Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 05:16 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 05:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10020 [2]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Ross School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 108 [2]
Given Kudos: 111
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [1]
Given Kudos: 269
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.59
Send PM
Applicant Lab Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [3]
Given Kudos: 19
Schools: HBS - Class of 2005
Send PM
Re: Live Mock MBA Interview with HBS Alum & Ross MBA Student - Oct 22 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi there! Some quick answers to your questions below:
sj24 wrote:
How to answer/approach the following questions,

1.) What qualities would you look for in an MBA classmate when working on a team project? How will you contribute to the school?

For the qualities you're looking for, there are 2 approaches you can take:
    Students who will be useful for you (i.e. people you can learn from that will help you in your career)
    Personality wise, pick some of your favorite teamwork traits, say you're looking for someone with those traits, and then say something like, "I say this because this trait is very important for me in my career. For example, I always make sure to do X, and I like working with people who have the same values

For what you bring to campus, there are various buckets, but the primary contribution will be made via extra-curricular clubs. This question was handled in the video, so I won't go too much into it here.

Quote:
2.) What other programs have you applied to? What made you apply there if you were already applying to XXXX? What is the common factor among the schools I mentioned?

I have a lot of advice in ApplicantLab on how to answer this question, but you're on the right track -- you need to find schools that have a common factor (otherwise you will look disorganized or like you don't really know what you want). If you mention schools that are all over the place in terms of geography, duration, specializations, etc. then you risk not looking like you have a cogent plan for your studies. Remember what I said in the video: all schools want to feel like they are your first choice!

Quote:
3.) Assuming that your plan doesn't work out, what is your Plan B? Since you have a Plan B... why you think Plan A won’t work?

Remember that you're applying with a strong long-term vision, but there are many ways to reach that goal / destination. Your plan B must in some way also help you reach the same destination. That is, don't suddenly make a sharp turn to some other path -- you need to seem very dedicated to the career path you've laid out!

Hope these tips help!,
Maria
Applicant Lab Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Schools: HBS - Class of 2005
Send PM
Re: Live Mock MBA Interview with HBS Alum & Ross MBA Student - Oct 22 [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi there!

StrugglingGmat2910 wrote:
1) why you are opting for an MBA and why now?

We cover "Why MBA" in the video above; regarding "Why Now?" -- it depends upon whether or not you're in your early career, or later (that is, if you are more than 2 years younger / older than the average # of years of work experience for the class). If you're at the average number of years, it's unlikely you'll get asked this.

Either way, focus on how you already have a lot of great experience to bring to the classroom -- and how you've reached a sort of "ceiling" in your career where you can't advance (or can't advance as QUICKLY) without the MBA education in hand. IF you're young, focus on how your responsibilities are above and beyond what others at your age have done (e.g. managing others, managing budgets, etc.). If you're older, you can talk about how you thought earlier that you wouldn't need an MBA and that you would just learn on the job, but that it hasn't panned out that way and you see that the MBA is the fastest way to get this knowledge (or .... something like that!)

Quote:
2)How can the xyz school help you to attain your aforesaid plan?
3)why should the XYZ school select you considering you were competing for the last spot of the current year ?

The good news is, we cover variations of these 2 questions in the video. The "why should we select you" question is a variation of "what makes you unique?", which I think was the last question we did (via an audience question). The "How can the MBA program help you.." is covered in the "Why MBA" question, which was the 2nd question practiced in the video.

Thanks!
Ross School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 108 [0]
Given Kudos: 111
Send PM
ApplicantLab wrote:
Hi there! Some quick answers to your questions below:
sj24 wrote:
How to answer/approach the following questions,

1.) What qualities would you look for in an MBA classmate when working on a team project? How will you contribute to the school?

For the qualities you're looking for, there are 2 approaches you can take:
    Students who will be useful for you (i.e. people you can learn from that will help you in your career)
    Personality wise, pick some of your favorite teamwork traits, say you're looking for someone with those traits, and then say something like, "I say this because this trait is very important for me in my career. For example, I always make sure to do X, and I like working with people who have the same values

For what you bring to campus, there are various buckets, but the primary contribution will be made via extra-curricular clubs. This question was handled in the video, so I won't go too much into it here.

Quote:
2.) What other programs have you applied to? What made you apply there if you were already applying to XXXX? What is the common factor among the schools I mentioned?

I have a lot of advice in ApplicantLab on how to answer this question, but you're on the right track -- you need to find schools that have a common factor (otherwise you will look disorganized or like you don't really know what you want). If you mention schools that are all over the place in terms of geography, duration, specializations, etc. then you risk not looking like you have a cogent plan for your studies. Remember what I said in the video: all schools want to feel like they are your first choice!

Quote:
3.) Assuming that your plan doesn't work out, what is your Plan B? Since you have a Plan B... why you think Plan A won’t work?

Remember that you're applying with a strong long-term vision, but there are many ways to reach that goal / destination. Your plan B must in some way also help you reach the same destination. That is, don't suddenly make a sharp turn to some other path -- you need to seem very dedicated to the career path you've laid out!

Hope these tips help!,
Maria

Thank you so much, Maria.

Your video and these answers have been really helpful in getting clarity.

I just purchased the ApplicantLab interview module and finding it super helpful :)

I also found your recent video on recommendation very helpful as I'm an entrepreneur.

I have posted a query regarding that here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/i-m-an-entre ... 08879.html

Can you help with that query?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot