Last visit was: 30 Apr 2024, 13:08 It is currently 30 Apr 2024, 13:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GRE 1: Q165 V167
GPA: 3.22
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 620 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Admission Consultant
Affiliations: TheIvyLeagueEdge
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [0]
Given Kudos: 153
TheIvyLeagueEdge: Bala
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
M7 Profile Evaluation Fall 2024 [#permalink]
Dleex93 wrote:
1) Demographic
Nationality: Korean-American

Age: Slightly higher than we would have liked. However, quite workable for a veteran, esp with your uniqueness in ethnicity.

Dleex93 wrote:
2) Educational Background:
Undergrad: Virginia Tech
Undergrad Major: Industrial and Systems Engineering
GMAT: 720 (Q47/V41)

Both GMAT & GPA just about the threshold. Fair chances, but not flattering.

Dleex93 wrote:
3) Work experience:
8 years of service as an officer in the United States Navy
Here are a few highlights:
- Led multiple cross-functional teams directly responsible for the safe navigation of 2 separate $4 billion warships with over 400 crew members throughout the Middle East and the Pacific.
- Developed strategies and managed delivery of defense operations during 4 major operation to enforce United Nations Security Council Resolutions, directly advancing North Korea decluearization negotiations
- Represented the US Navy during multiple international and interbranch events as the primary liaison for improving logistics and defense coordination with Japan, South Korea, and Australia. Ultimately coordinating multinational surface, air, and submarine assets among these countries.
- Executed the tasking and protection of every US national asset including aircraft carriers and submarines operating in the Pacific and Indian Ocean.

These are fantastic, and will make your resume really shine, and your application really strong. Assuming that this also means you will be able to get very strong recommendations, your application part will make you a highly desirable applicant.

A minor offset in your applications to US schools is that with your kind of accomplishments, and age, you may actually find a greater fit with European schools, generally more favourable to your age (and experience) bracket. [/quote]

Dleex93 wrote:
4) Extracurriculars:
- Triathlon Club: Started a triathlon club at my last office to spread my passion for running, cycling, and swimming. We got to interact with many Japanese teams all over Japan and signed up for many different types of races. Running the Mt. Fuji Marathon and completing an Ironman are a few of my favorite moments with the team.
- Service 2 School Mentor: Mentor transitioning military members to get into their dream undergraduate school.

Exceptional... ECs can hold upto about 5% of the application strength, and you get full marks on that.

Dleex93 wrote:
5) Goals:
Why MBA: I believe that I have experienced every level of mission planning and execution within the Navy to include unit level tasking and higher headquarter planning and management. With no ambition of furthering my career, now is the perfect time to transition and pursue my MBA.
Short Term Goal: MBB Consulting and gain experience in a large city within the US.
Long Term Goal: As I have lived abroad for the majority of my career in the Navy (stationed in Japan for 5 years), I intend on coming back to Asia to bridge gaps in the market between the East and West.

Your ST & LT goals will have to sync better, and flow better. But the broad framework works.

Dleex93 wrote:
6) Schools:
R1
Wharton
Columbia Business School
Kellogg

Questions:
1. Is it worth retaking my GMAT? The highest I scored on my Mock was a 750 (Q48/V44), but in all honesty, not sure if I want to put in another month of studying. It has already been a gruesome 8 months of balancing active duty and studying.

2. Are there any weak areas that I need to address for my target schools?

Thank you for reading my post. I am open to any feedback and critique.

1. Retaking your GMAT can not hurt; a score of 740+ would work very well.
2. Weak areas are quite a few; some of those may not be addressable, but you may want to choose the best fit.

Additionally, your school preferences seem to be heavily influenced by the rankings. Some of your goals don't FIT a school that well. My suggestions therefore, would be to choose your schools better, and that will require some homework along this area.

Hope this helps. For a deeper, personalised profile assessment, and to ask any questions, please message me on LinkedIn.
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: M7 Profile Evaluation Fall 2024 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Dleex93,

Thank you for sharing your profile. Your profile looks good on the surface. Starting with your GMAT, your score of 720 (Q47/V41) is already quite strong and falls within the range of the target schools you've mentioned. While a higher score is always advantageous, especially for competitive programs, it's not necessary to retake the GMAT if you feel you have reached your limit after months of studying. Your mock score of 750 demonstrates your potential, and a 720 is still a competitive score that can support a strong application. Your undergraduate GPA of 3.22 is slightly below the average for top MBA programs. You can address this by highlighting your academic achievements or any specific coursework or projects that demonstrate your analytical and problem-solving skills. Emphasize any upward grade trends or challenging courses that showcase your ability to handle academic rigor.

While your work experience in the Navy is impressive, it would be beneficial to highlight specific instances where you had a direct impact and demonstrated leadership. Focus on the outcomes of your leadership roles and the influence you had on your teams and operations. Quantify your achievements and provide concrete examples that illustrate your ability to lead and make a difference.

Speaking about your ECs, your involvement in the triathlon club and mentorship program demonstrates your well-roundedness and commitment to personal growth and community service. Make sure to highlight the leadership and teamwork skills you developed through these activities. Additionally, consider expanding your extracurricular involvement to showcase further your interests, such as taking on leadership roles in professional organizations or participating in volunteer initiatives that align with your long-term goals.

Craft compelling essays that clearly convey your motivation, goals, and the unique perspective you bring from your military experience. Make sure to connect your experiences to the skills and knowledge you hope to gain from an MBA program. Choose recommenders who can provide detailed insights into your professional achievements, leadership potential, and ability to thrive in an MBA environment.

Overall, your profile is strong and you have a good chance of being considered for admission to top business schools. Ensure that your application presents a cohesive narrative that highlights your leadership, impact, and potential. Use your essays and recommendations to provide a deeper understanding of your experiences and aspirations. We would like to learn more about your profile to analyze your chances better. Please feel free to schedule a free profile evaluation call with us.

Book a free profile evaluation call now!

Good Luck!

Neha Hadke
Strategy Manager
Email: neha@mbaandbeyond.com
Testimonials
Meet our Panel of Consultants.

MBA and Beyond

Dleex93 wrote:
1) Demographic
Nationality: Korean-American

2) Educational Background:
Undergrad: Virginia Tech
Undergrad Major: Industrial and Systems Engineering
GMAT: 720 (Q47/V41)

3) Work experience:
8 years of service as an officer in the United States Navy
Here are a few highlights:
- Led multiple cross-functional teams directly responsible for the safe navigation of 2 separate $4 billion warships with over 400 crew members throughout the Middle East and the Pacific.
- Developed strategies and managed delivery of defense operations during 4 major operation to enforce United Nations Security Council Resolutions, directly advancing North Korea decluearization negotiations
- Represented the US Navy during multiple international and interbranch events as the primary liaison for improving logistics and defense coordination with Japan, South Korea, and Australia. Ultimately coordinating multinational surface, air, and submarine assets among these countries.
- Executed the tasking and protection of every US national asset including aircraft carriers and submarines operating in the Pacific and Indian Ocean.

4) Extracurriculars:
- Triathlon Club: Started a triathlon club at my last office to spread my passion for running, cycling, and swimming. We got to interact with many Japanese teams all over Japan and signed up for many different types of races. Running the Mt. Fuji Marathon and completing an Ironman are a few of my favorite moments with the team.
- Service 2 School Mentor: Mentor transitioning military members to get into their dream undergraduate school.

5) Goals:
Why MBA: I believe that I have experienced every level of mission planning and execution within the Navy to include unit level tasking and higher headquarter planning and management. With no ambition of furthering my career, now is the perfect time to transition and pursue my MBA.
Short Term Goal: MBB Consulting and gain experience in a large city within the US.
Long Term Goal: As I have lived abroad for the majority of my career in the Navy (stationed in Japan for 5 years), I intend on coming back to Asia to bridge gaps in the market between the East and West.

6) Schools:
R1
Wharton
Columbia Business School
Kellogg

Questions:
1. Is it worth retaking my GMAT? The highest I scored on my Mock was a 750 (Q48/V44), but in all honesty, not sure if I want to put in another month of studying. It has already been a gruesome 8 months of balancing active duty and studying.

2. Are there any weak areas that I need to address for my target schools?

Thank you for reading my post. I am open to any feedback and critique.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: M7 Profile Evaluation Fall 2024 [#permalink]