GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 24 Apr 2018, 11:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Logic in Sentence Correction questions - need some help

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
WE: Analyst (Retail Banking)
Logic in Sentence Correction questions - need some help [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 05 Jan 2018, 07:36
Hi,

Can you please help me with those SCs, where some of the answers "change the intended logic", thus are immediately labeled as incorrect?

Example from the Manhattan book:

The humidity, air pollution, and noise have affected the children of Maria less drastically than those of her neighbor.

A) affected the children of Maria less drastically than those of
B) affected the children of Maria less drastically than

While there's nothing wrong with A, i was stunned by the official explanation of why the option B is wrong: "it changes the intended logic of comparing "children vs children" to "children vs neighbor".

I mean why the logic behind A >>> the logic behind B? Both seem fine to me: it is ok to compare the impact of the air pollution on children vs neighbor - why not?
Or there is some SC rule saying that "Logic in the option A is always the golden standard. Any other option that changes the logic, even if grammatically correct, is invalid"?

Thanks for the help.

Originally posted by worship on 05 Jan 2018, 07:15.
Last edited by worship on 05 Jan 2018, 07:36, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B
Logic in Sentence Correction questions - need some help [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2018, 07:26
And immediately the second example:

Content though she seems, the unhappiness of the housewife is evident to those who know her well.

D) Though the housewife seems content, her unhappiness
E) The unhappiness of the housewife who seems content

Again, i'm ok with D, but the official explanation to E is "The sentence should have a contrast within it. Even though the housewife seems
content, she is unhappy. E does not have this element of contrast".

Why the hell the sentence should have a contrast within it? Because this contrast exists in the option A (which is incorrect)? Can this be the reason for the invalid answer?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Re: Logic in Sentence Correction questions - need some help [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2018, 08:06
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Worship
Let me try please to explain the issues you have mentioned and then we can ask for expert guidance on this .
For the 1st question — this is an example of comparison. The sentence compares the effect of humidity , air pollution and noise on the children of Maria with the children of her neighbours.
But if we look a little closely and try to understand the meaning of the sentence given in option B , we
Will find that the comparison is not valid as there is no pronoun antecedent for children and thus it wrongly compares children with neighbours.
Whenever we try comparing two entities we should look always for the comparison of apples to apples i.e. we can check if there is any noun in the preceding clause and that it correctly compares with the noun in the succeeding clause .

For the 2nd example , according to Egmat approach , we should always go with the meaning of the original question sentence and then see if we have any errors grammatically and logically .

So If we take this example we see in option D there is a contrast but it option E the contrast is lost as no contrast word is present and this changes the intended meaning of the original sentence . So better to stick by the meaning given in the original sentence and then see the grammatical and logical correctness.

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2018, 03:04
Hi r24350,

Thanks for the clarifications, but they are still not clear enough :)

r24350 wrote:
Hi Worship
For the 2nd example , according to Egmat approach , we should always go with the meaning of the original question sentence and then see if we have any errors grammatically and logically .

So If we take this example we see in option D there is a contrast but it option E the contrast is lost as no contrast word is present and this changes the intended meaning of the original sentence . So better to stick by the meaning given in the original sentence and then see the grammatical and logical correctness.

Then let's take this example, also from the MGMAT book (mentioned here - https://gmatclub.com/forum/germany-s-mo ... 05077.html):

Germany's most infamous leader, Hitler's policies were responsible for the slaughter of 6 million Jews.
D) Germany's most infamous leader, Hitler caused
E) Hitler, Germany's most infamous leader, pursued policies that caused

Meaning of the original sentence - "policies caused smth, not Hitler himself", but OA somehow is D, not E. Why? D clearly changes the intended meaning of the sentence.
Official explanation is vague: "Choice E is not as efficient as D" - very helpful indeed.

Could you please help with this one as i am stuck with all these SCs, in which answers modify the logic of the original sentence...
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2018, 11:44
Hi Worship

Thanks a lot for this wonderful topic and discussion. Please keep it going . It will definitely increase my knowledge and will promote a healthy discussion.

Coming back to the question, in The original sentence as you say hitler made policies and these policies were responsible for people death .

Now between D and E , I will choose D as it says Hitler caused the death of people . We can indirectly say that Hitler caused the death as he made those policies .

Now see the subtle difference in the meaning of option E , this option states that Hitler pursued policies . It looks like Hitler was following some policy but actually it was Hitler who made this policy and he was not following any policy .

I know we can still debate on the topic of if Hitler made the policy , can’t he follow the policy but the option E seems to suggest he was following some policy may or may not be made by him . There is an ambiguity In the logic and therefore the option D seems more efficient in the way it conveys the meaning than E .

Hope it helps . Please do post other questions as this will help me and you to understand more of what we can expect in SC

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Re: Logic in Sentence Correction questions - need some help   [#permalink] 08 Jan 2018, 11:44

Logic in Sentence Correction questions - need some help

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap