s language
(E) As is Auden’s the language of James Merrill

My question here is: Why can't Auden be a language? How do you know that Auden is not a language?

To answer your question, I guess you just have to go along with logic.
Choice's C and E mention 'Auden's' --> I think this construction (if Auden were a language) would be pretty strange even for the GMAT :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Why can't it be E? I thought we were not supposed to use 'Like', so I avoided C. "As is Auden's, the language of James Merrill" sounds fine to me.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Cleantech
Schools:Sloan R1, McCombs R1, Ross R1 (w/int), Haas R2, Kellogg R2
WE 1: Product Engineering/Manufacturing
Send PM
hetalcs wrote:
Why can't it be E? I thought we were not supposed to use 'Like', so I avoided C. "As is Auden's, the language of James Merrill" sounds fine to me.

"Like" is fine as a comparison in this case - the author is saying that Merril's language is similar to Auden's.

https://www.grammar-quizzes.com/like-as.html
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3225 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
C is correct for comparing noun to noun.

Auden's [language] to James Merrill's language.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
GK_Gmat wrote:
eyunni wrote:
My question here is: Why can't Auden be a language? How do you know that Auden is not a language?

To answer your question, I guess you just have to go along with logic.
Choice's C and E mention 'Auden's' --> I think this construction (if Auden were a language) would be pretty strange even for the GMAT :)

well I hope you did not write just for sake of it- suppose for a moment Auden is a language then do you see any || comparison in any of the options. I mean what are you trying to say if Auden is a language- like a language, a language of .....(what is it ? does it conveys better meaning than consider Auden a person ?). try putting other options as well into equation you will realize the issue better!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Bookmarks
eyunni wrote:
Like Auden, the language of James Merrill is chatty, arch, and conversational—given to complex syntactic flights as well as to prosaic free-verse strolls.

OA:

(A) ==> "Auden" is compared to " the language of " and that's not correct
(B) ==> "Auden" is compared to " the language " and that's not correct
(C) ==> Correct answer
(D) ==> As needs a clause / so (D) is not correct (+ a // error )
(E) ==> meaning !!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1215 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
IMO C.

We're comparing the languages (Nouns) of two persons, and hence we have to use 'Like/Unlike'.

Only C has the correct comparison.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Bookmarks
official answer

At issue is a comparison of Auden's language with Merill's language. Only C, the best choice, uses the elliptical like Auden's ( language being understood), to compare Auden's language with Merill's language. A, B, and D compare Auden (the person) with Merill's language. Choice E is awkward and unidiomatic.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14675 [4]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi eyunni,

Thank you for your question. After looking over each answer quickly, there are a couple things that jump out to me:

1. the language of James Merrill / James Merril's language
2. the beginning of each answer: Like Auden / Like Auden's / As with Auden / As is Auden's

Let's start with #1 on the list, since it might narrow down our answers a bit. If you were to say "the language of James Merrill," a reader may misread this to say that there is a language spoken ONLY by James Merrill, or that James Merrill is a LOCATION where people speak a certain language. To better show that we're talking about possession, let's stick with only the answers that clearly show possession by saying "James Merrill's language." Thus, we can rule out answers A & E.

Now that we've narrowed it down to answers B, C, & D, let's look at #2 on the list - how each answer begins. To find the correct answer, we need to find the answer that uses parallel structure, in particular with each author's name:

(B) Like Auden, James Merrill’s language (WRONG = not parallel)
(C) Like Auden’s, James Merrill’s language (CORRECT = parallel)
(D) As with Auden, James Merrill’s language (WRONG = not parallel)

As you can see, answer B is correct because it shows proper possession and uses parallel structure.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Marketing, Nonprofit
GPA: 3.7
WE:Marketing (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Saii wrote:
official answer

At issue is a comparison of Auden's language with Merill's language. Only C, the best choice, uses the elliptical like Auden's ( language being understood), to compare Auden's language with Merill's language. A, B, and D compare Auden (the person) with Merill's language. Choice E is awkward and unidiomatic.

how and where you find such Official explanation?
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [1]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
skidstorm wrote:
Saii wrote:
official answer

skidstorm , please see the tags at the top of this question.
The question comes from the Official Guide, Verbal Review (probably second edition - I have no way to check).
That same official answer is written, in reference to "SC 477/1,000" HERE.
Please also take a look HERE.

Hope that helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Marketing, Nonprofit
GPA: 3.7
WE:Marketing (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
generis wrote:
skidstorm wrote:
Saii wrote:
official answer

skidstorm , please see the tags at the top of this question.
The question comes from the Official Guide, Verbal Review (probably second edition - I have no way to check).
That same official answer is written, in reference to "SC 477/1,000" HERE.
Please also take a look HERE.

Hope that helps.

I lookup this question by using search feature, and the question should belong to gmat paper test, this is why I do not know how you can have the OE (official explanation)
My laptop screen does not contain the source at the head of the page. Also, I do not know how to find the explanation.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [2]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
skidstorm wrote:

I lookup this question by using search feature, and the question should belong to gmat paper test, this is why I do not know how you can have the OE (official explanation)
My laptop screen does not contain the source at the head of the page. Also, I do not know how to find the explanation.

Attachment:
Like Auden screenshot tags.PNG

skidstorm
As I understand the issue, paper test questions do not have OG explanations.
See the co-founder of this site, bb , who reviews paper-based tests and explains many details HERE.

I've attached a screenshot of the tags, above. They are circled in red.

This question is very old. The alleged sources conflict: paper test (see above)? OG Verbal Review (see above)? SC 1000 series (see below)
Attachment:
screenshot for SC 1000 questions.PNG

I will see what I can do to sort out the matter.
It might take some time.

In the meantime -- although the explanation may not be official, it is correct. Cryptic, but correct.

Do you have doubts about the analysis with which I might help you?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GPA: 2.87
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: NA
Own Kudos [?]: -3 [0]
Given Kudos: 229
GPA: 3.8
WE:Business Development (Manufacturing)
Send PM
(A) Like Auden, the language of James Merrill - comparing auden vs language
(B) Like Auden, James Merrill’s language - comparing auden vs language
(C) Like Auden’s, James Merrill’s language - comparing language vs language
(D) As with Auden, James Merrill’s language - comparing auden vs language
(E) As is Auden’s the language of James Merrill[/quote] - as if auden's language is the same james have.

C wins!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 108 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Kudos
NishaTG wrote:

In option E, "As" is followed by a clause "is Auden's". The entire as-clause is a dependent clause which is not connected properly with the following Independent clause beginning with "the language of ......"

So there is a sentence construction error in option E.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts