GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2018, 07:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

November 22, 2018

November 22, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Free lesson on number properties

November 23, 2018

November 23, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

Many art historians use Roman copies of Greek statues in order

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Many art historians use Roman copies of Greek statues in order  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2018, 08:06
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

50% (02:03) correct 50% (02:14) wrong based on 151 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Many art historians use Roman copies of Greek statues in order to learn more about Greek sculpture. A problem with this strategy is that statues were often adapted from Greek prototypes to suit the taste of Roman patrons. Indeed, these statues often have distinctive features that are not specific to Greek style.
Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the criticism made above of the art historians' strategy?
A. All Roman copies of Greek statues share a number of important characteristics that are absent from original Roman sculpture.
B. Most ancient statues were melted down for reusable metal.
C. All art historians focus on one particular region or nationality in their studies.
D. Many art historians who study Roman art do not make conclusions about Greek art on the basis of their observations.
E. even those Roman statues that are not based on Greek artwork are significantly different from other forms of ancient sculpture.

Source - ready4gmat

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood

Director
Director
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.76

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 11 Mar 2018, 11:20
by POE will go with A here ...waiting for OA ..

Originally posted by sobby on 09 Mar 2018, 18:36.
Last edited by sobby on 11 Mar 2018, 11:20, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Re: Many art historians use Roman copies of Greek statues in order  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2018, 19:13
I will go with B . D is a strengthener I think. C and E Irrelevant. A may b a subtle weakener but that too based on many assumptions, so reject it.

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

Manager
Manager
G
Premium Member
Re: Many art historians use Roman copies of Greek statues in order  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2018, 02:57
Option A talks about Roman sculpture. But in the argument we are concerned with Greek sculpture. So what makes A as the correct answer

Please mention my name in your valuable replies.

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V41

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2018, 10:00
Many art historians use Roman copies of Greek statues in order to learn more about Greek sculpture. A problem with this strategy is that statues were often adapted from Greek prototypes to suit the taste of Roman patrons. Indeed, these statues often have distinctive features that are not specific to Greek style.
Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the criticism made above of the art historians' strategy?

A. All Roman copies of Greek statues share a number of important characteristics that are absent from original Roman sculpture. This tell us that there are noticeable differences between Roman and Greek statues, whereas the passage contends that there aren't because some features are universal. Therefore, this answer weakens the original statement.
B. Most ancient statues were melted down for reusable metal. Irrelevant, because it doesn't state anything about the style of Greek/Roman statues
C. All art historians focus on one particular region or nationality in their studies. Irrelevant too. Just because it may be hard for experts to spot as they are proficient in the style of a particular nationality the differences it doesn't mean that these differences don't exist.
D. Many art historians who study Roman art do not make conclusions about Greek art on the basis of their observations. Similar to C
E. even those Roman statues that are not based on Greek artwork are significantly different from other forms of ancient sculpture. Not a weakener

My goal: 700 GMAT score - REACHED :-) | My debrief - first attempt 710 (Q44,V41,IR7)

If I could help you with my answer, consider giving me Kudos

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 01 Apr 2018, 10:40
Premise: many art historians use roman statues to learn about greek sculpture.
Conclusion: This is a bad strategy because Roman statues were basically derivatives of Greek statues and not the most accurate representation of Greek scuplture.

I chose D because it states that many art historians are studying these Roman statues (derivatives of Greek sculpture) but are not making any conclusions about Greek art based on that. It could mean that they are referring to these statues for whatever reasons but they are not using them to infom their learnings.

How is D wrong?

Originally posted by sidvarma on 01 Apr 2018, 09:34.
Last edited by sidvarma on 01 Apr 2018, 10:40, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2018, 09:47
aragonn wrote:
A. All Roman copies of Greek statues share a number of important characteristics that are absent from original Roman sculpture.
B. Most ancient statues were melted down for reusable metal.
C. All art historians focus on one particular region or nationality in their studies.
D. Many art historians who study Roman art do not make conclusions about Greek art on the basis of their observations.
E. even those Roman statues that are not based on Greek artwork are significantly different from other forms of ancient sculpture.

Source - ready4gmat

A. All Roman copies of Greek statues share a number of important characteristics that are absent from original Roman sculpture. - If this is true, it means that Roman Sculpture and Roman Copies of Greek sculpture are distinct. Therefore, the art historians studying such copies would be able to correctly distinguish between the Greek sculpture and the Roman Sculpture, which would in turn, help them learn about the Greek Sculpture. This opposes the author's claim that studying copies of Greek Sculpture rather than the original sculpture would not help the historians learn more about the Greek Sculpture.
B. Most ancient statues were melted down for reusable metal. Irrelevant, because this option does not distinguish between Greek and Roman sculptures.
C. All art historians focus on one particular region or nationality in their studies.This is a very generalised statement which does not touch the matter at all and is irrelevant.
D. Many art historians who study Roman art do not make conclusions about Greek art on the basis of their observations.This does not weaken the argument and goes beyond the scope of argument because we are not concerned with art historians who study Roman art.
E. even those Roman statues that are not based on Greek artwork are significantly different from other forms of ancient sculpture.Same reasoning as in D. This is Out of Scope, in that, we are not concerned with Roman statues not based on Greek Artwork.

"Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people to think they can't lose" - Bill Gates.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Many art historians use Roman copies of Greek statues in order &nbs [#permalink] 01 Apr 2018, 09:47

Many art historians use Roman copies of Greek statues in order

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap