It is currently 23 Nov 2017, 05:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Low GPA, Low GMAT score. Any advice is welcome. Really worried.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Low GPA, Low GMAT score. Any advice is welcome. Really worried. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2017, 12:01
A little bit about me:
I was born in India but moved to Mauritius withing 6 months of being born because of my dad's work. Since then, I've moved to a different country every 3 years. All over the world; Mauritius, Rome, Ethiopia, Canada, Malaysia, Japan, Dubai. I finally came back to India in 2011 for my undergrad. All of this moving has had a toll on me psychologically. No long term friends, my home-country didn't feel like home, nowhere felt like home to be honest. I do know one thing though; I cannot adjust living in India having spent all my life in countries like canada and rome.

My problem:
Finally after a lot of convincing, my dad decided to get posted to Chicago, his last posting before retirement. So, I currently live in Chicago, trying to get my life together. If I don't get into a school I'll have to go back to India which I prefer would not happen because of the reasons mentioned above.
I could really use some advice on where I can apply, or how I can start this process of gathering myself and doing something with my life.

Here's the deal, I have an abysmally low GPA in my undergrad (2.37) and my GMAT score was average (540) I've Taken the GMAT 3 times already, but I did it 2 years ago. I want to study further whether its an MSc or an MBA, and it doesn't really matter if its a top b-school or not, i just wanna study, but i just don't know where to apply or where to start. I've wasted 3 years of my life doing absolutely nothing due to being depressed and not realizing it, but I finally want to get my life back together and do something but I can't find a stepping stone to do it.

anything other than studying is not an option for me right.

Desired country of study: USA
Desired State of study: Illinois (not important but would be awesome if it was Illinois)
Desired level of study: Masters.
Desired term of entry: ASAP

Please, I implore the gmatclub community to come together and help me out with this.

Hoping to get replies soon.

Thanking you,
Ashish

Last edited by Zoxuul on 04 Nov 2017, 12:39, edited 1 time in total.

Board of Directors
D

Kudos [?]: 920 [0], given: 67

GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Low GPA, Low GMAT score. Any advice is welcome. Really worried. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2017, 12:10
Hey Zoxuul ,

I believe if you really improve your GMAT, you can get into a good college of course with the quality of essays and strong reasons for all the gaps you mentioned.

I would prefer working hard on Gmat and get the decent score (the more the better).

Step 1: determine the schools you think you are comfortable with.

Step 2: Once done, find out the average Gmat score and Gmat score range of those schools.

Step 3: try to get Gmat score of higher range of those schools.

Step 4: Write best quality essays and proof them that despite your low gpa , you are ready for their rigorous curriculum.

All the best :)

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Kudos [?]: 920 [0], given: 67

Intern
Intern
B

Re: Low GPA, Low GMAT score. Any advice is welcome. Really worried. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2017, 14:05
abhimahna wrote:
Hey Zoxuul ,

I believe if you really improve your GMAT, you can get into a good college of course with the quality of essays and strong reasons for all the gaps you mentioned.

I would prefer working hard on Gmat and get the decent score (the more the better).

Step 1: determine the schools you think you are comfortable with.

Step 2: Once done, find out the average Gmat score and Gmat score range of those schools.

Step 3: try to get Gmat score of higher range of those schools.

Step 4: Write best quality essays and proof them that despite your low gpa , you are ready for their rigorous curriculum.

All the best :)

Problem is, I've already taken the GMAT thrice, I did it 2 years ago, and as far as I know more than 3 times looks really bad, or am I wrong?

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Kudos [?]: 29112 [0], given: 5272

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2017, 14:17
You mean if you get a 750 on top of a few 540's, the 750 will look bad? Think again.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Kudos [?]: 29112 [0], given: 5272

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Thread Master
S

Kudos [?]: 48 [1], given: 7

Concentration: Operations
Schools: Broad '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2017, 16:01
This post received
KUDOS
Zoxuul wrote:
A little bit about me:

Here's the deal, I have an abysmally low GPA in my undergrad (2.37) and my GMAT score was average (540) I've Taken the GMAT 3 times already, but I did it 2 years ago. I want to study further whether its an MSc or an MBA, and it doesn't really matter if its a top b-school or not, i just wanna study, but i just don't know where to apply or where to start. I've wasted 3 years of my life doing absolutely nothing due to being depressed and not realizing it, but I finally want to get my life back together and do something but I can't find a stepping stone to do it.

Thanking you,
Ashish

As you stand, this a big hurdle, as is a lack of coherent work experience. I don't think an mba would be your best bet. Maybe a masters in accouting, finance, or some other specialized master would be the way to go. These degrees will let you get an entry level job somewhere and get you back on track. You also get to take the GRE for these, which is worth a try if the gmat doesn't seem to improve

Kudos [?]: 48 [1], given: 7

Re: Low GPA, Low GMAT score. Any advice is welcome. Really worried.   [#permalink] 04 Nov 2017, 16:01

Low GPA, Low GMAT score. Any advice is welcome. Really worried.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap