It is currently 10 Dec 2017, 23:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

M01-17

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 135178 [0], given: 12671

M01-17 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 00:15
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

38% (00:32) correct 62% (00:34) wrong based on 207 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 135178 [2], given: 12671

Re M01-17 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 00:15
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Official Solution:

(1) \(-m=|-m|\). First of all \(|-m|=|m|\), (for example: \(|-3|=|3|=3\)), so we have \(-m=|m|\), as the right hand side of the equation (RHS) is absolute value which is always non-negative, then LHS, \({-m}\) must also be non-negative: \(-m\geq 0\). Rewrite as: \(m \leq 0\), so \(m\) could be either negative or zero. Not sufficient.

(2) \(m^2=9\). Either \(m=3=\text{positive}\) or \(m=-3=\text{negative}\). Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) Intersection of the values from (1) and (2) is \(m=-3=negative\), hence answer to the question "is \(m \lt 0\)" is YES. Sufficient.

Answer: C

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 135178 [2], given: 12671

Current Student

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 17

Schools: Queens'17
Re: M01-17 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2014, 07:59
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

(1) \(-m=|-m|\). First of all \(|-m|=|m|\), (for example: \(|-3|=|3|=3\)), so we have \(-m=|m|\), as the right hand side of the equation (RHS) is absolute value which is always non-negative, then LHS, \({-m}\) must also be non-negative: \(-m\geq 0\). Rewrite as: \(m \leq 0\), so \(m\) could be either negative or zero. Not sufficient.

(2) \(m^2=9\). Either \(m=3=\text{positive}\) or \(m=-3=\text{negative}\). Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) Intersection of the values from (1) and (2) is \(m=-3=negative\), hence answer to the question "is \(m \lt 0\)" is YES. Sufficient.

But 0 is neither +ve nor -ve. So why is it -m>=0 and not -m>0??

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 17

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 135178 [1], given: 12671

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2014, 08:28
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
bilbo wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

But 0 is neither +ve nor -ve. So why is it -m>=0 and not -m>0??

Because \(-m=|-m|\) holds for 0 too: -0 = 0 = |-0|.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Kudos [?]: 135178 [1], given: 12671

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 7

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re M01-17 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2015, 15:31
I think this question is good and helpful.
Had a different take. If an integer is prefixed by the - (neg) sign, it cannot be zero by definition. Hence 1 should be sufficient to answer this. Can you clarify my thought process.

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2015, 04:36
padhy02 wrote:
Had a different take. If an integer is prefixed by the - (neg) sign, it cannot be zero by definition. Hence 1 should be sufficient to answer this. Can you clarify my thought process.

That's not correct at all. There is nothing wrong in writing -0=|-0|.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Intern
Intern

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2015, 08:12
Bunuel wrote:
padhy02 wrote:

Hi Bunuel, there still seems to be some confusion in my head. :|
The article on Wikipedia on 'Sign in Mathematics' made me more confused.

Hope such ambiguous/debatable concepts are not tested in the GMAT.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [1], given: 5

GPA: 3.44

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2015, 09:18
This post received
KUDOS
padhy02 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
padhy02 wrote:

Hi Bunuel, there still seems to be some confusion in my head. :|
The article on Wikipedia on 'Sign in Mathematics' made me more confused.

Hope such ambiguous/debatable concepts are not tested in the GMAT.

You have to be a little bit careful about the logic you're following on this question.

From the outset, the only trustworthy information you have is that m is a real number and you're asked to determine if it's less than 0. The logical path you started going down is the false belief that, because of statement (1), m has to be either a negative or positive real number. This is incorrect. What Statement 1 is really saying is, "If you multiply m by -1 it will equal the absolute value of the m multiplied by -1." Which, as Bunuel said, holds true for 0 as well as any negative real number.

Hope this helps you. This is not an ambiguous/debatable concept and I strongly recommend practicing similar questions types as you will likely see multiple on a GMAT exam.

Kudos [?]: 7 [1], given: 5

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2015, 12:03
Hi Bunuel,

I have a doubt. In the absolute value article you have stated the following:
|x| equals x if x>=0 or -x if x<0
math-absolute-value-modulus-86462.html

However in this question you have mentioned :
m≤0, so m could be either negative or zero

Should the first bold be instead -- -x if x≤0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2015, 01:39
Randude wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

I have a doubt. In the absolute value article you have stated the following:
|x| equals x if x>=0 or -x if x<0
math-absolute-value-modulus-86462.html

However in this question you have mentioned :
m≤0, so m could be either negative or zero

Should the first bold be instead -- -x if x≤0

Since |0| = 0, then you can include equal sign in either of cases.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 82

GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GPA: 2.75
Reviews Badge
Re M01-17 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2016, 14:01
I think this is a high-quality question and I agree with explanation.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 82

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

WE: Law (Law)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2016, 00:15
Hi Bunuel, both (1) and (2) give us the option that m could be (+) or (-), then why do we conclude that the intersection is only the negative value?

Thanks for your help.

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2016, 04:34
varunnair wrote:
Hi Bunuel, both (1) and (2) give us the option that m could be (+) or (-), then why do we conclude that the intersection is only the negative value?

Thanks for your help.

HOW did you get this?

From (1): \(m \leq 0\), so \(m\) could be either negative or zero.

From (2): \(m=3=\text{positive}\) or \(m=-3=\text{negative}\).

(1)+(2) \(m=-3=negative\).

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Intern
Intern

WE: Law (Law)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2016, 10:17
You're right Bunuel. Error on my part. Thanks for the help.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Concentration: Operations, Leadership
Schools: Booth PT '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V26
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge
Re M01-17 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2016, 06:47
I think this is a high-quality question and I agree with explanation. Good question, need to consider every possible scenario

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 70

Concentration: Technology, Operations
M01-17 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2017, 16:10
Bunuel wrote:

Too me a long time to understand this. Plugging in values makes it clear. For -m = | -m | we can find:

m = 1
-1 = | -1|
-1 = 1
Doesn't make sense. m cannot be 1.

m = 0
-0 = | -0|
0 = 0.
Make sense.

m = -1
1 = | 1|
1 = 1. Makes sense.

So for statement 1, m can be -1 or 0. Insufficient.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 70

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 195

Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q48 V20
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2017, 04:24
Bunuel

As −m=|−m|
can't we write |-m| as m^2 ?

In that case -m = m^2
m^2 + m= 0
m(m+1)=0

m could be either 0 or -1.

Please let me know the gaps in my understanding.
Thanks in advance Bunuel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When nothing seem to help, I would go and look at a Stonecutter hammering away at his rock perhaps a hundred time without as much as a crack showing in it.
Yet at the hundred and first blow it would split in two.
And I knew it was not that blow that did it, But all that had gone Before

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 195

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2017, 04:30
Prashant10692 wrote:
Bunuel

As −m=|−m|
can't we write |-m| as m^2 ?

In that case -m = m^2
m^2 + m= 0
m(m+1)=0

m could be either 0 or -1.

Please let me know the gaps in my understanding.
Thanks in advance Bunuel.

First of all notice that any negative number as well as 0 satisfy −m=|−m|.

Next, no, |-m| does not equal to m^2. I think you were thinking about \(\sqrt{m^2}=|m|\).

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Re: M01-17   [#permalink] 11 Oct 2017, 04:30

M01-17

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap