GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2019, 12:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Located within the historical site was neither the original documents

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
V
Located within the historical site was neither the original documents  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2018, 01:58
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

46% (01:20) correct 54% (01:21) wrong based on 300 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Located within the historical site was neither the original documents nor the folio that had once been stored there.

A. Located within the historical site was neither the original documents nor the folio that had once been stored there.

B. Located within the historical site were neither the original documents nor the folio that had once been stored there.

C. Located within the historical site were neither the original documents nor the folio that has once been stored there.

D. Neither the historical documents nor the folio that had once been stored there were located in the historical site.

E. Neither the historical documents nor the folio that has once been stored there was located within the historical site.

V
Re: Located within the historical site was neither the original documents  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2018, 02:39
Bunuel wrote:
Located within the historical site was neither the original documents nor the folio that had once been stored there.

A. Located within the historical site was neither the original documents nor the folio that had once been stored there.

B. Located within the historical site were neither the original documents nor the folio that had once been stored there.

C. Located within the historical site were neither the original documents nor the folio that has once been stored there.

D. Neither the historical documents nor the folio that had once been stored there were located in the historical site.

E. Neither the historical documents nor the folio that has once been stored there was located within the historical site.

VERITAS PREP OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

This problem presents you with a few concrete decision points: between "was" and "were" and between "has" and "had". Since sentences may often make sense in multiple tenses, the most obvious place to start is the difference between "was" and "were".

Answer choices (A), (B), and (C) are all inverted - the subject of the sentence comes after the verb. They also all feature the phrase "Neither the original documents nor the folio". Remember that whenever you are seeking to correct agreement when you have a neither/nor or either/or construction, that the noun that comes closest to the verb is the one that determines whether the subject is singular or plural. And because in this case the verb is before the "neither/nor" construction, the subject must be "original documents". Since this is a plural subject, it needs a plural verb, "were". This eliminates (A).

Answer choices (D) and (E) also have the "neither/nor" construction, but the verb appears after the subject. So while you still need to follow the rule of agreement by location, the noun closest to the verb has changed because the sentence has been rearranged. It is now the singular "folio", meaning that its matching verb must be "was". You can therefore eliminate (D).

Your second decision point is between "has" and "had" - a question of tense. Because the verb "has" implies that the folio and documents are still housed in the historical site, it is incorrect. You know from the other part of the sentence that the documents and folio are no longer there, so "has" is illogical. Eliminate (C) and (E), leaving you with correct answer (B), which has the correct "were" and "had".
V
Concentration: International Business, Operations
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Real Estate)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Located within the historical site was neither the original documents  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2018, 03:45
Bunuel wrote:

First of, we need a past perfect tense here to show two past events in sequence. So C and E are out.

In case of "Neither - nor" we choose the verb that is closer to the subject.

A is out as we need "were" because the verb is closer to "the original documents" (plural) than to "the folio"(singular)

D is out as we need "was" because the verb is closer to "the folio", which is singular.

We are left with B.

(B)

Please correct my reasoning if required.

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2019, 21:38
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Located within the historical site was neither the original documents   [#permalink] 18 Jul 2019, 21:38

Located within the historical site was neither the original documents

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics