GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2018, 14:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

MAcc @ Ross (Michigan) v. MSc Business Analytics @ Miami (FL) w/$$$

new topic post reply Update application status  

• 100% [1]
  • 0% [0]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
MAcc @ Ross (Michigan) v. MSc Business Analytics @ Miami (FL) w/$$$  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2018, 15:50
Hi there,

I am a senior accounting major at Michigan State. Currently I have got offers from the two programs mentioned in the title.

As of now, I prefer the offer from Miami. Firstly, every year PWC come to MSU campus, I attend; and every year, they address students the importance of data and IT in today’s business world. As I aspire to work for the consulting/advisory branch at one of the Big Four firms, I think it is a good idea to get some education regarding data science and IT. I think knowledge of handling data and an accounting background combined will make me a competitive job market candidate in the future. Secondly, a generous amount of scholarship comes with Miami’s offer, increasing the program’s cost-benefit performance.

On the other hand, many of my friends encouraged me to choose the MAcc program at Ross, stating that its reputation alone, from a long-term perspective, will beat all the advantages of the MSBA program at Miami mentioned above.

I really cannot make a choice right now, so I decide to post this to see what you guys think. I will certainly appreciate your advice!
SVP
SVP
D
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: MAcc @ Ross (Michigan) v. MSc Business Analytics @ Miami (FL) w/$$$  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2018, 16:55
Congrats for admission

Honestly, the comparison is not valid. We should compare apple to apple. In Ross, it is pure traditional accounting and the other is pure data analytics which is really good and up-to-date I delved into both programs. The university of Miami lacks any employment data which is huge concern for, while Ross has a good employment report with recruiter like PWC and Deloitte. Have you talked to any current school or career office in Miami about careers after graduation? Without this data you can't make solid decision.
Intern
Intern
Re: MAcc @ Ross (Michigan) v. MSc Business Analytics @ Miami (FL) w/$$$  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2018, 20:20
Mo2men wrote:
Congrats for admission

Honestly, the comparison is not valid. We should compare apple to apple. In Ross, it is pure traditional accounting and the other is pure data analytics which is really good and up-to-date I delved into both programs. The university of Miami lacks any employment data which is huge concern for, while Ross has a good employment report with recruiter like PWC and Deloitte. Have you talked to any current school or career office in Miami about careers after graduation? Without this data you can't make solid decision.
Thank you for your reply! I talked with the program director of Miami and the placement has been great (it is a small class, annual intake around 40). The only concern right now is about people’s perception of Miami. It seems like people outside the FL area either see Miami as a party school or have not heard of it. Do you think this will be a problem?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
SVP
SVP
D
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2018, 05:28
niamabie wrote:
Thank you for your reply! I talked with the program director of Miami and the placement has been great (it is a small class, annual intake around 40). The only concern right now is about people’s perception of Miami. It seems like people outside the FL area either see Miami as a party school or have not heard of it. Do you think this will be a problem?

Actually, this is hard to tell. It depends on you and you personality. I will try to give questions to think of.

From reputation point of view, I agree with them about Ross but the reputation is a start to build career. Would you choose something only for reputation even you do not prefer it? Here, you will graduate juts as an accountant like others. Or would you be start in a new on demand career from less reputed university?

Here another point, I can see Miami gives you a generous scholarship. Can you take a loan to continue you MSc? or start your career somehow with less burden? I do not know if you had loans for undergraduate study? Another idea came across my mind: what if save money or loans for later MBA program from Ross or from any other big schools?

Are you tied to linked to MI or Midwest states or would like to live FL or southern states?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2018, 10:04
Mo2men wrote:
niamabie wrote:

Actually, this is hard to tell. It depends on you and you personality. I will try to give questions to think of.

From reputation point of view, I agree with them about Ross but the reputation is a start to build career. Would you choose something only for reputation even you do not prefer it? Here, you will graduate juts as an accountant like others. Or would you be start in a new on demand career from less reputed university?

Here another point, I can see Miami gives you a generous scholarship. Can you take a loan to continue you MSc? or start your career somehow with less burden? I do not know if you had loans for undergraduate study? Another idea came across my mind: what if save money or loans for later MBA program from Ross or from any other big schools?

Are you tied to linked to MI or Midwest states or would like to live FL or southern states?
Thank u very much! Your questions are right to the point. I figured it out that I would prefer going to Miami than going to Ross ONLY for its name and study accounting which I am not really that into. The savings from the generous scholarships will help with pursuing a MBA from a big name school later in my career

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
SVP
SVP
D
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2018, 10:54
niamabie wrote:
Thank u very much! Your questions are right to the point. I figured it out that I would prefer going to Miami than going to Ross ONLY for its name and study accounting which I am not really that into. The savings from the generous scholarships will help with pursuing a MBA from a big name school later in my career

I'm happy that you start to think about the topic from different views. Good luck :-)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: MAcc @ Ross (Michigan) v. MSc Business Analytics @ Miami (FL) w/$$$ &nbs [#permalink] 21 Mar 2018, 10:54

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch, swbluedevil

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap