Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:42 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618567 [44]
Given Kudos: 81562
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4095 [11]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1728 [1]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '18 (D)
GPA: 3.97
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 543 [3]
Given Kudos: 84
Send PM
Re: Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddl [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
globaldesi wrote:
Can any verbal expert give explanation, I felt B is also a good candidate.
Can some one point out whats wrong in B

The context is in the past, so use of "has"(present perfect) is not correct.

Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him, knew how to use a good story to generate good will.

(A) Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him, knew --> The context is in the past, so use of "has"(present perfect) is not correct

(B) Discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him, Lincoln knew --> same as A

(C) Lincoln, discovering the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned in young manhood before him, knew --> "in young manhood" should modify Lincoln (misplaced modifier)

(D) In young manhood Lincoln discovered the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned before him: --> correct

(E) Lincoln, discovered in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned before him, knew --> two main verbs w/o any conjunction
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 264 [2]
Given Kudos: 161
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Re: Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddl [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him, knew how to use a good story to generate good will.

(A) Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him, knew - present and past used together; Incorrect.

(B) Discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him, Lincoln knew - present and past used together; Incorrect.

(C) Lincoln, discovering the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned in young manhood before him, knew - Lincoln (and not Yankee peddler) discovered the secret in young manhood

(D) In young manhood Lincoln discovered the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned before him:
- Correct.

(E) Lincoln, discovered in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned before him, knew - seems as if Lincoln was discovered in young manhood. Incorrect.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 435 [2]
Given Kudos: 229
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 590 Q49 V22
WE:Other (Retail)
Send PM
Kudos
generis
If we take the correct option and replace it in the sentence, the sentence will look as:

In young manhood Lincoln discovered the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned before him: how to use a good story to generate good will.

What is the significance of the highlighted phrase, to the whole sentence?

I guess that the word "knew" is missing, but then also the question remains the same.

3 uses of Colon:
To present example.
To give definitions/explanations.
To answer questions.

The highlighted phrase is doing none of these.

Kindly help.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q51 V32
GPA: 4
WE:Business Development (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

(A) Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him, knew

(B) Discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him, Lincoln knew

(C) Lincoln, discovering the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned in young manhood before him, knew

(D) In young manhood Lincoln discovered the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned before him:

(E) Lincoln, discovered in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned before him, knew

You like a question even more when you get it right! Right?

My approach:
1) Read the sentence and understood that there are two events happening in the past, so I instinctively started looking for 'had'
2) Looking through the answer choices

Quote:
(A) Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him, knew

>> cannot find the 'had', wrong tenses, eliminated :dazed :exclamation

Quote:
(B) Discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him, Lincoln knew

>> cannot find the 'had', wrong tenses, eliminated :dazed :exclamation

Quote:
(C) Lincoln, discovering the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned in young manhood before him, knew

>> Alas! my beloved 'had', but the sentence seems to convey that the 'Yankee peddle learned in young manhood'. That is not what sentence wants to convey. The sentence clearly wants to convey that 'Lincoln had learned in young manhood'. :dazed :exclamation

Quote:

>> This sentence conveys the meaning very clearly. I really like this but as taught by GMATNinja, I did not fall in love with this option, kept it alive and moved forward. :angel: :heart

Quote:
(E) Lincoln, discovered in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned before him, knew

>> My first thought as soon as I read this was to compare the option with (D) and realise that (D) was much easier to understand. (I solely eliminated basis this but now I think I have better reason for elimination).
>> 'Discovered....' modifies Lincoln, that's fine. But, 'the secret that' is modifies young manhood. That is clearly wrong! :dazed :exclamation

Confidently marked option (D) and moved to the next question
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 430 Q30 V21
Send PM
globaldesi wrote:
Can any verbal expert give explanation, I felt B is also a good candidate.
Can some one point out whats wrong in B

'Has' is wrong in the sentence. Tenses

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Sometimes, POE can be best strategy.

(A) Lincoln, discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him, knew- Past perfect as one incident had already occurred in the past

(B) Discovering in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler has learned before him, Lincoln knew- Same as (A)

(C) Lincoln, discovering the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned in young manhood before him, knew- this seems he still is discovering the secret.

(D) In young manhood Lincoln discovered the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned before him: best alternative

(E) Lincoln, discovered in young manhood the secret that the Yankee peddler had learned before him, knew- Placement of Lincoln is much far in the sent me.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts