GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Aug 2018, 04:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

M32-06

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
V
M32-06  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2016, 05:39
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (01:15) correct 33% (00:53) wrong based on 48 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If triangle ABC is right angled at vertex A, what is the area of triangle ABC?

(1) AB + AC = 8.

(2) The length of the largest side of the triangle is \(5 \sqrt 2\)

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Math Expert
V
Re M32-06  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2016, 05:39
Official Solution:

The are of a right triangle is \(\frac{leg_1*leg_2}{2}=\frac{AB*AC}{2}\). Basically to answer the qurestion we need to find the value of AB*AC.

(1) AB + AC = 8. This statement is clearly insufficient. We can have infinite number of combinations of the lengths.

(2) The length of the largest side of the triangle is \(5 \sqrt 2\). The largest side of a right triangle is hypotenuse but knowing the length of the hypotenuse is not enough to get the area. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) Square (1): \((AB)^2 + 2(AB)(AC)+(AC)^2 = 8^2\). From Pythagoras theorem we know that \((AB)^2 +(AC)^2 = (BC)^2=(5 \sqrt 2)^2=50\). Therefore, \((AB)^2 + 2(AB)(AC)+(AC)^2 =50+2(AB)(AC)= 8^2\). This leads to \((AB)(AC)=7\). Sufficient.

Answer: C

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Intern
Intern
Re: M32-06  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2016, 17:17
Statement 2: (base)^2 + (height)^2 = (hypotenuse)^2
b^2 + h^2 = (5sqrt2)^2 = 50
only values of b & h that work are b = 1 and h = 7 or b = 7 and b = 1. (1 + 49 = 50). Both lead to the same area.

Answer B?

Ahh, nevermind. I incorrectly assumed b and h are integers. I'll post this anyway in case someone came to the same erroneous conclusion.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GPA: 3.66
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2016, 23:58
Bunuel wrote:

(1) AB + AC = 8.

1. Why is B not the answer? we can say it is an isosceles right-angled triangle.

2. I am not able to comprehend the solution, how do we arrive at 2(AB)(AC)

Thank you.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2016, 01:00
PrakruthiJagadish wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

(1) AB + AC = 8.

1. Why is B not the answer? we can say it is an isosceles right-angled triangle.

2. I am not able to comprehend the solution, how do we arrive at 2(AB)(AC)

Thank you.

1. Knowing the length of the hypotenuse is not sufficient to get the area.

2:
Square (1): \((AB)^2 + 2(AB)(AC)+(AC)^2 = 8^2\).

From Pythagoras theorem we know that \((AB)^2 +(AC)^2 = (BC)^2=(5 \sqrt 2)^2=50\).

Substitute \((AB)^2 +(AC)^2 = 50\) into \((AB)^2 + 2(AB)(AC)+(AC)^2 = 8^2\) to get \(50+2(AB)(AC)= 8^2\).

\(50+2(AB)(AC)= 8^2\)

\((AB)(AC)=7\). Sufficient.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 590 Q36 V35
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2016, 18:11
Hi Bunuel,

In these problems, is it wrong to assume that because triangle ABC is a right triangle and its hypotenuse is 5√2, then it's other two sides are 5 and 5? (its a 45,45,90 triangle).

Also, if I think that this (2 sides with a length of 5) could be an option, can I compare these results with the first statement?
Knowing that they don't add up to 8 could be a clue that those values can't be valid. Would this comparison be okay? (considering that statements don't contradict each other)

Thanks!
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2016, 01:28
nelliegu wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

In these problems, is it wrong to assume that because triangle ABC is a right triangle and its hypotenuse is 5√2, then it's other two sides are 5 and 5? (its a 45,45,90 triangle).

Also, if I think that this (2 sides with a length of 5) could be an option, can I compare these results with the first statement?
Knowing that they don't add up to 8 could be a clue that those values can't be valid. Would this comparison be okay? (considering that statements don't contradict each other)

Thanks!

As a rule one shouldn't assume anything on the DS. Why should ABC be isosceles? Is there any single piece of information that supports this? NO!

You are right about the second observation though - if you wrongly assume that ABC is in fact isosceles you could quickly see that it cannot be true because it contradicts the first statement and the statements in DS never contradict each other.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 3.7
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2017, 06:23
hi,

can someone pl. confirm if the following relation is true for a right angled trianle:

Median = 0.5 * hypotenuse
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2017, 06:28
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2017, 03:45
Bunuel

I have a query on this question.
I reached to the conclusion that 1 and 2 are not sufficient independently.
However, while combining 1 & 2, I took the below options.

AB+BC=8 can have options many options of value like 1+7, 2+6, 3+5, 4+4.
and as (2) says that Hyp \sqrt{50} then it means that sides AB and BC have to have values whose sum = 8.

So, while solving it, I came across that AB and AC can have all different values. (are we not supposed to take multiple combinations for sum of 8?)
With different values of the sides, there shall be multiple options, and hence I concluded that C is not sufficient and that E is the answer.

Also, I have gone through the OA and OE given by you. That makes sense to my mind.
But I still can't figure where my reasoning went wrong?

Please help and suggest!
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2017, 04:03
GMATAspirer09 wrote:
Bunuel

I have a query on this question.
I reached to the conclusion that 1 and 2 are not sufficient independently.
However, while combining 1 & 2, I took the below options.

AB+BC=8 can have options many options of value like 1+7, 2+6, 3+5, 4+4.
and as (2) says that Hyp \sqrt{50} then it means that sides AB and BC have to have values whose sum = 8.

So, while solving it, I came across that AB and AC can have all different values. (are we not supposed to take multiple combinations for sum of 8?)
With different values of the sides, there shall be multiple options, and hence I concluded that C is not sufficient and that E is the answer.

Also, I have gone through the OA and OE given by you. That makes sense to my mind.
But I still can't figure where my reasoning went wrong?

Please help and suggest!

1. From x + y = 8 you cannot assume that the only solutions are the ones you've listed. We are not told that x and y are integers, thus x + y = 8 has infinitely many solutions.

2. We have two equations: x + y = 8 and x^2 + y^2 = 50. If you solve them in conventional way, you'll get that x = 1 and y = 7 OT x = 7 and y = 1. The area is xy/2, so in either way you get the same answer 7/2. In my solution above we were able to get the area without solving the equation, so we took the shortcut way to get the value of xy and not individual values of x and y.

Hope it helps.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2017, 14:23
How did you know to go from "Substitute (AB)2+(AC)2=50 into (AB)2+2(AB)(AC)+(AC)2=8^2"? Thanks
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2017, 21:07
gkestler wrote:
How did you know to go from "Substitute (AB)2+(AC)2=50 into (AB)2+2(AB)(AC)+(AC)2=8^2"? Thanks

Substitute (AB)^2 +(AC)^2 = 50 into (AB)^2 + 2(AB)(AC)+(AC)^2 = 8^2 to get 50+2(AB)(AC)= 8^2.

Could you please tell me what is unclear there?

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Re: M32-06 &nbs [#permalink] 05 Dec 2017, 21:07

M32-06

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap