It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 10:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

M7 VS TOP 15

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Oct 2017
Posts: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

M7 VS TOP 15 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2017, 10:02
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Will career opportunities drastically change if i don’t attend M7 schools? Personally, I want to get into consulting. When I look at Kellogg’s employment report, I see greater number of students getting into top tier firms (MBB) than students from Fuqua/Ross. That being said, I think schools can only provide interview opportunity at these firms and it is upto us to make use of that.
Do you think it is reasonable to reapply next year to a M7 school when I already have an admit from Fuqua/Ross ? A part of me wants to attend an ultra elite school and the other part says that Fuqua/Ross will provide me with similar opportunities. What is your take on this?
On a different note, do you think the quality of student body differs drastically between Kellogg and Fuqua?

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
D
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 15979

Kudos [?]: 29359 [0], given: 5298

Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: M7 VS TOP 15 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2017, 10:07
Both Fuqua and Ross will work great for consulting focus. In part, there are stronger applicants who get into Kellogg for example and thus have better chances at MBB than those who get into Ross for instance. I know that many top 10/15 schools have consulting reps on campus. For example Fuqua has 4-5 different consulting firm reps on campus 4 days a week observing students, networking and recruiting. They attend classes and keep notes on everyone. You can come by and talk to them any time you wish. I know from personal experience, one of the mods recruited into McKinsey from Fuqua quite early (Oct/Nov timeframe) through the on campus rep.

So for consulting, I don't think you will miss out/gain much by climbing a few spots in the ranking ladder in your particular example.
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan


Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Kudos [?]: 29359 [0], given: 5298

VP
VP
avatar
B
Joined: 07 Apr 2009
Posts: 1203

Kudos [?]: 489 [0], given: 19

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Premium Member
Re: M7 VS TOP 15 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2017, 08:47
whymba909 wrote:
Will career opportunities drastically change if i don’t attend M7 schools? Personally, I want to get into consulting. When I look at Kellogg’s employment report, I see greater number of students getting into top tier firms (MBB) than students from Fuqua/Ross. That being said, I think schools can only provide interview opportunity at these firms and it is upto us to make use of that.
Do you think it is reasonable to reapply next year to a M7 school when I already have an admit from Fuqua/Ross ? A part of me wants to attend an ultra elite school and the other part says that Fuqua/Ross will provide me with similar opportunities. What is your take on this?
On a different note, do you think the quality of student body differs drastically between Kellogg and Fuqua?

Look at this problem less from prestige of school, but what will you potential gain/risk by delaying start of MBA by 1 year for a potential at a better school.

Gain:
* Bragging right of attending Kellogg vs. Fuqua/Ross.
* More work experience, which may translate into better job opportunity post graduation. Every year of business related experience makes you much more savvy in navigating corporate politics. The difference between these school's ranking has minimal impact on your ability to get placed (all things equal).
* Potentially getting into higher ranked school.

Risk:
* Worst job market at graduation. Let's face it, 4 years from now, we are likely to be staring at a economic correction. Not to say the chances are lower in 3 years (matriculate 2018, graduate 2020).
* More competitive b-school market. Admission is based as much as supply & demand, as it is on candidate quality. I remember it was ridiculously difficult to get into top tier school during the great recession, because everyone (laid off bankers, etc.) were all applying to b-school. Acceptance back into Fuqua/Ross after you turn them down will be more difficult, because schools do play the yield management game.
* Life changes make you less suited for M/B/B. If you get married, or have kids, it's really tough to manage any consulting lifestyle as an entry-level consultant. Employers can't discriminate on age, but make no-doubt, it's considered.

Other Points:
Better students? Maybe, depending on how you measure student quality. You are thinking better students = better academics; my opinion is that the academic experience is probably very similar. You may even get better teaching at smaller top 25 schools than at bigger elite school. If you are thinking better students = better connection = better alumni, that's more likely true. The caveat is the alumni willingness to help current students. Also, connection your can leverage with your classmate depends on your true inner circle of friends who will pull for you.

Kudos [?]: 489 [0], given: 19

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 24 Jun 2016
Posts: 247

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 13

Location: Viet Nam
Schools: Booth '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q60 V60
GPA: 4
Re: M7 VS TOP 15 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2017, 00:29
asimov wrote:
whymba909 wrote:
Will career opportunities drastically change if i don’t attend M7 schools? Personally, I want to get into consulting. When I look at Kellogg’s employment report, I see greater number of students getting into top tier firms (MBB) than students from Fuqua/Ross. That being said, I think schools can only provide interview opportunity at these firms and it is upto us to make use of that.
Do you think it is reasonable to reapply next year to a M7 school when I already have an admit from Fuqua/Ross ? A part of me wants to attend an ultra elite school and the other part says that Fuqua/Ross will provide me with similar opportunities. What is your take on this?
On a different note, do you think the quality of student body differs drastically between Kellogg and Fuqua?

Look at this problem less from prestige of school, but what will you potential gain/risk by delaying start of MBA by 1 year for a potential at a better school.

Gain:
* Bragging right of attending Kellogg vs. Fuqua/Ross.
* More work experience, which may translate into better job opportunity post graduation. Every year of business related experience makes you much more savvy in navigating corporate politics. The difference between these school's ranking has minimal impact on your ability to get placed (all things equal).
* Potentially getting into higher ranked school.

Risk:
* Worst job market at graduation. Let's face it, 4 years from now, we are likely to be staring at a economic correction. Not to say the chances are lower in 3 years (matriculate 2018, graduate 2020).
* More competitive b-school market. Admission is based as much as supply & demand, as it is on candidate quality. I remember it was ridiculously difficult to get into top tier school during the great recession, because everyone (laid off bankers, etc.) were all applying to b-school. Acceptance back into Fuqua/Ross after you turn them down will be more difficult, because schools do play the yield management game.
* Life changes make you less suited for M/B/B. If you get married, or have kids, it's really tough to manage any consulting lifestyle as an entry-level consultant. Employers can't discriminate on age, but make no-doubt, it's considered.

Other Points:
Better students? Maybe, depending on how you measure student quality. You are thinking better students = better academics; my opinion is that the academic experience is probably very similar. You may even get better teaching at smaller top 25 schools than at bigger elite school. If you are thinking better students = better connection = better alumni, that's more likely true. The caveat is the alumni willingness to help current students. Also, connection your can leverage with your classmate depends on your true inner circle of friends who will pull for you.


Great points. I also think that delaying your next career move by a year is very costly from a lifetime value perspective. Going to business school one year later means delaying your post-school plans by a year, including your potential retirement. A year of your life is something you can never get back. If you think you should go to business school, go to business school early.

If you're MBB material, wherever you go you will be MBB material. The average student will be different, but you yourself won't. The advantage in going to a better school is you're surrounded by smarter, more accomplished individuals in general, an experience that may affect your inspirations and aspirations. That said, Fuqua is just as good as an M7 school. Not quite sure about Ross though.
_________________

Offering top quality online and offline GMAT tutoring service in Vietnam, Southeast Asia, and worldwide.

$60/hour as of November 2017.


http://www.facebook.com/HanoiGMATtutor
HanoiGMATTutor@gmail.com

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 13

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 11 Feb 2016
Posts: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.63
Re: M7 VS TOP 15 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2017, 12:04
I went through the recruiting process last year and will add a few points. Purely comparing employment numbers ie how many people got men jobs isn’t quite accurate protrayal for career opportunities at MBB for several reasons:
1) Fuqua places into southern regional MBB offices eg Atlanta, which are generally smaller offices with less rainmaking partners and consultants work on less attractive projects. NYC, SF, Chi are typically the best offices and these seats are mostly filled by M7 candidates.
2) I don’t know, but I think an important question to ask is how many of the Fuqua placements are into less desirable roles like implementation or operations groups compared to the more desirable strategy consulting groups
3) MBB partnerships are almost exclusively (not entirely) comprised of M7 (but particularly HBS, Wharton, and Kellogg). Having this built-in network is highly advantageous for building relationships, staffings, and career advancement.

Having said all that, reapplying has significant risks and costs. At the end of the day, an Atlanta-based operations consultant earns as much as nyc based strategy consultant, but if you’re gunning for a very competitive office, the path from Fuqua may be challenging

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Oct 2017
Posts: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

M7 VS TOP 15 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2017, 08:00
CreatingValue wrote:
I went through the recruiting process last year and will add a few points. Purely comparing employment numbers ie how many people got men jobs isn’t quite accurate protrayal for career opportunities at MBB for several reasons:
1) Fuqua places into southern regional MBB offices eg Atlanta, which are generally smaller offices with less rainmaking partners and consultants work on less attractive projects. NYC, SF, Chi are typically the best offices and these seats are mostly filled by M7 candidates.
2) I don’t know, but I think an important question to ask is how many of the Fuqua placements are into less desirable roles like implementation or operations groups compared to the more desirable strategy consulting groups
3) MBB partnerships are almost exclusively (not entirely) comprised of M7 (but particularly HBS, Wharton, and Kellogg). Having this built-in network is highly advantageous for building relationships, staffings, and career advancement.

Having said all that, reapplying has significant risks and costs. At the end of the day, an Atlanta-based operations consultant earns as much as nyc based strategy consultant, but if you’re gunning for a very competitive office, the path from Fuqua may be challenging


What bothers me the most is that every student seems to defend their school and won't even share what they don't like about their school. A Ross student(my friend), told me that most of their students work in Chicago offices!
I started to understand that MBA selection process is not purely meritorious and several factors like diversity come into play. I think it would be foolish for companies to hire only at M7 schools assuming that they have better intellectual horsepower/leadership skills. My numerous conversations with students from Kellogg and Ross solidified that belief. That being said, I can clearly see the culture difference between Kellogg and Ross. My visit to Ross gave me an impression that students tend to hangout within their own cultural groups ( Asians hanging out with Asians, Indians with Indians etc), I may be wrong though.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

M7 VS TOP 15   [#permalink] 29 Nov 2017, 08:00
Display posts from previous: Sort by

M7 VS TOP 15

  new topic post reply Update application status  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.