Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 22:12 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:LBS
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Send PM
Re: LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT 2011 [#permalink]
Kudos
Don't worry about the living expenses too much. All the areas right around LBS are ridiculously expensive, because it's right near Regent's Park, but I would never live there. It's really not necessary for me to live within walking distance of the school. I lived in Zone 2 last year and paid £320 a month for a pretty good sized furnished room. I don't expect to get that lucky again, but under £500/month is completely feasible. Plus we get discounted Tube fares, and there's always Iceland's where you can get frozen meals for £1 (and Primark!). I only made £8.50 an hour and was able to take care of all my expenses and save up some money. The only problem is that you have to have the funding for what they've determined your living expenses will be up front. I'll get the money, but definitely won't spend all of it.

I paid a lot more in rent living in a shared room in Los Angeles than I did in London, even with the conversion.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Wow, £320 per month is amazing! May I ask how you found it?
I guess I will be living off of those £1 frozen meals from Icelands haha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Well, I happened to get lucky in that I was staying with my cousin while I was looking for a place and someone moved out. But that was the landlord's set price already. I lived near the Manor House tube station, in a two story house with a backyard, huge kitchen and a living room. So it is possible to find something reasonable. I'd try looking on Gumtree.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
I wish ESADE's topic was as active as LBS's one... Today I submitted my application but failed to make a payment. So an error page opened with following message:

" We have detected an error in the Application Process.
This may mean we have only captured a portion of your Application Information.
You can try refreshing the page to continue. If the problem persists, please, send us an e-mail describing the stage of the process where the problem occurred."

On top of this they require some documents to be sent by post, and since none of express mail services is available due situation in Europe I don't know what to do :|

If anyone of you had the same problem with fee payment, can u advice me something, is it a common error? :(

I would really appreciate ur support :))

LBS interview decisions will be on Friday !!! :S
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Schools:LBS MiM
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:
I'm looking into different housing options right now and I was wondering when your Orientation Week took place last year? The 2010 dates aren't confirmed yet. Also, would you suggest arriving in London 1 week or 2 weeks prior to the Orientation?

Last year we started off with Orientation Week on September 1. I have no information about the MiM2011 start.

Quote:
Hey Hofimax, I was wondering how the employment rate is right now for the current MiMs. Also, woud you be able to share a little bit about the types of students who are struggling to find jobs right now? For example, what are they're backgrounds, maybe where they are in the class, and what companies they have tried? Thanks!

Just wanted to add here, that my fellow MiMs are still getting job offers on a constant basis (for example 3 during last week). Also those who are looking for jobs in their country of origin are often still in the application process. Furthermore I guess that up to 10% or so are not actively looking for a job for various reasons... be it a family company, further education...
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 1
 Q46  V34
Send PM
About the commitment fee payment...

I've paid it through the portal and sent an email with the Payment Form... that's it? I mean, I received an automatic reply email saying "you have paid the 1500GBP" but nothing else.

However, with the 6000GBP, you have to send the Payment Form through email with the credit card details... would I get a reply to that email?

I am just worried they won't received the email or whatever and I'll be rejected for not paying!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@Hofimax, would you mind giving us a general overview of the types of roles and positions MiM's are being recruited into in different industries ? Are ibanking and consulting taking up a big piece of the pie? Thanks! Also, do you happen to know anyone who is having more trouble landing a job because of the lack of stellar internships? That's something that worries me because it appears that a lot of the people in the class have great internships while I don't have a good one.

@Kitsune, I'm sorry I can't help you there at all since I haven't paid or figured out how to pay yet :P But as far as I know, the 6000 GBP is due in May so it's not as urgent!
Manager
Manager
 Q46  V34
Send PM
@anner,

It's not urgent, but I leave for SE Asia on the 7th and I would like to have everything done before leaving! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Schools:LBS MiM
Send PM
Quote:
Hofimax, would you mind giving us a general overview of the types of roles and positions MiM's are being recruited into in different industries ? Are ibanking and consulting taking up a big piece of the pie? Thanks! Also, do you happen to know anyone who is having more trouble landing a job because of the lack of stellar internships? That's something that worries me because it appears that a lot of the people in the class have great internships while I don't have a good one.

MiMs are generally recruited for graduate roles (pre-MBA/pre-experience), which means for UK-based jobs we compete with LSE, Oxbridge, ... Typically that will be Business Analyst in Consulting and Finance and Trainee/Graduate Schemes in Industry. A lot of people wanted into ibanking and consulting but slots were extremely limited this year and competition ridiculous as well. Nevertheless, I would say the majority will go into these two sectors. Some managed to get positions in VC/PE. I do not have the impression that people without "big name" internships have more troubles finding a job than those who have. I guess being at LBS proves that you should be taken seriously. This may be a bit different with the absolute top firms, but even here I am not sure at all.
In the first weeks of the MiM programme you will spend a lot of time tailoring a perfect CV and Cover Letter, and this helps a lot being able to present the experience you got in the best possible way.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hey fellow applicants in stage 4, anyone has got the email from LBS? :-D i hvn't heard anything yet :S
Intern
Intern
Send PM
zevot wrote:
hey fellow applicants in stage 4, anyone has got the email from LBS? :-D i hvn't heard anything yet :S

Not yet...
The excruciating wait is still on. Keep everyone posted if anyone receives any mail.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Just got the reply. Progressing to the interview stage :)

I'm sure u guys will be interviewed as well :)

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@ Hofimax, thank you very much for your reply. So basically what you're saying is that although consulting and ibanking positions have been very hard to come by, a lot of people are getting recruited into them? (you mentioned that you think "majority of will go into these sectors"). Also, I understand that the recruitment for banking and consulting is very early on (October ) - does that mean that if you don't get an offer during that time, you've lost your chance for these 2 sectors?

Sorry about all these questions Hofimax! and thank you very in advance for your help :)

@ anyone waiting for round 4 decisions: in my experience they tend to send out invitations for interviews at the very last minute ie 6-7pm GMT ( I don't know how that happens but I got my email at 1:50 pm EST which is 5 hours behind GMT). I know it's nerve wrecking on the day of, but do keep that in mind and good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Haven't received a reply yet :( But my friend got a ding :( :(
Another friend was invited to an interview..

I become a little bit nervous about my WE, it's more than 1 year. They wrote the following:

If you are planning on re-applying, you will need to make sure that you do not exceed the maximum of one year of work experience requirement. We also recommend that you re-apply only if you can highlight new aspects of personal and professional growth and/or demonstrate improvements made in areas of academic weakness.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Schools:Esade, LBS
Send PM
I just got an email asking me to provide more information about my plans for the summer. I don't have much work experience so I guess they wanted to know if I'll be working on that this summer. Anyone else get a similar email? I'm not sure exactly what to make of it but it can't be a good sign
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@WVB
sorry for your friend getting dinged
i am sure they will see the potential within you and gd luck
hope u can get the interview. :-D :-D

@Zinx
which stage are you in? the deadline for wvb, me and lovewaffle was in early April.
i did get an email on this wednesday asking me to clarify my internships last summer as some of them apparently overlapped within the same timeframe.
i think as long as you show sufficient skills developed in other activities, it's not absolutely essential to have work exp.
gd luck! :-D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
None of my friends got an email like this... New information, I got a ding :(
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  13   14   15   16   17   18   19  ...  24   
Moderator: